BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:01 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Sound Self-Defense Technique Needed

Hi All,

Need some help solving a problem next door to where I live.

There is a U-shaped apartment/business building that we live behind. It has mostly studio apartments. It has a court way that faces our building. Also has a lot of tenants.

Sometimes it goes over the top (sound) when the weather gets warmer.

Today, groups of guys on the fire stairwell(s) "smoking"...kinda cool out so they moved indoors (to a studio apartment). Windows up; guys yelling, talking all at once...music up.

I bought one of those party sound makers about three months ago, and after 5 hours of the noise (and moving on 10:30 p.m.) hubby opened the dining room window and let it rip with the horn. Three times. It didn't make a dent.

I have an email into the building manager. (Drew a diagram of where the apartment is). So hopefully they will get a letter and/or I will have to visit the office or call the owner.

Meanwhile, losing beauty sleep...

Anyone have any ideas how to get their attention....the distance is over the court way. Hubby thought of a pea-shooter, sling shot... he used to have a bb gun (I think illegal here) and says he can use his army sharp shooting skills to hit the side of the windows.

Since we don't have the bb gun anymore, any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas how to get their attention....the distance is over the court way. Hubby thought of a pea-shooter, sling shot... he used to have a bb gun (I think illegal here) and says he can use his army sharp shooting skills to hit the side of the windows.

Since we don't have the bb gun anymore, any ideas would be appreciated.
All those items will get you arrested or assaulted, and "getting their attention" could be a recipe for disaster

Reality is, unless they are breaking a noise ordinance or partying late at night, there's little you can do other than keeping your windows shut and using heavy drapes to help block the sound
Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 AM

Years ago, before the universal use of cell phones, there was a Seven -Eleven store with a pay-phone in the parking lot. It became the gathering place for drug dealers & customers, using the phone and making their transactions....The owners were frustrated in their attempts to clear the crowds out until they had the bright idea of blaring classical music out over the PA system. It worked like a charm then.... and I can attest that it still often works when I'm stopped at a lite and my windshield & doors start to vibrate as a ghetto-blaster playing rap music pulls up next to me. ... I open the window and turn up the radio tuned to WFMT. They usually get the message without feeling confronted.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:07 AM

connie first question i have is what country do you live in , you mention b b guns were illegal there
not knowing any one there involved i really cant give advise to your situation up here if a problem comes up we try to fix it before it gets big , first step is what i can do so it doesnt bother me ,then maybe talking to the other party,if that doesnt work then buy a real gun
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 AM

Get out of the city!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
Get out of the city!
X2 on this. However, I've had some neighbors in years past that would shoot their guns at any and all hours of the day or night. They ended up moving away, but for the years that they were there it was agony.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 PM

Bearfootfarm,

The offenders are breaking several things... crowd on the fire well (back stairs) = big ticket. Noise after 8:30 p.m. = big ticket (city ordinance). Screaming, loud music from apartment = lease violation. Add smoking weed, booze...

Hubby did go out on the back porch and ask nicely for them to take it inside... just that they had all their windows open until the wee hours of the morning.

All our windows face the court way.

I used to use music (blast up a radio in the window) as well as hit pans with a wooden spoon (everyone else heard it but the offenders, LOL). Maybe they're too spaced out? LOL
Old 03-21-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
It worked like a charm then.... and I can attest that it still often works when I'm stopped at a lite and my windshield & doors start to vibrate as a ghetto-blaster playing rap music pulls up next to me. ... I open the window and turn up the radio tuned to WFMT. They usually get the message without feeling confronted.
=======
I've done this.....
Only I used some real twangy bluegrass music.... Nothin like a banjo or fiddle really cranked to make even the most hard core "base head" look around to see what the hell is going on....
Great fun...

Keep calling the landlord and 911 if they are violating noise and time limits... Tell the landlord each time you call 911 over this.. Most important... DOCUMENT on your calander days and times of calls to both... If push comes to shove YOU will be the one with documentation to back up the 911 logs, and your calls to management should they try to deny...

Good luck...
Old 03-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Master Pontificator

I had a similar problem with some degenerates where i used to live. 3 bars 2 blocks away had noise so loud i was kept up till 4 am from the sound of the sterio alone. then the drunks would smash bottles in the park, on the sidewalk, piss in the street, there were some drug dealers next door who partied daily as well, and a hooker down the road. I tried asking the drunks to keep it down once (after 5 days without any sleep), long story short i walked home covered in my own blood thanks to broken beer bottles, cops did nothing but arrest the bartender for noise violations once and the drunks relatiated by throwing a brick through my window and threatening or harrassing me till i left town by abandoning the mortgage and going to live in a remote swamp away from people (with a bad case of PTSD).

my advice is to remember they don't care about you or your sleep, they only care about their own fun. the cops won't help you. anything you do like you suggested (pea shooter) will get you on the cops bad side. my advice is to call cops first and be ready for retaliation. but my own experience was far from a good example of what to do.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Setanta,

I've got to get a handle on the situation...the building also can have screamers during the day. We're trying to sell our place...if a potential buyer hears the noise...they'll turn and run, LOL.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The offenders are breaking several things... crowd on the fire well (back stairs) = big ticket. Noise after 8:30 p.m. = big ticket (city ordinance). Screaming, loud music from apartment = lease violation. Add smoking weed, booze...
Then there's no need for you to resort to illegal methods

Just report them as often as needed, and try to get some of your other neighbors to so the same.

Quote:
if that doesnt work then buy a real gun
You don't shoot people over a little noise
Old 03-21-2015, 01:34 PM

Bearfootfarm,

I think the get the gun and shoot 'em was meant a sarcastic suggestion?
Old 03-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Setanta,

I've got to get a handle on the situation...the building also can have screamers during the day. We're trying to sell our place...if a potential buyer hears the noise...they'll turn and run, LOL.

my advice was to avoid direct action yourself, don't confront them yourself, i tried asking lowlifes to stop their s### by asking politly and showed i wasn't afraid to say so to their face, and i ended up being assualted and then the cops decided to arrest me for being covered in my own blood (one cop ticketed me for unsafe stopping when his girlfriend rear ended my car while she was texting), the people you described sound like the same kinds of lowlife i was dealing with.

as several people mentioned your lowlifes are violating several significant ordinences and can be fined and even arrested for what they are doing, however cops generally won't bother with it (if your local cops are as lazy and corrupt as in my old town anyway) unless they have repeated complaints, and even then the lowlifes will game the system, get out of tickets, avoid fines etc (a close friend of mine did time for being a smuggler, he lives right these days but told me all the stuff he used to do before his multi year stay at club fed).

after the early incident the decent people in my old town thanked me for trying to do something even while most were too afraid to do even as much as i did. the city might only have 10,000 people in it but its one of the worst places in the state to live based on crime statistics. within the last year there were over 20 ATF raids within 3 blocks of my old house. local cops looked the other way while the town went to hell. I tried selling but after months of incresing problems i was desperate enough to abandon it. selling is the best option.

anyway don't confront them yourself directly, call the cops, and keep throwing the law at them. if they are renters their landlord may just boot them out because of all the trouble they get into.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Then there's no need for you to resort to illegal methods

Just report them as often as needed, and try to get some of your other neighbors to so the same.

You don't shoot people over a little noise

bearfoot farm, relax dont get all stressed out dude you didnt pay all that much attention to my thread if you did you would have know its just a little satire
Old 03-22-2015, 06:23 PM

m37,

My most used phrase here at home when I get excited is that I'm "gonna kick a**". Hubby just keeps watching the TV like, whatever. (Hey, a girl's got a right to vent?)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM

Setanta,

Your neighbors are like mine. I've been "troubleshooting" here at the building/immediate neighborhood for about 20 years now.

They always are "disturbed" but don't take action. Unless you call action knocking at my door and telling or asking if I've heard anything.

I don't know what they will do when we move.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:42 PM

my nearest neighbor is a little over a mile , and i like it just fine , but sometimes when they vist they stay a little to long tho
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Post a flyer at the Outlaws' club house (vicinity of 26th & Damen) announcing "Big Party"- free beer, Jack & Pizza for all at your adversaries' address on such & such a nite. Then, when they find no party, stand back. Bikers don't take disappointment well.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Sounds like a plan...but have to figure out which apartment number on the bell(s) to press...

This sounds like when folks order a plethora of magazine subscriptions for unsuspecting people, LOL.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:54 AM

Only play is defense. You are not going to win shooting bbs or blowing air horns........ that makes you the *$$hole.

Likewise, you're not going to win calling the police.... The place will just be rented again to someone just like them.

Move out of your bedroom..... tear out the sheetrock and sound insulate. Add double pane windows. Sound insulation is sold at Home Depot or Lowe's. Get a sound reading before your tear out, and after you think you have enough insulation, but before you put up new sheet rock.

Take that time to re-wire, add electrical sockets, add the 5volt sockets, run tv or internet cable etc.

It would add value to the resale of your home.