BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

If you want to "send a message" take your child out of public school.

Otherwise you're really doing nothing but complaining to everyone else

Put your kid in private school if you want to really do something that's not a futile gesture
No! I will not meekly give up and go away. This is MY school and MY school district. This is the place that was built with MY tax dollars. Of course I care about what is happening in MY schools. This is where my child and my child's friends and our neighbors go to school. This is where my neighbors work. This is where I have volunteered countless hours and directly contributed thousands of my own dollars. This is the future of our town if we ever hope to raise our families out of poverty and bring businesses to the area. Imagine what our lives would be like if our founding fathers, in the face of dictatorial king, said, "We give up. We'll go elsewhere." This is the community hard won by me and many others and we won't just quietly turn it over to a federal government that wants to treat my child as a number instead of an individual.

And NO! My child will NOT be taking the end of the year assessment test. The current school system doesn't get to take credit for all the hard work my child and I have put into getting her the education she deserves. They weren't there when I and my child drove hundreds of miles to get her to enrichment opportunities after school, on weekends and during breaks so she could finally learn what she should have been learning in school. They weren't there when we stayed up late after school, on school nights and on weekends learning through on-line classes because her thirst for knowledge wasn't satisfied during the school day. They aren't going to get rewarded for refusing to offer her challenging material and instead insisting that she stay in boring classes because "she tests well". They're not going to look good as a school, a school district or a state on the back of my daughter's giftedness that they refuse to support.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineID View Post
No! I will not meekly give up and go away. This is MY school and MY school district. This is the place that was built with MY tax dollars. Of course I care about what is happening in MY schools. This is where my child and my child's friends and our neighbors go to school. This is where my neighbors work. This is where I have volunteered countless hours and directly contributed thousands of my own dollars. This is the future of our town if we ever hope to raise our families out of poverty and bring businesses to the area. Imagine what our lives would be like if our founding fathers, in the face of dictatorial king, said, "We give up. We'll go elsewhere." This is the community hard won by me and many others and we won't just quietly turn it over to a federal government that wants to treat my child as a number instead of an individual.

And NO! My child will NOT be taking the end of the year assessment test. The current school system doesn't get to take credit for all the hard work my child and I have put into getting her the education she deserves. They weren't there when I and my child drove hundreds of miles to get her to enrichment opportunities after school, on weekends and during breaks so she could finally learn what she should have been learning in school. They weren't there when we stayed up late after school, on school nights and on weekends learning through on-line classes because her thirst for knowledge wasn't satisfied during the school day. They aren't going to get rewarded for refusing to offer her challenging material and instead insisting that she stay in boring classes because "she tests well". They're not going to look good as a school, a school district or a state on the back of my daughter's giftedness that they refuse to support.

So for you this is really about your school district' lack of a gifted program to challenge your daughter not common core. They can still have a gifted program - common core does not prohibit that . I wish you good luck in convincing your school of the need for such a program.

We had the same thing with one of ours years ago and went the private school route. Best decision we ever made putting our child' s education first. It really cost us a lot but was worth it. That was our responsibility not the districts .
T
Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 AM

So in the end you will leave your daughter where you say she's not getting an education, and will rant and rave on the internet while accomplishing not much of anything

Good luck with that

Quote:
Imagine what our lives would be like if our founding fathers, in the face of dictatorial king, said, "We give up. We'll go elsewhere."
That's how they came to this country in the first place

"Founding Fathers" rhetoric accomplishes as much as refusing to take a test
Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 AM

after reading this thread i have to say ,i admire you catherine for taking a stand,iam not really surprised on how much support you got here ,but disapointed by the lack of it.in numbers we as a country can make changes but we dont work together enstead just run their ideas into the ground.i would just keep going in the direction of what you belive in and forget asking for opionc here , good luck to you
Old 03-01-2015, 11:31 AM

Like I said earlier, I don't know much about the Common Core but a friend posted this link on FB. Is this true?

http://toprightnews.com/?p=7026

And Catherine, I admire you too. I am surprised that you didn't get more supportive posts here.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM

Is this the test we are talking about?

http://thegazette.com/subject/opinio...-what-20150301

If so it seems to me as taxpayers we should pay attention, not for what the test does or doesn't do, but what it costs. Is the extra cost to taxpayers worth it.

Quote:
Setting aside ongoing controversies surrounding Common Core standards, the most publicized concern regarding the move to Smarter Balanced is the increased price tag of the suite.

According to estimates provided to the task force, the New Generation Iowa Assessments, which would include math, reading and science, would cost about $15 per student. The Smarter Balanced Assessments, which only include math and reading, are estimated at $22.50 per student.

And, as Wisconsin state officials can attest, there is reason to doubt the cost estimate. Although Wisconsin schools budgeted for a cost of about $26 per student, the actual price tag was more than $33 per student — about $7.2 million more than what had been appropriated.

Wisconsin administrators also learned that the ability of the test to adapt to student response is a feature not expected to be functioning when they first test their students this spring.

While Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s decision to strip funding for Smarter Balanced Assessments from the state budget is likely linked to ongoing national concerns for Common Core alignment, the cost gaffes and ongoing technical issues have bolstered his position.

School districts will need to have an adequate number of computers or tablets available to test students within the mandated 12-week window, and also will need reliable broadband access. A statewide assessment of the technological requirements for school districts has not been completed, but it is estimated that about 20 percent of Iowa districts will require additional resources.

The tests also will take more time away from instruction. While Iowa Assessments take between 2.5 and 4.5 hours to complete, Smarter Balanced Assessments are estimated at between 7.5 and 9.5 hours.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
So for you this is really about your school district' lack of a gifted program to challenge your daughter not common core.
T
My DD is in the gifted program. How silly of you to assume one didn't exist. I am most definitely objecting to Common Core implementation.

Quote:
"Founding Fathers" rhetoric accomplishes as much as refusing to take a test
Our founding fathers came her under contract with the country where they were citizens to expand that country's influence into a new land. Up until the American Revolution, they considered themselves full-fledged citizens of their country of origin. It wasn't until their king started to treat them as less-than-full-citizens that they revolted. This Common Core issue may make many revolt and go off the start their own schools, home school, etc. In the meantime I WILL fight for a good education for my child and other peoples' children because it is the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
Like I said earlier, I don't know much about the Common Core but a friend posted this link on FB. Is this true?

http://toprightnews.com/?p=7026
I have no idea if that is true or not. One of the criticisms of CC is that it widens the achievement gap between white and non-white students. If fixing that gap was the aim of one of the proponents, then they failed miserably.

Many speak of Common Core being yet another step in a long-term Progressive agenda that is being implemented on many fronts, education is just one of them. For my part, I find it disturbing the Bill & Melinda Gates give so much money in so many different areas to this cause. Bill Gates was filmed saying that he is pushing Common Core because it will result in many "homogeneous, good workers" for major corporations. Many think he is pushing Common Core because part of the assessment process requires schools to spend millions of dollars on computers and software.

My main objections are:
~ Common Core along with No Child Left Behind and ESEA represents an ever growing federal take over of public education. Eventually I'd like to see the federal Department of Education be dissolved.

~ Common Core standards are untested and not bench-marked (the entities that own the copyright to the standards admit this now).

~ States are coerced into adopting the standards through federal grant money and this occurred even before the standards were finalized so they didn't know what they were getting. Even worse, many of those states didn't even get the federal money to implement but are being forced to implement anyway.

~ Many states that adopted the standards did so without a vote by their legislative bodies. In most cases it was just their own Dept of Ed that decided to make the change. One or two people in each state was all it took to affect the lives of thousands of children.

~ The standards are developmentally inappropriate. In early grades they are far too conceptual for young minds. In higher grades they aren't challenging enough.

~ There are so many lies and secrets about Common Core and the development process that keep getting revealed. Teachers are being threatened with losing their jobs if they speak out again CC. Parents have been arrested in school board public hearings for speaking out against CC. What are the proponents of Common Core so afraid of? Why are the standards owned by private companies? Why the closed door meetings? Why the refusal to answer basic questions? Why are parents being told they can't see certain textbooks or test questions?

~ Despite what CC proponents claim, states don't own the Common Core standards or implementation. When states adopt CC, they are agreeing that they won't change any part of the program except to add 15% new, better standards which will never appear on the assessment tests. States are not free to modify any part of Common Core.

~ Common Core required assessments significantly increases the amount of time in the classroom dedicated to testing and preparing for the tests. The assessment test, which never result in a grade not are the results used to determine class advancement, is a high-stress, high-stakes environment which is unnecessary when metrics could be used to determine teacher efficiency or literacy.

~ The data collection during the assessment tests is designed to by-pass FERPA laws. This results in children being asked questions about their family life and their own character on tests which is data that is kept and tracked during the child's school career.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
This Common Core issue may make many revolt and go off the start their own schools, home school, etc.
That would be taking some positive action
Not taking the test does nothing at all
Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
That would be taking some positive action
Not taking the test does nothing at all
Wow, now we're just circling around and around. See earlier posts. Not taking the test avoids the data collection efforts and sends a message to the state that there are still those who object to the Common Core implementation.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
. Not taking the test avoids the data collection efforts and sends a message to the state that there are still those who object to the Common Core implementation.
I heard a report about this issue on the news this morning.
It said in one district, out of 5200 students, 97 were refusing to take the test

The message that sends is a small minority won't make any difference, and they will find other ways to "gather data" if they really want it.

The end result will be those 97 students will still be in the same schools with the same curriculum as everyone else

If you want results, take them out of public school
That's a real message
Old 03-02-2015, 10:53 PM

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/hu...on-core-tests/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/ny...-out.html?_r=0

Buried in the same article you read somewhere, "In New York last year, the state’s second year of Common Core-aligned testing, 49,000 students did not take the English test, according to the State Department of Education, while 67,000 skipped the math portion"
Old 03-03-2015, 01:52 AM

What are the consequences to the child or parent if they don't take the test?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 AM

Seems it's spreading and gaining ground.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...or-prime-time/

Quote:
Pennsylvania saw 1,064 students statewide opt out of required math tests last year, a tiny percentage of the 803,000 exams given but a nearly fivefold increase from the number who opted out in 2011, according to that state’s Education Department.
While the number that opted out is small, a five fold increase shows a growing movement. Change takes time.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Buried in the same article you read somewhere, "In New York last year, the state’s second year of Common Core-aligned testing, 49,000 students did not take the English test, according to the State Department of Education, while 67,000 skipped the math portion"
That's 116,000 in a system which has over 2 million students, and no plans to do away with Common Core

The "message" didn't get results
Old 03-03-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Wow, now we're just circling around and around. See earlier posts. Not taking the test avoids the data collection efforts and sends a message to the state that there are still those who object to the Common Core implementation.
Catherine, have you convinced others in your community to take the same step you have? One kid not taking the test is no big deal. 30-40 not taking the test might get some attention.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
My DD is in the gifted program. How silly of you to assume one didn't exist. I am most definitely objecting to Common Core implementation.

Our founding fathers came her under contract with the country where they were citizens to expand that country's influence into a new land. Up until the American Revolution, they considered themselves full-fledged citizens of their country of origin. It wasn't until their king started to treat them as less-than-full-citizens that they revolted. This Common Core issue may make many revolt and go off the start their own schools, home school, etc. In the meantime I WILL fight for a good education for my child and other peoples' children because it is the right thing to do.

I have no idea if that is true or not. One of the criticisms of CC is that it widens the achievement gap between white and non-white students. If fixing that gap was the aim of one of the proponents, then they failed miserably.

Many speak of Common Core being yet another step in a long-term Progressive agenda that is being implemented on many fronts, education is just one of them. For my part, I find it disturbing the Bill & Melinda Gates give so much money in so many different areas to this cause. Bill Gates was filmed saying that he is pushing Common Core because it will result in many "homogeneous, good workers" for major corporations. Many think he is pushing Common Core because part of the assessment process requires schools to spend millions of dollars on computers and software.

My main objections are:
~ Common Core along with No Child Left Behind and ESEA represents an ever growing federal take over of public education. Eventually I'd like to see the federal Department of Education be dissolved.

~ Common Core standards are untested and not bench-marked (the entities that own the copyright to the standards admit this now).

~ States are coerced into adopting the standards through federal grant money and this occurred even before the standards were finalized so they didn't know what they were getting. Even worse, many of those states didn't even get the federal money to implement but are being forced to implement anyway.

~ Many states that adopted the standards did so without a vote by their legislative bodies. In most cases it was just their own Dept of Ed that decided to make the change. One or two people in each state was all it took to affect the lives of thousands of children.

~ The standards are developmentally inappropriate. In early grades they are far too conceptual for young minds. In higher grades they aren't challenging enough.

~ There are so many lies and secrets about Common Core and the development process that keep getting revealed. Teachers are being threatened with losing their jobs if they speak out again CC. Parents have been arrested in school board public hearings for speaking out against CC. What are the proponents of Common Core so afraid of? Why are the standards owned by private companies? Why the closed door meetings? Why the refusal to answer basic questions? Why are parents being told they can't see certain textbooks or test questions?

~ Despite what CC proponents claim, states don't own the Common Core standards or implementation. When states adopt CC, they are agreeing that they won't change any part of the program except to add 15% new, better standards which will never appear on the assessment tests. States are not free to modify any part of Common Core.

~ Common Core required assessments significantly increases the amount of time in the classroom dedicated to testing and preparing for the tests. The assessment test, which never result in a grade not are the results used to determine class advancement, is a high-stress, high-stakes environment which is unnecessary when metrics could be used to determine teacher efficiency or literacy.

~ The data collection during the assessment tests is designed to by-pass FERPA laws. This results in children being asked questions about their family life and their own character on tests which is data that is kept and tracked during the child's school career.

So much none sense in here but I will address two.
Do you even know who holds the copyright and why? It is the governors association and it is in the public domain. It was done to percent " private" companies from taking tgd standards and selling them for profit.

The biggest thing I saw above was
Quote:

~ Many states that adopted the standards did so without a vote by their legislative bodies...
So you would rather have politicians making decisions affecting children's education , for political reasons - mostly partisan , rather than experienced education professionals?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Do you even know who holds the copyright and why?

So you would rather have politicians making decisions affecting children's education , for political reasons - mostly partisan , rather than experienced education professionals?
If you bothered to read the entire thread, you'd see that I already posted which private businesses held the copyright to Common Core. Why is easy. They are making money off selling them to text book manufacturers and assessment/test creation companies.

And yes, I very much want my government representatives to vote on how my tax dollars will be spent. That is their job. A couple of people in the state can't - or at least, shouldn't - be allowed to put taxpayers on the hook for millions of dollars in spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
Catherine, have you convinced others in your community to take the same step you have? One kid not taking the test is no big deal. 30-40 not taking the test might get some attention.
Yes. Thousands of children are refusing to take the test across my state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
What are the consequences to the child or parent if they don't take the test?
None. The test doesn't translate into a letter grade and it can't be used for grade advancement when other metrics can be used.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:11 PM

Thanks! I see no point in taking and getting in some database.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:20 PM

I you did not name the " private companies"
You said

Quote:
....of Common Core so afraid of? Why are the standards owned by private companies? Why the closed door meetings? Why the refusal to answer basic questions? Why are parents being told they can't see certain
The copy right is held by the National Governors association and is in the public domain to be used by any school. It was done so to protect states " from private companies" copyrighting the standards and the selling them for profit.

Secrecy ... A lie . The standard and their developement were produced openly and put out for public comment at least twice.

I still can believe you want politicians voting on how to educate kids.

Btw I have no problem doing away with federal dept of education as long as the federal dollars that flow thru it to the states also STOPS and education cost is totally born by local citizens and not states of federal tax dollars . How's that sit with you ?

Schools should all be private. Then when you not happy you can go out and pick and pay for the school you like - out of your own pocket.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-05-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Common Core Facts
Compiled by Sandra Stotsky

1. Who developed Common Core’s standards?

Three private organizations in Washington DC: the National Governors Association (NGA), the Council for Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), and Achieve, Inc.—all funded for this purpose by a fourth private organization, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

2. Who selected the members of the Standards Development Work Groups?

In the absence of official information, it seems that Achieve, Inc. and the Gates Foundation selected most of the key personnel to write the high school-level college-readiness standards.

3. Who was represented on the Standards Development Work Groups that wrote the college-readiness standards?

Chiefly test and curriculum developers from ACT, CB, Achieve, and NCEE.

4. Who was not represented on the Standards Development Work Groups?

High school English and mathematics teachers, English professors, scientists, engineers, parents, state legislators, early childhood educators, and state or local school board members.

5. Are records of their meetings available?

No. These groups had no open meetings and have never provided access to any public comment or critiques they received.
So sorry for the re-post. Some members didn't bother to read the first time.