BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Why to Avoid Preppers...

Why to Avoid Preppers... Well kinda/sorta....

Here is an article I found of on thesurvivalmom web site...
It does seem to have some good insights... Even if a little oddly expressed...

The first problem I have with the article is with "normal people"......
Who says "they" are normal, and I'm not ??? I guess I would have worded that a little different.... But I get the distinction made between groups....

I hope there is something useful in this for someone...

Thoughts... ???
===
5 Reasons Why Normal People Shy Away from Preppers.....

I don’t believe I’ve ever started an article with an apology, but before I go any further, my apologies to preppers for this headline! I’ve met hundreds of you over the past few years at expos and other events, and you are all so normal! I hope my apology is accepted! Now on to my story.
Quite some time ago I recorded an episode of my podcast and included 6 lessons kids should learn from the Trayvon Martin case. Lesson #6 was, “Be aware of how others perceive you,” and it included some great quotes from a black minister who works with kids of all races.
As I thought about perception, I remembered a conversation with an Oregon woman who displayed a dramatic negative reaction to the term, “bug out bag.”
“Don’t use that term!” she said. “It makes you sound like a crazy survivalist.”
Well, I’m not crazy and I don’t consider myself to be a survivalist in the traditional sense, but if we hope to draw others into the ranks of preparedness, our loved ones in particular, then maybe we should consider how others perceive us.
Here are a few reasons why I think “normal” people shy away from anything related to the prepper world.
1. Our terminology has negative connotations

Bug out bag” begs the question, “Exactly why do you think you have to bug out? Are you on the lam?”
Bug out location” sounds a lot like a robber’s hideout or the stereotypical 500 square foot log cabin in the wilds of Idaho, home to toothless refugees from “Deliverance”.
Bug out vehicle” — getaway car, anyone?
“C-Day” — Collapse Day, as in the day the United States of America collapses.
See what I mean? And I don’t think it’s a strike against anyone outside the prepper world who hears these terms and thinks, “What the heck??” If you’re not a religious person, this is akin to being around people who talk church-speak all the time. It can be a big turn-off.
2. Ditto for our acronyms

• SHTF: Sh*t hits the fan.
  • TEOTWAWKI: The end of the world as we know it.
  • WROL: Without rule of law.
  • GOOD: Get out of Dodge
In the real world, who talks like this?? If your friends need an acronym dictionary to figure out what you’re talking about, they may decide the prepper world is some sort of secret society with “special” handshakes and creepy initiation ceremonies.
3. They think we’re too negative

When conversations naturally veer toward topics related to preparedness, that’s one thing, but if your stream of emails consist of doomsday alerts from Alex Jones and the like, they will begin to steer clear of you, guaranteed. I get those types of forwarded emails from my aunt, and even I don’t like them!
4. Negative portrayals on TV

Let’s face it. “Doomsday Preppers” didn’t exactly do any favors for the prepping world. Too many of their preppers aren’t relate-able. Many are downright weird. If this is what your circle of friends and acquaintances see as the norm for preppers, do you blame them for not wanting to join the club?
5. Preppers scare them

Nearly every prepper website focuses on topics like pandemics, collapse of civilization, the U.S. becoming just like Somalia, FEMA body bags, guillotines…well, sometimes people just want to think about the fun they’re going to have this weekend at the bowling alley. Who wants to be around people who scare them all the time?
6. They really don’t see the need to prepare

This one you can’t do anything about. Until a person is motivated by their own observations, they will likely not do anything. People believe their own data and will act accordingly, thus the popularity of Home Depot hours before the arrival of a hurricane! One of the very first YouTube videos I ever made was in response to folks who ask, “How can I get my family/loved ones to prepare?”
Now, in no way am I saying preppers are crazy and that we shouldn’t prepare. My point is to consider how others perceive us. If we come across as scary, obsessed, or weird, then it’s no wonder that they shy away from the prepper world when it’s possible that being prepared has been on their minds!
You can’t do anything about Doomsday Preppers or all the fear-filled websites out there, but you can demonstrate by words and actions what a rational, completely sane prepper looks like!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Master Pontificator

most prepper types i know of would not last long in a shtf situation, sure they have a bunker and a year supply of food and enough guns to equip a regiment, but when that foods gone they are out of luck, they stock seed packs in those vaults but that looks like a tiny amount of seed for a tiny garden, and probably won't do well if they don't know how to grow it. they can only use one or 2 guns at a time (one long gun and maybe a handgun as backup) the rest are dust collectors. they look like Rambo but half their fancy gear will probably fail in a week (those straws that filter water).

in a SHTF situation i would rather have an Amish family next door than a prepper, 1 they know how to farm and have seed in bulk and equipment for the area. 2 they can fix their equipment themselves and even make new stuff, 3 they know some of the local ecology and the topography, 4 they tend to have a few guns they use a lot for hunting, know how to maintain, and are better marksmen than most preppers, they can defend their homes but prefer to be pacifists. in SHTF they will be the last to even know.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM

The author thinks there should be a kinder and gentler survivalist community. LOL
Old 03-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Gentlemen, thank you for this thread. It is a dose of common sense after I've spent way too much time in the Survivalist forums!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:49 PM

We're all preppers.

Sure many perhaps most are internet commandos that can't survive five minutes without checking their FB status, but lets face it we all use net/text jargon to abbreviate our posts and make our point. Shows like doomsday preppers don't seek to show the true face of prepping anymore than shows like Gold Rush want to show streamlined gold mining production. It's entertainment. IMO people that cannot see a difference from clown on a "reality" TV show and someone wanting to be in control of their lives after a potential disaster are the same people that want the government to take of them. Surely the term homesteading has a similar meaning to most people. Heck I'm willing to bet most on this forum aren't true homesteaders. I'm not. I have a job and work, but I do live in the sticks on 20 acres and do the best I can to be self reliant. That's all preppers want to be is self reliant. I would rather be dead than live in the burbs, but if people like living that way want to do something...anything I'm all for it.

Homesteading, prepping, survivalist......whatever. So long as they're doing what's best for themselves and their families go for it. The fad and the term will fade at some point, but the people that partake in it will still exist as they have for time out of mind.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
We're all preppers.

Surely the term homesteading has a similar meaning to most people. Heck I'm willing to bet most on this forum aren't true homesteaders. I'm not. I have a job and work, but I do live in the sticks on 20 acres and do the best I can to be self reliant. That's all preppers want to be is self reliant. I would rather be dead than live in the burbs, but if people like living that way want to do something...anything I'm all for it.

Homesteading, prepping, survivalist......whatever. So long as they're doing what's best for themselves and their families go for it. The fad and the term will fade at some point, but the people that partake in it will still exist as they have for time out of mind.
I agree that many of us here aren't true homesteaders, but I think that most here are working towards that self-reliant goal, are very close to it, or have been there and can't do it anymore, due to age and health.

I'm a guy that is working toward it, but still work a traditional job but with all resources being focused on the future homestead goal. Learning and employing skills that will benefit that lifestyle, while taking small consistent steps to make that a realization.

I used to go to the survivalist forums, but don't anymore - this type of forum is much more realistic, which is why I identify myself as someone that drives towards self-sufficiency, and not as a prepper or survivalist.

Semantics, but, hey - sometimes it matters (at least to the internal self).
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
most prepper types i know of would not last long in a shtf situation, sure they have a bunker and a year supply of food and enough guns to equip a regiment, but when that foods gone they are out of luck, they stock seed packs in those vaults but that looks like a tiny amount of seed for a tiny garden, and probably won't do well if they don't know how to grow it. they can only use one or 2 guns at a time (one long gun and maybe a handgun as backup) the rest are dust collectors. they look like Rambo but half their fancy gear will probably fail in a week (those straws that filter water).

in a SHTF situation i would rather have an Amish family next door than a prepper, 1 they know how to farm and have seed in bulk and equipment for the area. 2 they can fix their equipment themselves and even make new stuff, 3 they know some of the local ecology and the topography, 4 they tend to have a few guns they use a lot for hunting, know how to maintain, and are better marksmen than most preppers, they can defend their homes but prefer to be pacifists. in SHTF they will be the last to even know.
I agree, hands on skill usually trumps lots of supplies with no experience.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 PM

I watched a few of those episodes of Doomsday Preppers. What a joke. First of all, the people they had on that show were prepping for the probability of the ridiculous. One man was prepping for Yellowstone to blow up and create a wasteland. Another man was prepping for an asteroid strike, which will wipe out mankind. Of course, to see these kinds of nut jobs on TV makes anyone who preps look like an idiot. But again, its those types who sell TV time, not the person who's prepping for a real time scenario like a hurricane Katrina that might knock out society for the short term, or a court decision that causes widespread rioting to break out and the law to temporarily disappear.

The best thing I ever saw concerning prepping was a picture of an Amish Girl standing in front of a gas station sign when the gas prices were real high. The caption read; "WHO'S LAUGHING NOW BITCH".....That says it all.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
I watched a few of those episodes of Doomsday Preppers. What a joke. First of all, the people they had on that show were prepping for the probability of the ridiculous. One man was prepping for Yellowstone to blow up and create a wasteland. Another man was prepping for an asteroid strike, which will wipe out mankind. Of course, to see these kinds of nut jobs on TV makes anyone who preps look like an idiot. But again, its those types who sell TV time, not the person who's prepping for a real time scenario like a hurricane Katrina that might knock out society for the short term, or a court decision that causes widespread rioting to break out and the law to temporarily disappear.

The best thing I ever saw concerning prepping was a picture of an Amish Girl standing in front of a gas station sign when the gas prices were real high. The caption read; "WHO'S LAUGHING NOW BITCH".....That says it all.

that sounds awsome! i have to look that up now, lol
Old 03-03-2015, 02:07 PM

I really appreciate the author's points about connotation and appearances. I also understand why some people go out of their way to weed out "scary words", but you can go too far. At the end of the day, the "connotation game" is a war you will never win.

Today you can come up with fancy new terms to replace the ones that invoke a negative perception, but tomorrow those new terms will have the same connotations applied to them. Switch "BOB" to "GHB" and after a while it seems just as bad to the general public. Why are you needing to "Get Home" on foot and why do you need an acronym?

That's why my vehicle isn't called my "BOV," it's just "the car".
The gear in my car isn't part of my "BOB," it's just "my tools".
The sustenance in my home isn't my "emergency survival rations," it's just "my food and water".
Old 03-03-2015, 02:52 PM

In my opinion there is a lot of hype on those survivalist type boards. Anyone true to being prepared certainly won't be talking about it letting everyone know what they have put back for emergencies be it short or long term.

The past couple months I've been reading on a survivalist forum when I can't sleep in the middle of the night. Most of the time I get a good laugh out of it. More than half the threads I see are things like "how will I get my ipad to work" and so many desperately trying to setup a generator (so their electronic gadgets will work). I just shake my head to myself - what has this world come to?

Food
Water
Shelter
Old 03-03-2015, 04:26 PM

My experience is that a lot of the articles in many prepper forums is a combo of BS and bravado that gets old fast....

"How will I keep my (name gadget) working ??" I have no sympathy for "one handed people" even on a good day... That is those who can't spend a waking moment without (name gadget) in one hand... But that is there self inflicted handy cap.... KnowwhatImean...
Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
My experience is that a lot of the articles in many prepper forums is a combo of BS and bravado that gets old fast....

"How will I keep my (name gadget) working ??" I have no sympathy for "one handed people" even on a good day... That is those who can't spend a waking moment without (name gadget) in one hand... But that is there self inflicted handy cap.... KnowwhatImean...
Exactly......!!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post

I've told my kids many a time that if the grid goes down and their I phones stop working they're going to be looking for the nearest bridge to leap from. I guess my wife and I are to blame for allowing them to have an I phone, but I'm not one to deprive my kids of technology. I have told them that when I was growing up nobody had such a device (to their horror and disbelief), and they too would learn to live without them once they stop working.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post

....in a SHTF situation i would rather have an Amish family next door than a prepper,.....
Exactly right! They're already living the self-sufficient life.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 AM

I remember the couple who had all their teeth pulled (got fitted for dentures of course) in preparation for Y2K. Reason was they might not have access to dental care once the calendar turned 01-01-2000.

Or the people living in high rises who ordered wood/coal/pellet stoves.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:13 AM

I have a pretty complete library of books that I can reference for information, but I sure would be bummed if I couldn't have my kindle charged as a highly portable backup.

Lucky, it's pretty easy to keep a kindle charged.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
Exactly......!!
You guys are sooo right.
and I am that generation.
The one-handers drive me Nuts.

I even wrote about it in a social psychology thesis that because people are so goddamn attached to their phones, if *someone like me* doesn't answer at any given time, it's considered socially rude. People assume you're available for contact.
Um. no.
i'm sorry....I am not available anytime to anyone needing immediate contact just because I own a smartphone. To be honest, that thing spends more time lost than it does on my person.

I make a point to take it with me into the barn in case I fall through the floorboards.

I love technology, I am a scientist, however...this obsession with hand held devices has it's limits. or should.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Exactly right! They're already living the self-sufficient life.
Don't believe all the hype. The Amish aren't as self sufficient than you think. Yes, they are more self sufficient than most Englishers, however many of them do rely on technology, especially in their businesses. Not all of them are farmers, in fact more of them aren't. Most have carpentry, cabinetry, roofing, and other businesses, and all of them need phones, computers, etc in order to keep their businesses going. They would not go unscathed if the grid were to collapse. Now I'd think they more than most would be able to adapt to a changing world where things suddenly became simpler, however don't for a minute think the Amish are totally self sufficient because they aren't. What you see on TV isn't the truth about the Amish culture.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Don't believe all the hype. The Amish aren't as self sufficient than you think. Yes, they are more self sufficient than most Englishers, however many of them do rely on technology, especially in their businesses. Not all of them are farmers, in fact more of them aren't. Most have carpentry, cabinetry, roofing, and other businesses, and all of them need phones, computers, etc in order to keep their businesses going. They would not go unscathed if the grid were to collapse. Now I'd think they more than most would be able to adapt to a changing world where things suddenly became simpler, however don't for a minute think the Amish are totally self sufficient because they aren't. What you see on TV isn't the truth about the Amish culture.
most of the Amish in my area do farm, but they are a relativly new population, most of them only came within the last 10 years, before that they were in an area 300 miles away where there was no more farmland available (they bought it up and there was heavy competition for anything up for sale, they either had to work at stuff other than farming or move), this areas Amish are essentially a "colony" of the younger families moving to an area where the economy sucks, and the old farms are overgrown with weeds and shrubs, lands cheap so they buy up the old farms and start working on them. in a generation i expect to see them start non farm work but for now they are mostly farmers in my area. and they use chainsaws and some drink beer (a more liberal amish group), i have worked with them on land clearing work a few times (me and some Amish all hired to clear the same lot for someone else), no one is completly self sufficent but they are very hard working and industrious, if they had to they would get by much easier in a shtf world than most anyone else, but that is by comparison.