BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
They're called dormers and while done are there for looks only most are a way to add a window and ceiling height to a second story room . They hold no more ice or snow than any other roof when properly installed. They date back to the 1500's,.
thats them, i looked it up after you mentioned it and those are the ones i was thinking of, and the thing is "when properly installed" a lot of the contractors around here do sloppy work and don't do them right, and the do it yourselfers are often worse.

sure they bring in more light and thats beneficial one way, but they are more complicated, requiring more materials and skill, and more maintenence, look better and may drive up property value. the thread was about whats better for survival in a house and the more basic the house, the less things can go wrong, and the easier it is to repair.

i lived in a house once that had a 4 foot high wall on the second story before the roof started (old victorian house) there were small basement like windows along the walls just under the eaves and the roof itself was plain. huge windows on the ends though.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
That's a good story and a good point. My truck is generic looking as it can be for a nice truck. Another thing about what you said that comes to mind is all these people with the car dealer advertisements all over it. Stickers on the back with the dealers name and address - license plate frames - front plates (we have no state front plate so the dealers put a full size plate on the front of the car with their name and address). This will shout out your location easily.

I don't know why anyone allows this - I refuse to have my nice truck be a running billboard for the dealer where I bought my truck.
I remember as a kid going with my grandfather to pick up his new truck at the dealership. When he found out that they put their lettering on the gate without telling him he made them order him in a new truck without the lettering on it.

I don't want advertisements on my truck either.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

CarMax did that to us (name stenciled on the car and plate holder).

Hubby didn't understand why I chewed them out (about the free advertising). I wanted it removed.

I don't recommend them to anyone (the stencil wasn't the only problem). How about maintenance and repair?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Master Pontificator

trucks as a bilboard....

any company out there that advertises asks me not to put their logo on my eyesore of a truck, i have a tendency to buy fully depreciated trucks for $1000. and the uglier the truck, the more i like it.

one of my favorates i paid $200 for, it had more dents in the body than a demo derby truck, lots of minor problems, it was black and just plain ugly and loud (no muffler), doors held closed with a bunji cord, etc. so i used white spray paint to double the ugly by scrawling a crude personal logo on the hood, decorating the sides and writing "tree removal" with a track phone number. for the 3 months that truck was on the road before the engine caught fire i had people asking me to cut my own firewood out of their yards (dead trees that fell in the yard, stuff like that, i just cut them up and hauled them home), that one truck got me 50 cords of easy firewood. i miss that truck.

had plenty of bumper stickers on it too, mostly "don't like loggers? wipe with plastic" "Jonsered, I farm the forest" and "no farms, no food"
Old 03-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Setanta,

The house I grew up in as a kid had a dormer.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 PM

i think there are lots of 'ifs' to consider. for us, we want a house big enough to be able to stay in for days at a time in case we are snowed in without the police finding at least one dead body come spring. My husband does lots of work at home so he needs an office area. And while he now works in the family room where the tv is at HIS insistence, he is very often distracted by it and gets little done.

We currently live in about 3500sq ft so backing down to 1800 won't be too drastic. We probably will have the 'nicest' home in the neighborhood but our 'hood' is mostly farms and mobile homes. Actually, not true...there are some very nice houses on the road in. There's no hiding when somebody new is there---there are only four houses on the road.

I have to (well DESIRE to) have a certain level of comfort. We have a camp cabin on this same property that is about as basic as you can get and it's a challenge sometimes to do things as simple as cook a meal. I COULD live there if we had to but it would not be a first choice.

I think you have to find the balance between your two visions.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 AM

Setanta,

For a minute I thought your truck caught fire with the dead firewood in it.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Setanta,

For a minute I thought your truck caught fire with the dead firewood in it.
it might have been worse if it was full of wood, but it was december 20th, my battery bank was low because of 2 weeks extended cloud cover and little wind. so i took my bank apart and hooked them up one at a time (12 volt marine) out to the truck, held the hook up with a branch and set up jumper cables to make the idling truck into a generator. a little wind kicked up, the rattling hood dislodged the branch and it fell on the cables. i saw the smoke and ran back over but by the time i got there the alternator was fried and a bunch of wires and hoses were charred and melted. could have fixed it but that would cost more than the truck was worth.

so i gutted it for parts (took the battery out cause it still worked) took lights, wires from the dome light, the dome light etc, if the alternator wasn't ruined i may have took that and tried to rig up a wind turbine with it. sold the truck for scrap and got $450 for the truck, with an extra $100 for the wheels (aluminum i guess). so i bought the truck for $200, used it for 3 months then sold it for $550. still miss it