BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Well they aren't deer, but they are in season.

Now I can't set up near the feeder, but I can set up between their roost and the feeder.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 PM

Nice flock!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:13 PM

Are you heating up the oil and pulling the cranberries out yet?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 PM

Looks like I may need to grease the poles if I want to save my corn.

It seems everyone else is willing to share.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:22 AM

Those darn squirrels, at it again.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the updated pics hunter. Nice variety in the second pic. Haven't seen any Turkey around here yet.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 AM

Moved my cameras away from the feeders and set them up on the road that comes in to my hunting area. Figured since it was mushroom season and I'd already found one guy that claimed he was lost, I'd keep track of who's going in and out.

Been seeing a few deer, and then there was the turkey hunter slipping through.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Great idea using the cam for security purposes also. Kind of hard to identify someone with the camo face mask however.......

Do you post your land? I never have in the past but seriously thinking about it now - not so much for hunters but fisherman. I haven't had any problems for almost 20 years but starting to the past couple years. It's more the people who think I have a public park where you bring your kids, dogs, and 4-wheelers to go swimming in the creek.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:45 AM

He may be masked, but I know who it is. He's the same guy sitting on the neighbors a couple weeks ago. We got his license number then and got his name.

He walked right by a sign that says no trespassing, but things get a bit hazy here. I have to go through another person's property to get to the ground we hunt. The neighbor's ground probably extends 50 yards past the gate, and after that the ground belongs to the guy that lets me hunt. So there really is no fence in the middle of the woods that divides the two pieces of ground.

Now this guy knows the ground beyond the marked gate belongs to someone else, but he also knows maybe 50 yards of woods is part of the ground he hunts. Of course it is still debatable if he has permission to be on the ground he openly hunts. The landowner said he never gave permission, but it's possible his dad did, and he's not real aggressive about following up with his dad to make sure. Of course it is planting season so farmers are pretty busy and not going to worry too much about one turkey hunter.

As far as posting the land. In Nebraska all land is to be treated as posted even if there are no signs. Crossing onto someone's ground without permission is trespassing.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM

I'll have to look up the laws for here in PA.

I've always thought the No Trespassing signs to be kind of useless - if someone wants to be on your land the signs are easily ignored.

A tough part for me is along the creek. People with camps from across the creek will drive their 4-wheelers through the creek (big no-no in PA) and setup for the day on my side for swimming, fishing, etc. Kids screaming - dogs barking etc. I don't know why they just don't stay on their side. I had one guy with his kids a couple times last year. The second time (I can hear them from my house) I took my camera along and took a pic of his 4 wheeler with a good shot of the license plate - told him I don't want 4-wheelers on my property plus it is just wrong to be driving them through the creek. He finally gave up after that since I had the pics which would easily identify him. He doesn't know that I did get pics of him actually in the creek with his 4-wheeler either - if I were to report him for that he would have no chance.

There are some old guys who are down there fishing every morning which I don't mind at all - heck they've been fishing there long before I bought the place 20 years ago. But it seems to be this new younger generation that thinks they can just go where they want and do whatever they want. The way I look at it I struggled for 20 years to pay the mortgage and taxes, I bought the place because of the fact it is along this beautiful creek but also for my privacy. These younger people just don't seem to care about anything like that. So I have to go for a walk a few times every summer with my pistol strapped to my side, camera around my neck, and my 200# Mastiff (un-leashed) to make my statement.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:41 AM

Always love seeing the cam pics.

Going Up Nord to work this week, set up a cam looking at a salt block I set up in the "Killing Zone"

I also have one kind of concealed facing our trailer. So far, the only thing that I've seen on that one is bunnies and a bear. Hope it stays that way.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:02 AM

Checked my trail cam this week and have encouraging results. Looks like 2 does and a buck (no horns, but built and holds himself like one) visit the block almost daily.

On a side note, the main deer trail that the block is on is a small drainage running down to the river. The whole trail is lined with cowslips that are flowering very nicely about now. I call it the yellow brick road.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Checked my trail cam this week and have encouraging results. Looks like 2 does and a buck (no horns, but built and holds himself like one) visit the block almost daily.
===
Sounds like your well on your way to feeding up the legendary northern "30 point buck"...... Good luck with that...

Deer sightings here have been few and far between here.... I and no one I've talked to has seen a fawn this season so far... NOT a good sign..

Take care..
Old 05-15-2015, 05:40 PM

Just saw our resident doe with her last years' twin fawns - they still have their winter coat for some reason. Nice to see they survived the brutal winter OK.

Fawns usually drop around the first week of June around here.

This is the threesome from last summer:

[IMG]Untitled by , on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
===
Sounds like your well on your way to feeding up the legendary northern "30 point buck"...... Good luck with that...

Deer sightings here have been few and far between here.... I and no one I've talked to has seen a fawn this season so far... NOT a good sign..

Take care..
Yahdat turdy pointer ...

I've been seeing a lot of deer this spring, and they look really healthy. No fawns yet either though.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:54 AM

Well turkey season is over so I took the cameras down from the road. Saw one of the mineral licks was getting worked so I put a camera there. Set the other one on a road I built.

The deer move from a neighbors to the ground we hunt. I could see where the deer use one of our roads and have a stand there ready for this year. I took the tractor last spring and cleared a path, a couple hundred yards long from where the deer cross the neighbors fence to the old road the deer used. Now they would have a direct path from the fence crossing to the road I wanted them to use. Just trying to make life easier for them.

I'd cleared it of brush in the spring, and a few weeks ago I went down with my 4 wheeler and sprayer to kill the weeds. Then last week I went down with the tractor and mower. I'd seen some tracks in the mud, so decided to put a camera there to see how many are using it.

Did get the first decent buck of the year at the mineral lick we made.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Well the boys are growing antlers again, and the little ones are starting to show up.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:41 PM

Nice captures! We are right at our fawn season but haven't seen any yet. Our apple trees are popular with the does to bring their fawns once they are weaned.

That buck seems like a heck of a rack on such a small body - maybe just the perception of the camera....
Old 06-04-2015, 08:54 PM

Could be the angle of the camera, or maybe he's been hitting the mineral lick heavy all spring. There is a small chunk of salt block left, but there was a big pile of mineral. A recipe I got from a guy that was with the University of Missouri. Suppose to help antler growth and help lactating does produce more milk. We have three licks out and they all seem to be active.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 AM

Nice pics. Last pics that I have just started to show antlers growing, a lot less the what was in your pic. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can capture the development of the horns from budding to losing the felt.