BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I don't quite understand all the uproar over Greece as far as the world economy is concerned, when it's population only amounts to that of a couple of our large cities.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Master Pontificator

I don't know what their overall debt is, but 240 Billion Euros in bailout money since 2011 is only part of their debt. Defaulting on a 1.6 Billion Euro payment on their debt while trying to borrow another 30 Billion Euros for a two years extension at the same time does not paint a pretty economic picture, but in comparison to this countries debt, it isn't even pocket change.

The whole world is practically swimming in debt, with a few exceptions. Greece could be the weak link in the chain that pulls everyone else into the whirling economic whirlpool and down the drain to financial ruin.

It probably won't go that far, but I sure would hate to see a second country follow Greece in defaulting on their debt.

What bothers me much worse than Greece is our own worthless money. It is being exchanged on good faith alone, with virtually nothing to back it up. And with leaders in Washington who believe printing paper dollars creates money, the American economy is also a lost cause.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
I don't quite understand all the uproar over Greece as far as the world economy is concerned, when it's population only amounts to that of a couple of our large cities.
It's the example it poses. Puerto Rico is right on their tails and Illinois isn't far behind. Takers are breaking the makers.

Actually, the situation in Greece is special: their economy amounts to no more than a pimple on the behind of the German economy and their exit from the Eurozone won't be missed by the rest of the zone. But in leaving, Greece will re-issue the drachma, which will have low value, so Greece will become a very desirable vacation destination again and their economy, based almost solely on tourism, will grow. Now they just have to push their retirement age up from 55 as it stands now.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:35 AM

In addition, the reaction of the Greeks who are not used to having cash on hand - and thus line up daily at the ATM. Most of them also don't keep more than a couple of days of food on hand... so they go back to the ATM - a vicious cycle.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:34 AM
Master Pontificator

I think no matter the situation, ....if it is really bad,....then the results are the same. I am reading this great e book, in fact it is the best I have read as it is a true story as it happened. Tells the part about survival, the denial, the wake up....what happens, what does not happen and why do they leave. What do people really do in disaster without all the fictional crap? It tell it ...like it is. It is making me really think hard about things in this area. People had no food, because they did not think it was going to happen. People had no resources because they did not understand the depth of what a megan storm was. I think a person has to list the most possible events....and then somewhat prepare....after awhile the list is the same no matter what the situation is...water, shelter, food, medicine and money and weapons to protect yourself. Great e book if your interested .... about disaster and survival worth reading.... Typhoon Haiyan The Untold Story. The E book is also winning awards and rated five store for excellence.... I highly recommend it to anyone who preps for anything.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:18 PM

For me it is not about the particular scenario, it is about preparing your life to be sustainable in all of them. There are many possible scenarios that can disrupt food supplies so by at least raising part of your food you are preparing for several possibilities. There are also several scenarios that disrupt the grid or other utilities so using a well or using alternative heat sources prepares you for these. Pretty soon you are able to supply your own needs no matter the situation. Then you get into protecting the resources you have amassed from those that don't have and are willing to take yours.