BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:15 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Once again american uses base 10 math system ..get it ?

Last edited by MissouriFree; 02-26-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
I'm shocked that the only people to respond so far ON THIS BOARD have no knowledge about Common Core. Oh well, I guess the uninformed and misinformed are everywhere.
You know what they say about ASSumptions.

Not letting your kids take the test will not affect anyone but them, since they have to pass the test to advance.

If you don't like Common Core, the thing to do would be get your kids out of public school instead of making some meaningless gesture that will accomplish nothing at all

Quote:
Without facts on your side, your argument becomes nothing more than pointless attacks.
Says the pot to the kettle

You never answered my question

Who will it hurt, other than your child?
Be specific

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 02-26-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

Not letting your kids take the test will not affect anyone but them, since they have to pass the test to advance.

Who will it hurt, other than your child?
I have specifically answered your questions.

My child does NOT have to take the test to advance. Not taking test doesn't hurt them at all. Taking the test and wasting time in the classroom hurts my child greatly. It is a huge waste of time and doesn't even test what it says they are testing. The only thing the test tests is how well my child takes tests. Again and again, studies have shown (now that Common Core implementation is a few years old) that there is NO IMPROVEMENT on the tests no matter how much the children increase in their subject area knowledge.

Refusing to take the test only sends a message to school boards and state departments of education that parents disagree with Common Core implementation. It is one of the many ways people are using to send the message.

Refusing the test also doesn't allow the school to collect sensitive socioeconomic and character data on the child which is all information that is supposed to be protected by FERPA.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Once again american uses base 10 math system ..get it ?
They take almost a minute to solve a problem the average kid should solve in a few seconds. That is the problem....get it.

Plus this is not just about the base 10 math system. Look over some of these questions and tell me if you'd be able to help a kid with their homework.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/22/ep...re-worksheets/

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ms-alec-torres
Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM

I encourage everyone to try to take a PARCC or Common Core practice test.

On many state department of education, school district or even the PARCC websites, you can find practice tests. You can take a practice test but much of the time the system doesn't give you an answer key. Parents complained. When they provided the answer key we quickly understood why it was hidden before.

Most of us remember old multiple choice, bubble-tests. Back when we took these tests, two of the multiple choice answers were "throw-aways". That left the student a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer if they understood the question being asked.

In the new tests, three of the four or four of the five multiple choice answers could be correct! And yes, the students are encouraged on some of the questions to mark all the correct answers. How do you score such a test? If they get 2 of the 3 answers correct? If they mark 2 correct answers but one wrong one?

The English Language Arts (ELA) portion of the PARCC test is just as bad. Often there are long, confusing, poorly written sections to read with questions that require written answers. Long sections are fine on a paper test because the student can easily flip pages back and forth, however, Common Core implementation requires that schools offer these tests on computer so referring to the written material isn't as easy. In some of the tests, the students are expected to cut and paste sections into their answer.

Also, the computerized tests are being designed to adapt to the student's answering pattern. So if a student isn't answering questions correctly, the test continues to give easier questions. If the student does well, the answers get harder and harder. Talk about comparing apples and oranges! How is that a standardized test?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
They take almost a minute to solve a problem the average kid should solve in a few seconds. That is the problem....get it.

Plus this is not just about the base 10 math system. Look over some of these questions and tell me if you'd be able to help a kid with their homework.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/22/ep...re-worksheets/

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ms-alec-torres
Duh???? How do you know this method of teaching doesnt work? Just because it is different than how you and I learned it or because a news source tells you ??.

Well we sure are doing very well in our current education system are we. ?

I have never see so many people know so much about something they totally don't understand and then base their judgements based on some body else's opinion.
At least CatherinID has a reason - it doesn't challenge her gifted daughter.

I really suspect that most are against this soley because the administration is for it instead of actually thinking about what is best for American education. Our STEM education is failing miserably and yet we wont even entertain change that has been developed of education professionals that I wager are far far smarter on the subject that any of the " anti" crowd.

These were not developed by fed dept ed. But rather teachers and educators around the country. So now we have posters and reporters that know better.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 02-26-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I have never see so many people know so much about something they totally don't understand and then base their judgements based on some body else's opinion.
And once again I see you've jumped to the conclusion we don't understand what we're talking about. Do you think you are the only one that does a little research before posting. Or maybe you feel you're the only one that does proper research while everyone else is just looking for what they want to read.

Quote:
I really suspect that most are against this soley because the administration is for it instead of actually thinking about what is best for American education.
You suspect? Which means as usual you have no idea, but have formed an opinion on what you suspect.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:52 PM

T
Quote:
And once again I see you've jumped to the conclusion we don't understand what we're talking about. Do you think you are the only one that does a little research before posting. Or maybe you feel you're the only one that does proper research while everyone else is just looking for what they want to read.
Not at all. It is clear you researched thourghly and successfully found what you wanted to find.

Quote:
You suspect? Which means as usual you have no idea, but have formed an opinion on what you suspect.
Absolutely true. Otherwise I would not have used the word "suspect". Duh! Most people can read and font need you to explain word "suspect"

Added .
I see you have reverted to character by only posting about me and not the thread subject.

Bye again !

Last edited by MissouriFree; 02-26-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Not at all. It is clear you researched thourghly and successfully found what you wanted to find.
In your opinion.

Quote:
Added .
I see you have reverted to character by only posting about me and not the thread subject.
I did so in reference to you telling us we had an agenda and were wrong, which of course means you made it about us rather then the thread subject first.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Refusing to take the test only sends a message to school boards and state departments of education that parents disagree with Common Core implementation. It is one of the many ways people are using to send the message.
No, it doesn't

If you want to "send a message" take your child out of public school.

Otherwise you're really doing nothing but complaining to everyone else

Quote:
Refusing the test also doesn't allow the school to collect sensitive socioeconomic and character data on the child which is all information that is supposed to be protected by FERPA.
I suspect you're just parroting again now.

Put your kid in private school if you want to really do something that's not a futile gesture
Old 02-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post

These were not developed by fed dept ed. But rather teachers and educators around the country.
Common Core Facts
Compiled by Sandra Stotsky

1. Who developed Common Core’s standards?

Three private organizations in Washington DC: the National Governors Association (NGA), the Council for Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), and Achieve, Inc.—all funded for this purpose by a fourth private organization, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

2. Who selected the members of the Standards Development Work Groups?

In the absence of official information, it seems that Achieve, Inc. and the Gates Foundation selected most of the key personnel to write the high school-level college-readiness standards.

3. Who was represented on the Standards Development Work Groups that wrote the college-readiness standards?

Chiefly test and curriculum developers from ACT, CB, Achieve, and NCEE.

4. Who was not represented on the Standards Development Work Groups?

High school English and mathematics teachers, English professors, scientists, engineers, parents, state legislators, early childhood educators, and state or local school board members.

5. Are records of their meetings available?

No. These groups had no open meetings and have never provided access to any public comment or critiques they received.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 AM

Saw this and thought I'd add it.

Seems to me both sides might be over reacting a bit. At least I have a hard time believing an 8th grader cares so much about everyone else she'd be willing to print up a bunch of fliers and hand them out on her own. At her parents urging maybe, but not on her own. And if they didn't like the test, I could see her parents doing the urging so their daughter wasn't the only one not taking the test.

And it seems to me the school is over reacting. They almost act like they have something to hide or something they prefer wasn't widely known. Having the form on a web site where most may not find it is different then someone handing out the forms and making it easier. But if not taking the test is no big deal, then why make a big thing out of it.

There is a form on the school web site people could use. This girl hands out the form and gets suspended from school 1 day for doing it. Does that make any sense.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...ools-reaction/
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Saw this and thought I'd add it.

Seems to me both sides might be over reacting a bit. At least I have a hard time believing an 8th grader cares so much about everyone else she'd be willing to print up a bunch of fliers and hand them out on her own. At her parents urging maybe, but not on her own. And if they didn't like the test, I could see her parents doing the urging so their daughter wasn't the only one not taking the test.

And it seems to me the school is over reacting. They almost act like they have something to hide or something they prefer wasn't widely known. Having the form on a web site where most may not find it is different then someone handing out the forms and making it easier. But if not taking the test is no big deal, then why make a big thing out of it.

There is a form on the school web site people could use. This girl hands out the form and gets suspended from school 1 day for doing it. Does that make any sense.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...ools-reaction/

I don't know anything about Common Core but I can totally see an 8th grader caring enough to print and hand out fliers, without her parents instigating it. There are young people who care deeply about important issues and are not afraid to act on that feeling.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know anything about Common Core but I can totally see an 8th grader caring enough to print and hand out fliers, without her parents instigating it. There are young people who care deeply about important issues and are not afraid to act on that feeling.
Possible. Then again after Googling her statement, standardized test is “setting us up for failure,” it appears others don't like standardized tests, and its not the parents.

http://nepc.colorado.edu/blog/why-pr...rdized-testing

Quote:
Since the creation of No Child Left Behind, the imposed metrics driving education policy have been student scores on standardized tests. Schools not making Acceptable Yearly Progress on raising test score results for specific populations of students have been subjected to all kinds of punitive actions, which include being shut down or turned over to a private management firm.

The Obama administration has intensified the situation. Its grant programs –including Race to the Top – and NCLB Waivers all require schools to base teacher and principal evaluations, as well as school rating systems, on student test scores, to a great deal of extent.

The intent of these policies was to impose “measured progress.” But lots of educators, parents, and public school activists don’t see it that way.

Recently, teachers at a Seattle high school refused to give the district-required MAP tests to students, saying the tests are bad and waste time and resources. Amazingly, people rushed to the schoolteachers’ support.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Default Facts not myth

For those following this conversation
Here are facts not myths copied from blogs:

We're teachers involved? Yes of course

Quote:
Teachers played a critical role in development
The Common Core State Standards drafting process relied on teachers and standards experts from across the country. Teachers were involved in the development process in four ways:

They served on the Work Groups and Feedback Groups for the ELA and math standards.
The National Education Association (NEA), American Federation of Teachers (AFT), National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), and National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), among other organizations were instrumental in bringing together teachers to provide specific, constructive feedback on the standards
Teachers were members of teams states convened to provide regular feedback on drafts of the standards.
Teachers provided input on the Common Core State Standards during the two public comment periods.
http://www.corestandards.org/about-t...pment-process/

Were members selected in secret ?

No there were nominated by your states governors. By the way to call the NGA - National Governors Association - a private organization Is absurd.
http://www.nga.org/cms/home/news-roo...nitiative.html

The panel members - no teachers or educators - more fabrication.

http://www.nga.org/files/live/sites/...OREK12TEAM.PDF

It is a shame that so many governors have caved in to pure political pArticisim rather than the education of america' s youth.

Were the standards developed in secret ?

No , in fact the process started in 2007 and the product was out for public comment at least twice for months. Thousands of comments were recieved

Last edited by MissouriFree; 02-27-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
For those following this conversation
Here are facts not myths copied from blogs:
By no means am I criticizing, but I just thought it was humorous after complaining about stuff copied from blogs, your first link is to common core itself. I don't suppose they would be a little biased.

Again, no criticism, just struck me as funny.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
By no means am I criticizing, but I just thought it was humorous after complaining about stuff copied from blogs, your first link is to common core itself. I don't suppose they would be a little biased.

Again, no criticism, just struck me as funny.

So did they lie ?? There were allegations about no teachers involved , secrecy. The post merely provided names and credentials, time lines , and details on process. Do you think they were not factual ?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:49 PM

As I said I wasn't criticizing, because I didn't look into the accuracy of the link or care if it was accurate or not.

My comment was based entirely on you claiming blogs other posted are biased, and then you post a link to common core itself, as if to say here is the truth can't be any bias here.

I just thought that was funny. Sorry if I shouldn't have attempted to point out what I saw as humor.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:09 PM

H
Quote:
As I said I wasn't criticizing, because I didn't look into the accuracy of the link or care if it was accurate or not.

My comment was based entirely on you claiming blogs other posted are biased, and then you post a link to common core itself, as if to say here is the truth can't be any bias here.

I just thought that was funny. Sorry if I shouldn't have attempted to point out what I saw as humor.
Well if you want to see no difference between blog sites which are really just opinions And agency sites go ahead. Out of curiosity were would you have went to learn details on development ?

I was interested in finding out status of the implementation around the states and the only place that had all was huffpo so I cant speak for the accuracy.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5751864

A couple things stood out.
1. While not a 100% it seemed much of the support or no support ran along party lineS.
2. The biggest comment by teachers was that they would be evaluated on it not how good or bad it was for the kids.
3. It is clearly a state decision to implement or not.
4. The GOP presidential contenders are running like mad from it despite supporting it earlier.'

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-01-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Well if you want to see no difference between blog sites which are really just opinions And agency sites go ahead.
I'd say common core is more an entity then an agency.

The DNC and GOP would also be entities. Are you saying we should believe everything they say.

Again I'm not criticizing your choice of links or their content. I'm just commenting on the humorous irony of your choice.