BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Deer feeders

Said I'd start a thread on this.

A couple weeks ago Wal Mart had their $99 deer feeders on close out for $45. Well with that kind of price I decided I had to buy 2. We do not hunt over feeders but my hunting buddy and I set them up near where we hunt to help influence deer movement.

Today was set up day. I had planned to just get 10 bushels of corn dumped in the back of my pickup, but one elevator was only open during harvest season, one did not sell small amounts like that, and the third had problems with their scale. So instead I just picked up 4 bags of corn at the feed store. The cost was higher, but I didn't want to spend extra on gas to dive to a town with an elevator. 100 pounds in each feeder will get us by, and the elevator with the broken scale will have it fixed by the time we need corn again.

Here's a few pictures of myself setting up and filling one feeder, and my buddy working on his. We set trail cameras on the feeders so I will post some pictures as we go along. Depending on the weather I'll probably check the cameras Mon or Tue. The cameras also take video, so I may give that a try once the deer get used to the feeder.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:16 PM

Good pictures....
By starting now, by next season you will have grown your own "30 point buck"

Good luck..
Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Great pics - thanks for sharing them!

Those feeders look like a great bargain for $45 - glad you posted the pics since I didn't realize how tall they were.

Looking forward to the trail cam pics.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:13 PM

Yeah it is interesting getting feed in them, lol. Won't be able to just run down on the 4 wheeler with a couple bags of corn. That is my son in laws ranger in the picture. I can also use my converted golf cart since it's close to the same height. I could get a pickup backed up to the first feeder, but the second one is too far in the woods to get a pickup to it.

I figure it may take a few days for the deer to get used to them. But turkeys won't be bothered in the least once they find them. And turkey season is only 30 days away.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Looking forward to seeing what critters trip your cams in the next 30 days.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 PM

You have the ideal spot there for a food plot

I'd mow it close to the ground, and maybe disk it very lightly, if you have the equipment, and spread a couple of types of Clover ASAP, and you could have a decent stand by early Summer.

It won't get too tall, it will help keep grass out, and in the Fall you can scatter Wheat and Oats that will grow through most of the Winter and provide free food for the Deer
Old 02-22-2015, 08:42 PM

We did food plots two years ago. They consisted of rape and 6 different types of clover. The first year the rape got taller then I thought, but it did give good cover for the clover so it could get a good start.

Here is a couple pictures the first year with the rape.

This is last summer when the clover had taken over. I'm hoping to get another year or two out of the original plots. I figure they'll start to thin by then so we'll disk them back up and replant again.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I figure they'll start to thin by then so we'll disk them back up and replant again.
I think if you mow it short a few times during the Summer, the Clover will spread and help choke out some of the grass.

Then you can overseed instead of disking and starting from scratch, since Clover spreads from both seeds and rhizomes

Once I got my pastures established, I seldom had to reseed as long as I didn't let grass and weeds get too thick.

It looks like the deer are enjoying it quite a bit
Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 AM

For easy filling, I've seen a lot of rigs made up to hang them rather than using the legs.

Then you use a cheap boat winch and some pulleys to raise and lower them as needed
Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I think if you mow it short a few times during the Summer, the Clover will spread and help choke out some of the grass.

Then you can overseed instead of disking and starting from scratch, since Clover spreads from both seeds and rhizomes
Overseeding may work if I lightly touch it with a small disk. The different types of clover I planted had an expected 3 to 5 year life for a good stand, and as you say if the stand is not thick enough the grass and other weeds will start creeping back in.

Last years stand was thicker then I thought it would be. I'll see how this year goes and check for signs of thinning. I do have one area that I will probably need to plant in something. Right next to the plot I'm standing in for one of the pictures is another area about the same size that had corn in it the year the picture was taken. Then this past year we just threw in some oats. This spring I will have to either plant something else in there, or just let it go back to weeds and grass the way it was before I cleared it for a food plot.

Quote:
For easy filling, I've seen a lot of rigs made up to hang them rather than using the legs.

Then you use a cheap boat winch and some pulleys to raise and lower them as needed
We'd been using the 5 gallon bucket hanging feeders. Problem was the ropes needed to be replaced, UV and or rain, and if you didn't do it soon enough the bucket would fall smashing the motor unit on the bottom. I went to steel cable thinking that would be better, but the cables kept snapping. I was up to cable rated for over 400 pounds, but in time a 5 gallon bucket of corn swinging in the breeze would eventually wear on the cable and it would snap.

Finally I attached a piece of heavy plastic coated aircraft cable between two trees, and hung the feeder from that using chain. I had it set so I could drive under it with the pickup and fill it while standing in the back. That feeder is still hanging there, but we didn't use it this past year.

The one advantage I like about these feeders is they will hold over 200 pounds of corn while the hanging ones hold a 5 gallon bucket. I'm hoping we only need to fill every couple months, even if we have it go off 3 or 4 times a day. The smaller one had to be filled every few weeks and I only had it going off once a day.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM

Nice deer pics! That would be considered a "herd" nowadays around here!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Here is what I'd like to do at my feeder, but it's a little costly.

http://thecrush.tv/deer-cam

These people have a hunting TV show so they can afford to do this. It's a camera on a feeder that gives a live feed 24 hours a day. If you run your mouse over the picture you can see in the lower right corner where it says DVR. Like a TV show you can go back in time and see what had been happening, and then you can click on it to go back to live again.

So far I have found a wireless wifi unit where you have a base in your home, and a camera base set where you want it. The claim is it will work up to 5 miles. The unit costs over $500, and you still have to buy the camera which would be over $200. While I'd love to have a 24 hour live feed on my feeder, I think $700 is a bit much just for that.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 AM

Impressive looking food plot. I can't wait to start building one this year - hope my efforts are as successful as yours!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 AM

You might want to try Soybeans where you had Corn before.

Deer as well as other critters love them, and they usually don't get tall enough to block shots like Corn

The NON-Roundup Ready varieties are really cheap to plant
Old 02-24-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The NON-Roundup Ready varieties are really cheap to plant
I was thinking that might be a good idea. My daughter works for a seed company so I can get some seed there. The year I planted corn the owner just gave me a bag to last years corn for free.

I did read once if planting beans you should try the roundup ready. It said the deer tend to nip off the beans as they're starting to grow and it stops the plant growth. It said the solution was roundup ready beans and let the weeds grow to cover the bean plants while they're starting so they are protected. Later spray the food plot and they should make it since they have gotten big enough.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:39 AM

Neat video... The feeder in post 12 appears like the heavy duty kind I have seen in feral hog traping videos.. In that situation the feeder has to be very heavy duty because of the nature of the animals... A plus to that kind/size feeder it holds enough feed to be hands/scent off for a long time...

When the ground thaws, maybe a screw in the ground anchor would be a good idea to keep a pack of racoons and such from causing problems as they try to crawl all over it...

Good luck
Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Well the turkey found one feeder, and the deer and raccoon found the other.

When we set up the feeders I had drilled some holes in the ends of the legs so they could be anchored to the ground. A couple days ago I bought some 12" long spikes and pounded them through the holes and into the ground at an angle. Hopefully if two deer get a little playful under the feeder and one runs into a leg it won't do any damage.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Well the turkey found one feeder, and the deer and raccoon found the other.

When we set up the feeders I had drilled some holes in the ends of the legs so they could be anchored to the ground. A couple days ago I bought some 12" long spikes and pounded them through the holes and into the ground at an angle. Hopefully if two deer get a little playful under the feeder and one runs into a leg it won't do any damage.
Nice to see the feeder at work! The trail cam does pretty good with the pics - I am guessing it is motion activated?

It just looks so weird to me with no snow on the ground.......
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Give a few days on the snow. We have at least a 50% chance Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue. Doesn't sound like much here at the start, but they aren't giving amounts yet for the Mon Tue snows.

I have to go back down tomorrow to change the battery on the feeder the turkey were at. The batteries are rechargeable, which I just bought at Wal Mart. I gave each a charge before putting them out, but this one isn't working anymore. I bought a couple extra the other day, I have one of those on charge now so I can put it in place tomorrow.

Might even have a video tomorrow. A while back I bought a cheap gopro type camera.It is HD quality, just not a gopro. I got it out the other day to mess with it again, and I may take it tomorrow to play with it some. Make a video of changing the battery and testing the feeder.

Remember with your Roku account you get your own TV channel. Give me time, and with enough hunting and fishing related videos I'll be a TV mogul like Ted Turner.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I did read once if planting beans you should try the roundup ready. It said the deer tend to nip off the beans as they're starting to grow and it stops the plant growth
The trick is to plant a big enough plot so most of the beans will survive the first few weeks.

The last time I planted beans, the RR were close to $60/50 lbs, and the NON RR were only $15/50 lb

If you can find a good deal on Sunflowers they work well too for lots of game

Like the beans, you have to plant a lot to get them big enough to flower