BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Make Your Own Snow Plow

Check this out (self-explanatory!):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6721272.html
Old 02-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Funny. People are nuts.

This reminds me of the "helmut law" nannycrats who insist MC riders wear helmets: the NIH says there are 5000 MC-related deaths yearly, but they also list "toilet related deaths" at 9000 per year. Shouldn't they insist all toilets be equipped with seat belts?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:42 AM

I'm all for scrapping helmet laws if society can quit insisting on trying to save those whose brains are splattered on the pavement/skull cracked like a walnut. As well as butting out of everyone's bedroom.

If we'd get money out of politics, the insurance companies would have had ZERO say hence very few helmet laws. But then again, might be a baby boomer law. For some reason, whatever they did or didn't do now needs to be regulated for the next generations. Bike helmets, walking to school by yourself....
Old 02-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Master Pontificator

helmet laws, in austrailia the bike was a very popular means of transportation, actually able to outrun a lot of dangerous stuff. then a helmet law went into effect and no one rides them. mostly because no one wanted to look like a nerd. a bike helmet doesn't make a lot of sense, if you fall off a bike your not going fast enough to cause serious injury, i put as much as 600 miles on my bike in a week over the summer, i don't own a car and live in a remote area i bike everywhere and haul stuff in a trailer behind it. i never wear a helmet, my biggest concern after all the time i spent on it is being attacked by another dog (happened a couple times already, police put the dogs down afterwards) or being hit by a reckless driver (had a few close calls from cell phone users driving into the margins and not seeing me). at no time was i concerned about hitting my head on the ground from falling over, in 10,000 miles i have never fallen over on my bike.

when i had an ATV in 2013 i was getting around on roads at 55 mph and had motorcycle plates on it, at that speed i would have had some serious risk if i spilled on a turn so i wore a helmet every time i rode it. simple reason dictated i should wear one, its the speed and momentum that would amplify the force of any impact. on a bike the impact danger is a car hitting me, on an ATV its more likely that i'll take a bad turn and roll over/spill at high speed.

of course there are plenty of people who race around with no safety equipment at all, and half the guys around here learned to drive by drag racing over the river ice. the adrenaline rush is what they are after, nannylaws are trying to impose safety on these types of people, but they generally won't follow them anyway.

so those helmet laws that were mentioned are a mix of people not understanding risk and basic physics and trying to force safety on people bent on adrenaline filled fun, in any case helmet laws really are a waste of effort.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 PM

I'm a firm believer in keeping all of our freedoms and giving up none to societies do gooders.I've ridden pedal bike's as a kid and cycles since young adult and that's 40plus yrs and I'm still here and coherent without ever wearing a so called brain bucket.so no to helmet laws.while I'm at it how about our grand seat belt laws,and I live in a state that has a secondary seat belt law where you cannot be pulled over for not wearing it,we should make our own decisions as adults. How about "let those who ride and drive decide". How about an endorsement on your drivers license that you choose not to wear one or the other or both,could save a lot of money to many folks out there. Just think,law enforcement agencies could set their sights on real crime instead of regular folks who decide to wear or not wear.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepal View Post
I'm a firm believer in keeping all of our freedoms and giving up none to societies do gooders.I've ridden pedal bike's as a kid and cycles since young adult and that's 40plus yrs and I'm still here and coherent without ever wearing a so called brain bucket.so no to helmet laws.while I'm at it how about our grand seat belt laws,and I live in a state that has a secondary seat belt law where you cannot be pulled over for not wearing it,we should make our own decisions as adults. How about "let those who ride and drive decide". How about an endorsement on your drivers license that you choose not to wear one or the other or both,could save a lot of money to many folks out there. Just think,law enforcement agencies could set their sights on real crime instead of regular folks who decide to wear or not wear.
lol i agree to that. don't wanna wear the belt, its your own damn fault what happens, a law making it illegal for doctors to help someone in a crash would actually better than forcing people to wear a belt. a few weeks of horrible mangled bodies in the news and people screaming in pain will get people bucking up on their own choice
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM

I didn't really want to start a discussion about helmets, it's just that I've used that example of MC accidents vs toilet accidents in those arguments, and this video brought the two together. When I first saw it, seeing the guy sitting on a slippery porcelain seat, I thought he's gunna be air borne fast if that snow blade stubs itself on a crack in the sidewalk. At least it'll be a soft landing in the snow.

BTW- when you hit the pavement after a nose dive off a 30 ft platform, you'll only be going 27 mph. You think a helmet will keep you alive in a slow speed crash like that?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I didn't really want to start a discussion about helmets, it's just that I've used that example of MC accidents vs toilet accidents in those arguments, and this video brought the two together. When I first saw it, seeing the guy sitting on a slippery porcelain seat, I thought he's gunna be air borne fast if that snow blade stubs itself on a crack in the sidewalk. At least it'll be a soft landing in the snow.

BTW- when you hit the pavement after a nose dive off a 30 ft platform, you'll only be going 27 mph. You think a helmet will keep you alive in a slow speed crash like that?
Nope, a jump like that will kill