BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Out of Control TV - Sound

Anyone familiar with TVs?

Is there a way to control the sound from escalating when someone sings, screams or some rap music comes on and commercials.

We have an older TV and not a flat screen.

My hearing is better than hubby's. The sound is just...annoying and it's hard to hear myself think.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post

My hearing is better than hubby's. The sound is just...annoying and it's hard to hear myself think.
The future in-laws have the same issue. His hearing is bad, while she can hear a pin drop from a mile away.

The future FIL now has a device like a hearing aid, but is used specifically to hear the TV better.

In theory, this is supposed to allow for the TV to be turned down. In practice, the TV is typically turned up high and the "device" sitting next to the recliner.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Anyone familiar with TVs?

Is there a way to control the sound from escalating when someone sings, screams or some rap music comes on and commercials.

We have an older TV and not a flat screen.

Yes there certainly is.
It is called the on-off control- best left in the off position all the time. Anoying meaningless sound is completely eliminated.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Kachad,

I got a good laugh this morning, 'cause that describes us completely.

I thought about one of those "hearing amplifiers" but I'd have to hog tie him to make him wear it. Went to an audiologist 6 months ago (I had to push for that) and we found out he has problems with "frequencies associated with those of female voices" - meaning higher pitched. You can see what I'm up against, LOL. Not sure how that equates with the TV, though...

His dad was hard-of-hearing, too (but was 89). He used to take his hearing aid battery out a lot.

When he was working, I never had the TV on from when he left out the door at 7:30 a.m. until he got home at 5:30 p.m. Now the TV is on 7-12:30 p.m.

He suggested getting a pair of wireless headset ear phones; I wonder if it would go the way of the amplifier?

Still am confused why the TV is suddenly ramping up sound when music comes on, etc.

Last edited by connie189; 03-12-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM

MissouriFree,

Sounds good to me.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:30 PM

I wear hearing aids otherwise I wouldn't hear much.
My hearing aids have a blue tooth device that connects to the TV so I can listen to it.
I also have closed caption turned on so I don't miss anything when I'm not wearing my hearing aids.
I have a set of headphones that I can also use but I never liked them.
Too bulky and they make my ears hot.
Maybe you could try a remote speaker close to him.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 PM

backlash,

Hubby would like that (the blue tooth aspect).

While hubby has some issues with hearing (he was told he is "borderline" for a device), the TV is a problem on to itself.

When a commercial comes on, or there is music with a show, or someone screams (in the show) then the sound on the TV ramps up to uncomfortable levels.

He is constantly lowering the sound because of it.

A device would help him hear at levels I'm at and to help keep the sound down, but the TV is rabid no matter what setting we put on it.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM

There are automatic volume controllers available.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...lume%20control
Never used one but it might be worth a shot.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 PM

backlash,

Thanks! Didn't know this sort of thing existed...will check it out.

I almost ordered earphones yesterday...Unisar TV Listening J3 Infrared Wireless at Walmart that hubby picked out.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 AM

backlash,

After studying the controllers, hubby says that from what he read, they won't work with an older model TV. (The only way for our TV to go out is for us to shoot it, LOL).

Some newer TVs may have volume control (according to one of the write-ups - the feedback someone left).

I thought there was a law passed that TV stations can't increase volume anymore during commercials, during shows, etc.

The problem is worse in the evening than at any other time during the day.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:36 AM

I have trouble watching older shows on DVD. The background music or sound effects are often louder than the dialog. Add in a raging case of hyperacusis and you can see the trouble!

If I'm reading it right, those automatic volume adjusters just turn the volume setting higher or lower? What I need is something brings the loud and quiet sounds closer together in volume even when they're happening at the same time.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 AM

Ellendra,

Looks like the guys gave up on us, LOL.

Interesting about the DVD sound problem.

Maybe the problem has to do with how the devices are hooked up (cables/wires).
Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Ellendra,

Looks like the guys gave up on us, LOL.

Interesting about the DVD sound problem.

Maybe the problem has to do with how the devices are hooked up (cables/wires).
Maybe us Guys are developing "gender biased reading skills" along with our hearing issues with "frequencies associated with those of female voices"

But seriously, I was thinking about hearing dialogue versus everything else. We run our TV through our stereo system, and have a center speaker. For some shows, turning up the center speaker gives more dialogue and reduces other things, like music and background sound.

I don't know if a lot of TV's have the ability to do that, especially if it's an older one - but you may want to check that idea out.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 PM

Kachad,

Very funny.

That sounds like a good idea you have. Our speakers are packed and in storage. (Trying to make our rooms look larger while our condo is up for sale). But it will give hubby something to do and experiment. (He misses messing with his stereo stuff for the past year).

He really wants a new (flat screen 32") TV which I promised we can purchase when we finally sell and move to our new location. Hopefully it will be lighter than the oldie we have now (you can get a hernia trying to pick it up to clean).
Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 AM

Would anyone know if "DTS studio sound" controls sound escalation (during programs and commercials).

Saw the specs on a 32" Samsung Smart TV, model H5203 while checking on Amazon:

"DTS premium sound 1.51Tm Decoding with DTS Studio Sound Processing"

Delivers immersive 5.1 surround sound from any DTS-encoded content and converts any two-channel audio content into a 5.1DTS surround sound playback... Experience surround sound with maximum bass response, dialog clarity and consistent volume levels from all your content, including Blu-ray movies, TV programming, streaming and games."

Hubby called Samsung; they said they didn't have volume control. I went to Amazon got the specifications and above (reads to me) like it would keep sound level during programs and commercials. (I don't think the rep read it or interpreted it correctly).

Any insights appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:40 PM

If you add external speakers then I think the automatic sound controllers would work.
Might be something to look into.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanks!

I wonder why they can't make the TV with everything and not have to add auxiliary items.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 PM

The new LCD and LED flat screen TV's need a separate sound system anyway. Those little speakers that they fit in behind the screen are terrible. Just think how thin they have to be to fit in there.

Yes - all to make you buy more stuff.

I added a Polk soundbar to both my TV's and it made a huge difference.

About a year ago our old 32" CRT TV went bad after 15 years. When my new TV arrived we had to remove the old one. I was a lot younger when we put that old TV in there - I couldn't believe how heavy it was! Once we got it on the floor had to slide it out to the front porch and use the tractor loader to haul it out to the barn.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 AM

I can't believe I just ordered it for hubby on Amazon just now with a $9.99 2-year warranty.

Coaltrain,

Took two days of research, but just put an order in for the TV.

April 2nd - big date on the calendar. The seller also threw in some cables (didn't see that with the other TVs listed). (Since my birthday is in May, I should be the one getting something, but doesn't work that way at my house, LOL).

Hmmm...I used to have a portable B/W 4" screen TV from Radio Shack in the kitchen until it died (took 20 years).

Also a hand-held one that I still have in great shape, but of course, what can you get on it now? (Not sure why I'm holding on to it).

I just told hubby about your TV and he said, "that sounds like a monster (size)".

Did you ever move it out of your barn?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 AM

I gave my daughter my old 48" Toshiba projection TV.
She lived on the 3rd floor apartment.
It wasn't very good so when she moved her brother just tossed it off the balcony then picked up the pieces and threw them in the dumpster.
I unloaded a 47" Visio for my cousin and it was so light I had no problem carrying it in alone.
Technology has really changed.