BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:19 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineID View Post
So sorry for the re-post. Some members didn't bother to read the first time.
Really the national governors association is funded by bill gates. prove it !!! You're fixated on gates for done reason.

Get real.

In addition I posted and showed you the public comnent availability opportunity.

Once again it your reading select internet . Source just to support your erroneous Position. Try ALL sources and sides and you just might learn something intelligent For a change!
I see you wont answer my questionabout Doing away with fed dept of education AND all the money that comes from feds ?

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-06-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 AM

It looks like the "common core" math is about like the "new math" they tried 40 years ago. I didn't work very well then. Just confused the parents who tried to help their children.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:43 PM

Here is an article that discusses the issue.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...lumn/15693531/

Written by a math professor.

And another

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...iction-part-v/

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-06-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:09 PM

To me it sounds like the basic idea is to take away local control of how to teach the children. Having national standards is one thing, but having to teach in a national way is different. I'll always prefer my local school system decides how to teach the children in order to achieve the same national standards as everyone else. Common core takes that away and is nationalizing the way teachers are suppose to teach. I can't see that as a good thing.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...re-111426.html

Quote:
Bill Gates called the Common Core academic standards a “very basic idea” to set national standards for what students should know at various grades.

But at a POLITICO event Monday, he also stepped right up to the edge of advocating a common curriculum as well — something that Common Core supporters have made it clear they do not intend to impose.

“Should Georgia have a different railroad width than anybody else? Should they teach multiplication in a different way? Oh, that’s brilliant. Who came up with that idea?” Gates said.

(PHOTOS: 'Lessons from Leaders' launch event with Bill Gates)

He cited as a model unnamed Asian countries, which he said have pared down their standards so they give kids “nice, thin textbooks” and focus on teaching fewer concepts in more depth. “And what are the results? Well, they spend far, far less money and get far, far better results,” Gates said.

He said he thought of Common Core as “a technocratic issue,” akin to making sure all states use the same type of electrical outlet. “The idea that what you should know at various grades … should be well structured and you should really insist on kids knowing something so you can build on that. I did not expect that to become a big political issue.”

Gates described the state of education before Common Core was introduced as “a cacophony” because every state had different standards. Many of those standards, he said, didn’t align well with exams.
Again, there is nothing wrong with one standard, but there can be more then one way to teach in order to obtain that standard.

Even Salon isn't too sure about Gates's involvement with common core.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/07/bill...ore_obsession/

And then there is the money making angle for Microsoft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ll-gates-said/
Old 03-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Common core does NOT dictate curriculum or how a subject is. Taught- no matter what the many say.

Type in this in Google

Common core does not dictate curriculum and you will get some truth to the issue.

Our schools are failing dispite the dollars thrown at the problem and now some one has defined what kids should know.at each grade - a standard that leaves it up to the school to make it happen and people fight it- I just don't understand .

The biggest problem / failing we have in school is lack of successfull STEM education . It is time to fix that .maybe you all are right- lets just continue n our kerry wY - failing school systems, wasted tax dollars. We don't need no stinking standards- we don't need any people that want to help . Sad state of affairs

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-06-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
We don't need no stinking standards
No one has said that, but blaze away.

At least I assumed you were shooting for a Blazing Saddles reference.

As I said there's nothing wrong with a national standard, though I'm thinking this is the part that bothers the teachers. Now you have a means to compare teachers.

Quote:
Common core does not dictate curriculum and you will get some truth to the issue.
I'd say the following is more an opinion piece then a news piece. But it does show common core does dictate curriculum.

Again, I am not saying the writer is correct in his assumption about common core, I'm just saying he shows common core does tell teachers what they will teach and how they will teach it. I prefer this is done on the local level where as parents we have some control and input.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...b_3131099.html
Old 03-06-2015, 03:57 PM

Like you said it is just an opinion blog and and it is inorrect.
Heaven forbids that teachers ,after years of not accomplishing much might have to try some thing new and be held accountable for succeeding at their job.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Like you said it is just an opinion blog and and it is inorrect.
His opinion of common core may be correct or incorrect, but his statement on teaching methods is accurate.

Common core has a way they want the teachers to teach. The math example from earlier in this thread is an example. Teachers have to teach 9 + 6 the way common core has set up the curriculum, not the way they have been teaching.

Local input has to be better then one national way to do things. As long as in the end everyone can meet the same standards, does it really matter how they got there.

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/...de0a3890a.html
Old 03-06-2015, 10:42 PM

For many years, there have been minimal national standards that have been imposed through school accreditation programs. EVERY school exceeded those standards.

Personally, I prefer to have competition between schools. I WANT to be able to move to another school district or another state in order to get an education for my child that works for her.

Parents of students who don't test well on optional, nationwide tests like the ACT or SAT will demand their school districts do something about poor teaching.

Common Core is just opening parents eyes to what has been happening in schools for a very long time.

I have actually read the standards - the higher level overview ones and the ones that "drill down" for each grade. Not only does Common Core dictate curriculum, they also dictate teaching methods. They drive assessments. They are supposed to be only for math and ELA but have managed to filter into history/social studies and science, too.

I just learned that even if my child refuses to take the test, teachers in our state are required to enter identifying metric data on my child into the computer because Pearson wants to collect the data anyway.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Not only does Common Core dictate curriculum, they also dictate teaching methods..
Prove that !!! I have ask you on several occasion for proof of you " opinion" and you have yet - even once- to back up your opinion .
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 AM

Go back to the video earlier in this thread showing how math is now taught. That is common core's curriculum.

Another example of common core curriculum that came from a link I posted earlier.

Quote:
But the designers of Common Core don't see it that way. They assert that students have been raised on an easy-read curriculum and because of this they are unable to analyze complex reports, studies and government documents. The administration's solution is to have informational texts make up 50 percent of elementary school readings and 70 percent of 12th grade readings by 2014. Unfortunately, the burden of this solution will fall mostly on English teachers, leaving them little time to teach real literature. Instead they will somehow have to figure out ways to get kids interested in such texts as "Fed Views" by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco (2009) or "Executive Order 13423: Strengthening Federal Environmental Energy, and Transportation Management" published by the General Services Administration.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:07 PM

This is a disturbing twist on the lengths these companies are going in terms of data collection on our kids. I encourage all parents with school aged children in Common Core states to refuse the tests.

http://missourieducationwatchdog.com...-being-leaked/
Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 PM

What the heck does that story have to do with personal info?
It was about a kid taking pictures if the test question and posting them !
Nice try though . The other word for that is " cheating".
Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 PM

Is this really more rigorous?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1064657
Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineID View Post

Thank you . More credence than ever for common core since this question was NOT part of a cc test or curriculum .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...01VT_blog.html

Sorry nice try !!!
Old 03-15-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
What the heck does that story have to do with personal info?
Perhaps Edward Snowden would be the one to ask about the monitoring of personal communication.

Quote:
It was about a kid taking pictures if the test question and posting them !
Actually wouldn't it be about a government agency monitoring a kids personal twitter account when he was not in school.

I understand he should not take pictures of a test question, but does what he did excuse the monitoring of his personal twitter account after school hours.

Seems to me Snowden would not be impressed.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 AM

Not true at all . They are not monitoring student email or Twitter. They are monitoring the parcc test and their material just like every is always done In any field.

Scan down the comments to original Facebook blog article to get to a concise explanation that stabs sensibly above the nonsensical hysteria.

Quote:
Brian Wasson
Pearson is NOT "monitoring the social media accounts of students taking the test." They are monitoring their brand name and the test name PARCC. Anyone can search Twitter and social media for that and there are some very good tools to do this (Hootsuite, Radian 6, Sprout Social and hundreds more.). This is common practice in every industry and with every company. In fact, Facebook is "monitoring" your every move right in their own site. Your words, your pictures, videos, friend lists, the groups you join, etc. Every one of these social sites happens to be free...but as you know nothing in life is free. Every use of your mobile phone, an app, a social site leaves a trail in both keywords and data that can be used to identify you. Someone, anyone, posting anything to a public forum such as Twitter (and not in their protected tweet mode) should EXPECT that their tweets are being watched. So, this isn't creepy at all. There is no breech of anyone privacy> The student apparently posted publicly about the test. If he said he hated the Baskin Robbins ice cream he just had there is a good chance that company would reach out to him via a tweet. Using social tools comes with both pros and cons, something that I insist should be taught in schools but isn't. That is part one. Part two is the actions of the NJ DOE. That's actually the more disconcerting part of this story and the one people should be focusing on. Would they look to discipline a student if instead he spoke verbally about the test item? Do they not think every student taking these tests is keeping silent after the test?
Old 03-15-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Pearson is NOT "monitoring the social media accounts of students taking the test." They are monitoring their brand name and the test name PARCC.
So it's "kind of like" the NSA monitoring key words or certain phone numbers.

In this case they only care about stuff being said about them.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
So it's "kind of like" the NSA monitoring key words or certain phone numbers.

In this case they only care about stuff being said about them.
Searching for key words . Yeah the commenter showed various software any one can use to do it. Kinda like people googling common core curriculum is bad.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Googling some else's name could be considered research. Googling yourself to see what's being said about you could be considered insecurity or paranoia.