BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
most of the Amish in my area do farm, but they are a relativly new population, most of them only came within the last 10 years, before that they were in an area 300 miles away where there was no more farmland available (they bought it up and there was heavy competition for anything up for sale, they either had to work at stuff other than farming or move), this areas Amish are essentially a "colony" of the younger families moving to an area where the economy sucks, and the old farms are overgrown with weeds and shrubs, lands cheap so they buy up the old farms and start working on them. in a generation i expect to see them start non farm work but for now they are mostly farmers in my area. and they use chainsaws and some drink beer (a more liberal amish group), i have worked with them on land clearing work a few times (me and some Amish all hired to clear the same lot for someone else), no one is completly self sufficent but they are very hard working and industrious, if they had to they would get by much easier in a shtf world than most anyone else, but that is by comparison.

I also know of at least 2 families that live in single wide trailers, they don't build a timber frame house from scratch, they use whats available as long as it does not violate their code of conduct, they value community and don't like anything that breaks up a close community (go see someone in person rather than call on a phone)
Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default speaking of misconceptions about survivalism

I have had Amish people for neighbors before, I don't want to live next door to such people now, nor do I want to live next to people such as this after the balloon goes up,

the Amish people that I have known are very selfish and very self righteous, they viewed everyone else in the world as evil and lesser than they themselves, they felt they were much better than everyone else in the world , they wore bigots.
they distrusted and despised anyone who was not a member of their family,such as their cousins aunts uncles, and even some of them did not like other groups of Amish people, they were very dishonest always looking to take advantage of people, they were cheats and liars.

one time on a farm that I was living on in Wyoming, the people were getting ready to butcher off part of their chicken heard, about 50 chickens I think it was, they called a few people and ask them if they wanted to come get some of the chickens they said they're free if you want them, a family of Amish people said that they would like to take a few dozen of the chickens, they thought that would be a pretty good deal, we begin butchering the chickens and a few hours later we wondered where the family of Amish people was they had not come to get their chickens, so someone went and called them, the Amish said "oh we thought you were going to butcher them clean them and deliver them up here to us, if we have to come get them and butcher them ourselves then we don't want any"

also the idea of having an Amish family next to you because somehow they're going to take care of you cuz they have all the skills needed to live a self-reliant life is a welfare mentality,
if you believe that people need to have self reliant homesteading skills, then you need to be doing it yourself, you cannot be trusting in your neighbors to be doing your work for you because you don't want to do what you know needs to be done.

"I want to live next to the Amish cuz they will take care of me when the SHTF"

yeah they're going to take care of you good.

for 20 years I've heard people tell about how they're going to load up their fancy shooting rifles and their military manuals and their Rambo knife and go find a community of Amish people and offer their bodyguard protection skills in return for room and board, the Amish people will feed clothe and house them, and every morning they will load their ar-15 and go on patrol, sneak around on the perimeter keeping watch over the Amish farms, protecting the Amish from evil gangs of looters and cannibal nazi bikers from the big cities,
and of course some of those young Amish women are going to take special notice of the loan he-man stranger who rode into the community to protect them all, a lot of people have really got carried away with this fantasy.

the only difference between most of the Amish, and most of the other people in this world is after they stab you in the back, or cut your throat while you're asleep, the Amish will feed you to their hogs. where the other people have no hogs to feed you too.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 PM

^^ Now that's a funny story! Love the part where the Amish family gives the other Amish family a call......

I think someone has been watching too much TV.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
I have had Amish people for neighbors before, I don't want to live next door to such people now, nor do I want to live next to people such as this after the balloon goes up,

the Amish people that I have known are very selfish and very self righteous, they viewed everyone else in the world as evil and lesser than they themselves, they felt they were much better than everyone else in the world , they wore bigots.
they distrusted and despised anyone who was not a member of their family,such as their cousins aunts uncles, and even some of them did not like other groups of Amish people, they were very dishonest always looking to take advantage of people, they were cheats and liars.

one time on a farm that I was living on in Wyoming, the people were getting ready to butcher off part of their chicken heard, about 50 chickens I think it was, they called a few people and ask them if they wanted to come get some of the chickens they said they're free if you want them, a family of Amish people said that they would like to take a few dozen of the chickens, they thought that would be a pretty good deal, we begin butchering the chickens and a few hours later we wondered where the family of Amish people was they had not come to get their chickens, so someone went and called them, the Amish said "oh we thought you were going to butcher them clean them and deliver them up here to us, if we have to come get them and butcher them ourselves then we don't want any"

also the idea of having an Amish family next to you because somehow they're going to take care of you cuz they have all the skills needed to live a self-reliant life is a welfare mentality,
if you believe that people need to have self reliant homesteading skills, then you need to be doing it yourself, you cannot be trusting in your neighbors to be doing your work for you because you don't want to do what you know needs to be done.

for 20 years I've heard people tell about how they're going to load up their fancy shooting rifles and their military manuals and their Rambo knife and go find a community of Amish people and offer their bodyguard protection skills in return for room and board, the Amish people will feed clothe and house them, and every morning they will load their ar-15 and go on patrol, sneak around on the perimeter keeping watch over the Amish farms, protecting the Amish from evil gangs of looters and cannibal nazi bikers from the big cities,
and of course some of those young Amish women are going to take special notice of the loan he-man stranger who rode into the community to protect them all, a lot of people have really got carried away with this fantasy.

the only difference between most of the Amish, and most of the other people in this world is after they stab you in the back, or cut your throat while you're asleep, the Amish will feed you to their hogs. where the other people have no hogs to feed you too.

I did not say they would take care of people like a welfare mentaility. I was discussing with one of them about the stuff i use to cultivate my field (i use a vintage Planet JR that i rebuilt), he offered to use his horse and plow to do it (take him 3 hours, rather than 3 days for me), not free of course but if i was willing to pay a couple bucks he would do my field the same week he does his. they won't do things for you, but will often help if there is something for them in trade. i see no reason they would not barter with neighbors in a post shtf situation, getting them started in exchange for something (cash, firewood, etc, i once traded some old wooden doors with an Amish neighbor for a bushel of potatoes, i had the doors taking up space in my garage, he needed doors for something and had plenty of potatoes). IF you are willing to work, it would be beneficial to have them help get you started (plow up your half acre yard into a half acre field, then supply you with seed and some advice in exchange for something, they are business minded and opportunistic)

but it also depends on the local Amish community, our local Amish are younger families who are leaving older communities, they are also far more liberal than a lot of other groups, if someone is willing to pay (cash or some other thing they are interested in) they are willing to work. in a post shtf situation they won't be out there doing things for people but will be opportunistic if its in their interest as well.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:

the Amish i know are also extremly pacifistic, they won't fight or harm anyone unless they must. a few weeks ago 2 Amish girls in the next county over were abducted by a couple of pedofiles, they were safely recovered but the Amish didn't retaliate outside of letting the police haul away the pedofiles, Amish farm stands are frequently victims of hit and run raids (car stops and someone grabs the cash box and produce then speeds off), they don't respond because the police will do it for them, but if there were no police they are very able to protect themselves (no one shoots more deer and rabbits, they are very skilled marksmen).

and my first post was that i would rather live next door to the Amish than to live next door to a prepper, because most of the preppers i have known are like you described, Rambo wannabes who stockpile guns, and rations and fancy stuff but don't have much practical skill for a long term crisis. the Amish would have tools that don't require electricity and probably have seeds, they would (as opportunists) be able to be hired (for some kind of profit to themselves) to help people get started (if they were willing to do most of the work themselves), and would be able to provide mutual defense (if troublemakers came to the area it would affect both Amish and non Amish, if there are no police they would work with the locals because it benefits themselves). a prepper may only have guns and just enough supplies for themselves for a year or 2 and olny be willing to cover their own personal interests where the Amish are concerned with the well being of the Amish community first, then the Non Amish locals if its going to benefit themselves too. in a long term shtf situation i do think it would be better to have Amish neighbors than a Prepper, because the Amish would be more beneficial (though you would need to be willing to work like you never did before, because there is only so much they would do and then only if it benefitted them)
Old 03-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
the Amish i know are also extremly pacifistic, they won't fight or harm anyone unless they must. a few weeks ago 2 Amish girls in the next county over were abducted by a couple of pedofiles, they were safely recovered but the Amish didn't retaliate outside of letting the police haul away the pedofiles, Amish farm stands are frequently victims of hit and run raids (car stops and someone grabs the cash box and produce then speeds off), they don't respond because the police will do it for them, but if there were no police they are very able to protect themselves (no one shoots more deer and rabbits, they are very skilled marksmen).

and my first post was that i would rather live next door to the Amish than to live next door to a prepper, because most of the preppers i have known are like you described, Rambo wannabes who stockpile guns, and rations and fancy stuff but don't have much practical skill for a long term crisis. the Amish would have tools that don't require electricity and probably have seeds, they would (as opportunists) be able to be hired (for some kind of profit to themselves) to help people get started (if they were willing to do most of the work themselves), and would be able to provide mutual defense (if troublemakers came to the area it would affect both Amish and non Amish, if there are no police they would work with the locals because it benefits themselves). a prepper may only have guns and just enough supplies for themselves for a year or 2 and olny be willing to cover their own personal interests where the Amish are concerned with the well being of the Amish community first, then the Non Amish locals if its going to benefit themselves too. in a long term shtf situation i do think it would be better to have Amish neighbors than a Prepper, because the Amish would be more beneficial (though you would need to be willing to work like you never did before, because there is only so much they would do and then only if it benefitted them)
and while i am already living like the Amish in many ways (off grid homestead, built everything myself, and i too am opportunistic, that may be why the Amish are more willing to talk to me), i was basing my comment on the hypothasis of someone who was not self reliant but not a welfare type either. if someone lived in the country, had some land, but not skill or tools because they made a living full time at something else (like the people who commute to work in the Zinc mine, or one of the other big employers in the region), they would be able to work and have some land to work but not the skill or tools for agriculture, in a shtf situation when they can't work anymore (full time in the mine paid very well but left little time for anything else, in shtf situation the mines might close, this example is based on someone i knew who did work in a mine but that mine did close and the people laid off did know how to work and just went to work hard at something else).
Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 PM

I actually was not referring to anything you said setanta on this post, but some things other people said.
and of course I am not making anything personal against anyone here only voicing my opinion Ect Ect Ect
Old 03-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Master Pontificator

The terminology of the prepper/survivalist crowd seems to be somewhat fluid & evolving to me. Many people seem to have a difficult time expressing just what it is they want to convey in words and describing the prepper/survivalist mindset is not an easy task for many, myself included.

Having a unique language is not something I see as bad, as long as it is more or less used within house with other like minded individuals. Discussing things in public where others do not know or understand the language can project an undesirable image I don't think the average person ascribed to our mindset would desire. I for one try and be circumspect when discussing these ideas on line where the greatest immunity is afforded an individual. When discussing matters with like minded other individuals or in small groups virtually everyone knows & understands much without a lot of talk and I doubt anyone tells all they are doing. I certainly do not for sure. And if a strangers happens in, usually all the talk ceases until their presence has ended.

Reverting to the language issue for a moment, the texting crowd today has their own language, the hippies of a couple decades in the past had their own language and the criminal element and gangs certainly have their own unique languages also, so why is it so difficult for an outsider to accept and understand that other people of a certain mindset also have certain phrases and key words to convey specific meaning.

Just talking the jargon of any somewhat specialized sect in public, it certainly can be perceived in ways not favorable to the particular sect regardless of who or what it is.

If trying to convince someone of the logic in preparing for the future, speaking simply and straightforward probably will be more effective than trying to impress them with a unique but somewhat foreign language. If they decided they want to be of the persuasion they will likely learn the language too!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:36 AM

Someone "went to call" (the Amish)? (Re the free chickens). Thought the Amish didn't use phones. ?

This reminds me of our area of the city here in Chicago called China Town.

You never hear about crime there, but it happens.

There was a hair-cutting incident reported on TV not so long ago (the cutting done by an Amish guy called "Mullet":

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/23/justic...ges/index.html

I was shocked and amazed... I'm sure more goes on, we just don't hear about it.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
^^ Now that's a funny story! Love the part where the Amish family gives the other Amish family a call......

I think someone has been watching too much TV.
actually he didn't specify the first farm being Amish, he just said it was a farm. and someone called the Amish, while some Amish are permitted to have phones (in an outbuilding for Emergencies, depends on the community) it may have through an intermediary, the Amish in my area use the county bus but need to call to schedule the ride first. most arrange for a neighbor to act as their intermediary receiving calls on their behalf and delivering it in person. its also possible they were mistaken for Amish, or were Menonite (similar to the Amish but not as strict, they can own phones and own cars).

while some of his arguments seemed odd, extreme or even paranoid, I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he was shortening the story to limit an already long post. oddly he sounds a lot like one of my Uncles who talks like that.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
The terminology of the prepper/survivalist crowd seems to be somewhat fluid & evolving to me. Many people seem to have a difficult time expressing just what it is they want to convey in words and describing the prepper/survivalist mindset is not an easy task for many, myself included.

Having a unique language is not something I see as bad, as long as it is more or less used within house with other like minded individuals. Discussing things in public where others do not know or understand the language can project an undesirable image I don't think the average person ascribed to our mindset would desire. I for one try and be circumspect when discussing these ideas on line where the greatest immunity is afforded an individual. When discussing matters with like minded other individuals or in small groups virtually everyone knows & understands much without a lot of talk and I doubt anyone tells all they are doing. I certainly do not for sure. And if a strangers happens in, usually all the talk ceases until their presence has ended.

Reverting to the language issue for a moment, the texting crowd today has their own language, the hippies of a couple decades in the past had their own language and the criminal element and gangs certainly have their own unique languages also, so why is it so difficult for an outsider to accept and understand that other people of a certain mindset also have certain phrases and key words to convey specific meaning.

Just talking the jargon of any somewhat specialized sect in public, it certainly can be perceived in ways not favorable to the particular sect regardless of who or what it is.

If trying to convince someone of the logic in preparing for the future, speaking simply and straightforward probably will be more effective than trying to impress them with a unique but somewhat foreign language. If they decided they want to be of the persuasion they will likely learn the language too!
I use money to describe my self reliance, its hard to misunderstand when i tell people I only spend about $100 a year to heat my place, when they frequently spend more than $4000 a year. $100 a year for chainsaw gas, oil and maintenence, cut split and stack the wood over the course of 2 weekends, then burn it as fuel, simple, yes, easy, yes, its labor intense rather than expensive. but when they are feeling the pinch of paying every paycheck to try to keep up with the fuel oil bill, its very easy to explain why i do what i do.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Paranoia is when you think someone is out to get you when they really are not,

Its not paranoid when someone is out to get you.

I never said an amish family called another amish family to tell them they wore watching too much TV.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Paranoia is when you think someone is out to get you when they really are not,

Its not paranoid when someone is out to get you.

I never said an amish family called another amish family to tell them they wore watching too much TV.
Indeed, I have been called paranoid myself, but then i have unpleasant people stalking and harassing me (Abusive dysfunctional family).

Paranoid may have been the wrong word, but it did seem unrealistic that the Amish would stab someone in the back or kill them in their sleep and throw them to the hogs, they aren't that devious. though your input about the attitude of survivalists offering protection to the Amish as a plan was accurate about their unrealistic plans. the Amish would deal with locals already in the area, but as pacifists they would be direct and tell troublemakers to leave (a gang of armed people offering "protection"), they would avoid a conflict at all costs but if threatened would fight back as a last resort, and very effectivly.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Thinking about it a little..... I didn't catch on to where the person was that wrote this article.. I have to say location, population, and things like that have a lot to do with how prepper or prepper terms are viewed.....

For instance..... Around here, I can go out in jeans, camo cap, camo jacket, that is nothing out of normal.... But when I ware one of my like new, $1.99 thrift store Arrow shirts..... (I make them look good ) people wonder .....why is he so dressed up ????

SeewhatImean....
Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 PM

Well I've not had any dealings with Amish people who I'd describe as distrustful or liars. I had bought firewood from an Amish man for years and he was a decent man who always gave me a little more than I paid for. We've bought a few dogs from Amish breeders and they were not puppy mills and did not mistreat their animals. I guess there are bad apples in every bunch and I'm sure the Amish are no exception. Its just that most people who don't live near them or have not had any dealings with the Amish form opinions of them that just aren't true. A lot of it has to do with TV shows like Amish Mafia, Breaking Amish, etc. Those shows are nothing but contrived BS. But again like I mentioned before the Amish are not as self sufficient as many people think and I think in a SHTF scenario , they'd have their own troubles to overcome just as we all would.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:31 AM

Default Apocalipse Tomorrow , Duncan long

. . . most people receive their perceptions of what the world is like from TV.
during the late 1970's ,TV, especially fictitious programs, had gone for the sensational, violent, and or the warped. And in the process, survivalism had certainly gotten a bum rap from TV. Shows like Lou Grant, Trapper John, Simon and Simon, A team, scarecrow and Mrs King, taxi, and other popular series and sitcoms had all featured a group of "fanatics" who were self-proclaimed survivalist. By the end of the show the hero invariably proved that only the insane would want to be survivors of a nuclear war or whatever the current programs worry might be. Such shows always painted a picture of survivalists which suggested they were always bigoted selfish lowlifes.

. . . unfortunately, news programs for the most part refused to entertain the idea that survivalist might be making very rational preparations to survive a very real danger. Instead the survivalist have become a cheap target to be fired upon by media commentators and reporters trying to keep the status quo in place.
the stories carried by the networks were often as misleading as were the views of survivalist given by their entertainment divisions.
aimed at the visual as well as the aerial, TV newscasters relished camera shots of camouflaged survivalists crawling through the woods with assault rifles blasting popup human-shaped targets. additionally some oddball groups like the Posse Comitatus and even the KKK lump themselves in with a survivalist movement even though they weren't part of the group as far as survivalist wore concerned.
the stereotype created by the media of the 'nut survivalist' has also posed another problem to the survival movement. Negative stereotypes attract mentally ill or emotionally disturbed people, Rambo types that in another age might have simply joined the Marines or who might have become mercenaries instead see the survival movement as a chance to buy a gun wear camos and act weird, the media creates the problem in attracting people like this to a way of life that was fiction, until the mentally disturbed make it become real .
the outcome of all this bad press if that many survivalist no longer call themselves survivalist, they've gone underground to being to avoid being tarred with the same brush at the media has used on other people who were not survivalist, but criminals or mentally ill people . . .

from chapter 2, Rambos need not apply
Old 03-18-2015, 03:01 PM

Default Perceptions

I'd have to agree that we cannot control other's perception of us, whether we are preppers or not. Also, I think some preppers go too far with their jargon and agenda and scare others to death. Noone wants to contemplate too long on our country going under, our leaders not protecting the masses, our families dying when attacked by roving bands, and so on.

It is, imho, best to prepare in increments. My awakening occurred about 15 yrs. ago when an ice storm hit in Ohio. As a result, we were without electricity for ten days. Some went without power for only 3 days. I'm not bright, but it didn't take me long to figure, while we could manage without lights, it was more than an inconvenience to not be able to get water to drink. How would we water our couple of cows? Our water comes from a well 300' down. We also had whole house electric, so cooking became more interesting. Luckily, we could improvise some. The electric went out during Christmas to New Year's Day. It was cold, snowy, icy and you could hear the trees coming down all night throughout the forest that surrounded our house. Luckily no branches, etc. hit our house.

With some neighbors help and improvising we managed. We used our wood burning stove for warmth. Others were not so lucky and would have frozen to death, so they were invited to go sleep on a wood floor at the nearest grade school. We were able to cook a little canned soup on it too. We went outside and used our cooker and propane for bigger meals. We soon thereafter, switched from candles to oil burning lanterns because we perceived it to be safer for inside use. Every year now we can vegetables and have a garden. Both the husband and I have hunted.

Do we still have lots to learn. Certainly!!!! I have also invested in many books about being prepared. We are doing better than when we were ignorant/oblivious of life's possibilities and living in the city. When the power goes off now, we roll our eyes, grab the generator and start thinking. Begin to improvise. Life is a learning process. Eventually, with planning, we will be even better off than we are currently.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Master Pontificator

I grew up living the life of a prepper/survivalist, and there were others all around me living that same life, yet the terms were not coined for another 25 - 30 years or more. I can not exactly remember when I first heard the term survivalist, and then later came prepper.

The home was heated by a fireplace and later a wood heater. Firewood was cut in the late summer or early fall and after being split it was stacked under the roofed wood shed for use when cold weather arrived.

We had a garden and food was canned for over winter or some future use and some of the peas, beans, etc were left to dry on the vines before being picked to have dried beans.

Later canning was largely abandoned in favor of frozen foods. Wild berries and fruits were also picked and canned or frozen. We had pecan trees, so picking and shelling pecans was also accomplished, if one wanted tasty treats garnished with pecan nuts. Back then I had no idea mechanical pecan harvesting, cracking and shelling machines existed.

Every couple of years a beef animal was selected for special feeding and once his time had came he was delivered to the custom slaughter house for processing. We (ourselves) butchered our own hogs, normally two and occasionally three each fall and our poultry flock regularly numbered 30 - 50 hens for fresh eggs and most years a new hatching or two of chicks would provide replacement hens and layers for the flock and the excess roosters would make excellent Sunday dinners during the spring and summer.

When hunting season opened in the fall rabbits, squirrels and deer harvested would grace our table and supplement our meals. Spring meant time to fish, and fish replaced wild game during meals.

You knew your neighbors and they knew you. If you needed a helping hand all one had to do was ask, and the courtesy was always reciprocal.

If power was lost, it was not a big problem. Out came the lanterns and illumination was restored and normal daily activities continued just the same. There was no panic, we grocery shopped for the store bought necessities about once each month. We needed very little that was not in the kitchen pantry, deep freezer or the smokehouse.

Then I graduated high school and was introduced to the real world when I went off to college.

It was not too bad, and now the wife and I are trying to return to that very basic world where panic is very negligible or nonexistent. We don't really consider ourselves survivalist or preppers either one, but we do largely embrace the mindset of both groups. It is more the philosophy & motto of the Boy Scouts - BE PREPARED! Prepared for what? What ever comes along? Winter storm, power outages, flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, drought, literally what ever comes our way, be it man-made or created by Mother Nature, while all the time being grey or neutral, without drawing any undue attention to ourselves, or at least trying to avoid any undue attention.

I believe we operate under the radar very easily, largely by keeping a tight lip and explaining things as simply as possible. Man that is a large grocery bill you got there, is answered with something to the effect we are retired and shop only once ever month to six weeks, and have both our mother and a grandson living with us. All quite true, but the shopping part, which is more like ever 3 - 4 weeks, but 4 - 6 makes the quantity seem more reasonable. We also rotate the stores where we shop from trip to trip, so the likely hood of seeing the same questioner before 3 - 4 months have passed, if ever again, is questionable or doubtful.

Someone else said it is all in the mind, and I largely agree. It is a mindset, and what we call ourselves is irrelevant. But being "grey", "neutral", "nondescript", "flying under the radar", or whatever you want to call the invisible aspect of being prepared to be self-sufficient is very relevant and essential if one is going to be successful.

At least that is my 2 cents, which will not buy you anything in this day & age!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 PM

I think some of you can't tell the difference between Mennonites and the Amish.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
I think some of you can't tell the difference between Mennonites and the Amish.
Indeed, its like comparing Catholics to Protestants. the Menonites were a protestant group in the 1600s, the Amish were a more fanatical and stricter group that broke away from them about 80 years later. most people i know think the term is interchangable, but there are no Menonites in the area that i know of and a lot of Amish.