BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM

I've always maintained that a societal breakdown, even a minor one, is the most likely scenario that may befall us. IMO, those who prep for meteor strikes, or pole shifts, or other 10 million to one odds happenings, are simply kidding themselves. Yes prepping is prepping, but if you're prepping for the end if humanity only to find out the real problem is a localized temporary one, then you're really wasting time and money as far as I'm concerned. Instead of prepping for the end of the world, better to prep for what may likely really happen. This will probably change the direction and amount of materials you may require, and will be a more realistic goal to obtain.

Is there a need to live for months, years, in an underground bombproof bunker? Highly doubtful. Will there possibly be a need to live for 3 to 4 weeks ,or a month without power, running water, food? Very possible. Do you require a way to stave off radiation, or biological weapons, or will the more possible scenario be that you need to stand by a window with a loaded gun, letting would be looters know your house isn't an easy mark? IMO the latter in all these cases is the most likely situation we'll find our selves faced with, so why get ready for Armageddon, when local riots is more likely to be as far as it gets?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:17 PM

To each their own. I'm betting on the mega-asteroid impact.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:02 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Selena,

Early last year (not even official tornado season) we had 45 minutes straight of tornado sirens on to take cover...the tornado (one of 8 in IL) was only 15 minutes from us and snaking towards the lakefront.

I remember the Oak Lawn tornado when I was a kid; no one ever thought we'd get that one, either.

No one expects an earthquake here (or is casual about it) but we're overdue (re the fault line).

I remember tremors here back in the middle '60s (from another state).

Odds are low, but...

Power outages - we've had several severe thunderstorms in my area - power out (a few times for a couple of days). Our block also has a propensity to go out in summer for some reason.

Last edited by connie189; 03-29-2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added
Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 AM

I've always gone with this thought: "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best".
Old 04-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Those are real good numbers for anywhere in the US.
this peaked my interest, looked it up and my county has 30 people per square mile, 25% of the population is in poverty, and the population is dropping by 5% per year
Old 04-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
".....I have some money in a savings account that I will not touch because that is to feed us in case of financial trouble.
Just a small suggestion, have some of that money stashed in a safe place NOT in a bank. Small bills...dollars, fives and tens. Stashing silver or gold is another thread. In the event of a wide area power outage or some other reason (gubmint) that the bank and/or their ATM's may not be available, your money will be inaccessible. And you won't know how long that might be.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
I've always maintained that a societal breakdown, even a minor one, is the most likely scenario that may befall us. IMO, those who prep for meteor strikes, or pole shifts, or other 10 million to one odds happenings, are simply kidding themselves. Yes prepping is prepping, but if you're prepping for the end if humanity only to find out the real problem is a localized temporary one, then you're really wasting time and money as far as I'm concerned. Instead of prepping for the end of the world, better to prep for what may likely really happen. This will probably change the direction and amount of materials you may require, and will be a more realistic goal to obtain.

Is there a need to live for months, years, in an underground bombproof bunker? Highly doubtful. Will there possibly be a need to live for 3 to 4 weeks ,or a month without power, running water, food? Very possible. Do you require a way to stave off radiation, or biological weapons, or will the more possible scenario be that you need to stand by a window with a loaded gun, letting would be looters know your house isn't an easy mark? IMO the latter in all these cases is the most likely situation we'll find our selves faced with, so why get ready for Armageddon, when local riots is more likely to be as far as it gets?
Witness Baltimore now. You're spot on.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
IMO the latter in all these cases is the most likely situation we'll find our selves faced with, so why get ready for Armageddon, when local riots is more likely to be as far as it gets?
I figure if I'm ready for the worst, anything less will be relatively simple.

As you said yourself, prepping is prepping, and with my location riots aren't high on the list

Weather is my biggest threat
Old 04-30-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobesane1 View Post
Just a small suggestion, have some of that money stashed in a safe place NOT in a bank. .
Correct. Bank deposits earn nothing, so no advantage to having it in there. It may be the least safe place to keep your money: in case of long term power outage, it will be unavailable to you (computers down), and, in the bank, it's vulnerable to the biggest crook of all, the govt. A few yrs ago Cyprus solved it's deficit problems by confiscating all bank deposits. It could happen here too. This administration has been plotting to tax previously tax-free retirement accounts. Slippery slope.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Correct. Bank deposits earn nothing, so no advantage to having it in there. It may be the least safe place to keep your money: in case of long term power outage, it will be unavailable to you (computers down), and, in the bank, it's vulnerable to the biggest crook of all, the govt. A few yrs ago Cyprus solved it's deficit problems by confiscating all bank deposits. It could happen here too. This administration has been plotting to tax previously tax-free retirement accounts. Slippery slope.
I did something like that once before, years ago, setting aside money to buy groceries, to do it i bought gift cards for the grocery store in the area ($200 worth) that way i could only use it for groceries. since then the price of food in that store has doubled or trippled in some cases (store brand can of pears was 40 cents then, now the same can is $1.90). would have been better off buying $200 worth of shelf stable groceries, since inflation made the money on the cards less valuable over time. this was durring my brief time living in town.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:29 PM

I think in a general collapse of society, which riots portend, government will eventually have to close banks. And any groceries/supplies not looted would be confiscated and "redistributed" for the common good. So---your short term blip could well usher in an ultra patriot act that may make you wish you had that bunker! That said - most of us have no hope of being truly prepared for such an event.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmaidnc View Post
I think in a general collapse of society, which riots portend, government will eventually have to close banks. And any groceries/supplies not looted would be confiscated and "redistributed" for the common good. So---your short term blip could well usher in an ultra patriot act that may make you wish you had that bunker! That said - most of us have no hope of being truly prepared for such an event.
oldmaidnc, precisely the reason that I moved from the East coast to SD. I grew up in NC around Rocky Mount, Wilson and Chapel Hill. I realized a number of years ago that as much as I loved my Tarheel state, in a SHTF scenario, I'd be trapped there and nowhere along the Eastern Seaboard would be safe.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
oldmaidnc, precisely the reason that I moved from the East coast to SD. I grew up in NC around Rocky Mount, Wilson and Chapel Hill. I realized a number of years ago that as much as I loved my Tarheel state, in a SHTF scenario, I'd be trapped there and nowhere along the Eastern Seaboard would be safe.
I was in the Greenville area. I wasn't able to make the move you did, but I am now in western NC, on the Tenn. border. I feel much better about the conditions here.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Master Pontificator

I was the GM at the Marriott by the Michelin plant for a while. Lived in Simpsonville. LOVED the area. My aunts & uncles still live in Waynesville.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I was the GM at the Marriott by the Michelin plant for a while. Lived in Simpsonville. LOVED the area. My aunts & uncles still live in Waynesville.
I am in the Linville Gorge area. It is beautiful.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:56 PM

Don't know if this fits here - bt is anyone following the mess in Greece? People lined up at the ATM at 2:00 a.m.?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmaidnc View Post
Don't know if this fits here - bt is anyone following the mess in Greece? People lined up at the ATM at 2:00 a.m.?
Great observation.
I try to look at the lessons learned from natural/man made disasters currently occurring.
As OldMaidNC mentions, the Greece meltdown.
The earthquake in Nepal.
Drought ongoing in the South West.
Social unrest in various parts of the country.

The likely hood of a drought occurring where I am is unlikely, we got over a inch of rain since last night. But there are still things I can learn from those situations.

Then, I try to take into account for what will mostly likely occur where I live and plan accordingly.

I think the most important thing is not to panic.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Correct, the most important thing...don't panic! Make your preparations, as best you can, based on your individual circumstances, but be aware of what's going on around you. You may not think things in other parts of the country will affect your little corner of the world, but they will.

Prepare and stay informed!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Prepare and stay informed!
One of the books I read a number of years ago, suggested a Short Wave Radio as being part of the planned inventory, so one could stay informed of global events, rather than get distorted information second hand locally. Global satellites with instant news video footage from around the world has probably made the SWR suggestion less important, but the need to stay informed has not diminished.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
One of the books I read a number of years ago, suggested a Short Wave Radio as being part of the planned inventory, so one could stay informed of global events, rather than get distorted information second hand locally. Global satellites with instant news video footage from around the world has probably made the SWR suggestion less important, but the need to stay informed has not diminished.
i agree.we have a short wave here ,I try to stay away from getting info from fox or cnn tho, but we do stay in touch with people around us. lately I see the need more then ever even up here