BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 PM

Default Reloading Powder

Folks, I don't know if you have been having trouble acquiring powder for hand gun reloading (9mm mostly), but my DH has been having a heck of a time. He has visited/called many gun shops in Central Ohio area and noone has any to sell.

Got on line, also, and found a reloading supply place where he put in an order. Found out everything he ordered was on back order.

Any thoughts, suggestions. Just trying to be ready, in case!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM

I read very recently in a gunloads forum that Trail Boss and Unique were now available in some MidwayUSA stores. I no longer reload for my hand guns; just a couple of rifle calibers for whick I've got a good supply of powders so I can't personally attest to this possible source but It might be one for you even on line if a Midway store is too far away. It has seemed to me that powders suitable for my use are more available now than in the recent past. Anyhow, just keep on checking sources and good luck with it

oeb
Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Any thoughts, suggestions.
Get as many reloading manuals as you can, so you will have data for lots of different powders so as to take advantage of whatever you find
Old 02-22-2015, 10:09 PM

Default Powders many wil work

Don't limit yourself to your favorite powder. You can use any shotgun powder in handgun cartridges and most rifles to! I see guys holding out for one powder and they could be shooting . Remember to check the load data .
Old 02-22-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Get as many reloading manuals as you can, so you will have data for lots of different powders so as to take advantage of whatever you find
x2.

I haven't had a problem finding powder in general for quite awhile - but have had my favorite types disappear.

Quite a few years ago, my go-to rifle powder was Hodgon Varget. I liked it as it is a pretty flexible powder for different loads and from what I read - it is rated extremely good for accuracy over a range of different temps.

It was one of the first powders to become scarce, so I started working with my another - IMR 4064. Although this powder wasn't my first choice, I switched it into my primary, because it was always on the shelves. Killed three deer with three different calibers - so I'm happy with that decision.

For pistols - I guess I've switched back and forth more often, and have not seen any problem getting powder for the caliber that I mostly reload in (45 ACP).
Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 PM

Last time I was at the gun shop nearby that sells powder, I noticed they had a full compliment of choices. I too only reload for a few obscure calibers these days and only use one powder (Reloder 15) and they always seem to have it.

I haven't loaded handgun ammo for some time, but may start loading .357 again. I used to use Unique, and one can would last me a long time.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 PM

As others have stated. Make a list of powders that will work for you and keep it on you. I have found that tuesday and wednesday are the best days to find powder. Stop by a few LGS and ask what day they normally get their powders in. Some will say "oh just any day" but one or two may help you out "tuesday" . Good luck.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I have found that tuesday and wednesday are the best days to find powder.
That's a good point, since most small businesses do tend to get their deliveries set up for their least busy days when possible.

Another thing is while most shops won't make it obvious, they usually CAN order
any powder you want, so if they don't have your favorite in stock, make it a point to ask them to get it.

If it's a type they don't sell a lot of, it may not be on their order list
Old 02-27-2015, 09:57 PM

Exclamation in my area

Anyone here who is near me I'll barter for goods and cash if you are in need of a few supplies. No need being short if u need to hunt.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Default Powder for Reloading Handguns

Thank you all for quick responses. I will tell my husband all you folks have said. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 PM

The shipping cost is high, but someone can mail you some powder, some shops got trail boss. Its about 26 a pound
Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 AM

Heck, thought I would post about some recent observations:

Pistol powder seemed to dry up a bit between 2-2015 til recent. The big chain stores don't have much if any. I finished up a canister yesterday, so went to one of my two small town shops. He didn't have any 1 lb canisters of pistol powder, but had a huge stock of 8 lb kegs. Two different powders.

He also had a full stock and range of rifle powder. I've been using IMR4064 for the last several years and hoarding my stock of Varget. Varget has been very tough to get for a couple of years. He had two full rows of Varget. It was like I was in heaven for a moment.

Plenty of primers.

Not much of a selection on brass. Same with the chain stores. Brass now seems to be on a lingering slight shortage.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
The shipping cost is high, but someone can mail you some powder, some shops got trail boss. Its about 26 a pound
Specially licensed HAZMAT dealers can ship powder, but not just anyone can do it, and it can only be shipped by ground
Old 02-17-2016, 10:54 PM

Talking

I know this is an old thread but it is still relevant. Powder supply seems to be easing up some. If you haven't heard of them try Natchez Shooters Supply they are actually a little cheaper than Midway. Problem is when you add the hazmat charge to the shipping you are looking a around $50. but you can get up to 50 lbs. for that charge. Also I've just tried out a new powder, for me anyway, it's Hodgon's Longshot. It's a shotgun powder but like so many others can also be used for pistols, in fact their new reloading manual lists loads for almost every pistol caliber. I tried a load I read about in a gun magazine for the 357 Sig and it shot into 1" at 25 yards off the bench as best as I could hold it so I was impressed. I noticed it seemed to be in stock in the gun shops in this area too. Just a thought that might help someone.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 PM

You can't ship to some states.

If you can ,get together with friends and/or sportsman club for group purchase, hazmat fee will be less/pound
Old 02-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Master Pontificator

Haven't purchased much lately......but back when it was real short, I would just put what I wanted on back order....if I could, and wait.

Some places wouldn't do that....so if you find a source that does......plan ahead and put some on order before you need it.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:25 AM

Went to a gun show last week. There was no shortage of dealers selling powder. Most of the popular choices could be had easily. I didn't check prices though because I wasn't shopping for powder. My local gun store has plenty. I may stock up on a can or two soon.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 AM
Master Pontificator

Show over the week end...several dealers had powder $21 to $35 bucks a pound.
Plenty of primers as well.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 PM

Local gun shop is starting to have supplies trickle in but still not some of the real popular stuff like Varget or 2400. Prices are still up some too.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa View Post
Local gun shop is starting to have supplies trickle in but still not some of the real popular stuff like Varget or 2400. Prices are still up some too.
Local place had some Varget the last couple of times I've stopped in.

For better or worse, most of my loads are with IMR 4064 now - as that has been a lot easier to get the last few years.

Prices are high, but not outrageous.