BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 PM

Default Mini-bike or mo-ped as a bug out vehicle......

I thought of this after my kid started bugging me about getting his old POS mini-bike running again. He and his brother tore the thing apart last fall and trashed the anemic Chinese engine it had on it, and installed the 6 hp Tecumseh from their old go-cart. The mini-bike is now getting up to about 35 mph with the current gear ratio(as opposed to 20 mph with the old 2.7 hp motor it came with). It got me thinking about how in a SHTF scenario, where you'd want to be discreet, getting out of dodge at 35 mph and being able to weave around stalled traffic or down two track woods trails etc, would be a hell of a lot better than say taking a bicycle or walking. Assuming you're alone and are not going to be using a car or motorcycle, I think a cheap mini-bike might be a viable way to get a few miles down the road in a reasonable amount of time. Another good thing about them is they are quiet and don't use a lot of fuel. Plus no batteries to fart with or change out when they die. Just armstrong it and roll.

A normal mini-bike of about 5 hp can easily handle a grown adult. And maybe if you are wearing a light bug out bag of just essential gear, I'd think you could probably get at least 15-20 miles away(maybe more) before requiring more fuel. That might mean in a half hour's time you're a decent distance away from trouble, versus maybe 3 miles if on foot, or 6 or 8 miles if on a bicycle. I know my kid's run their mini-bike seemingly all day on a half gallon of fuel. Take a 1 gallon can of fuel with you and now you've got enough gas to get a good ways out of town. A good point of a mini-bike is it can be hidden easily in brush, or can be carried up a flight of stairs to a locked second floor room in an abandoned building at night, or if you stop to rest just hide it in some weeds. Try that with a 700lb Harley.

If it ever happened and I needed to get away, I'd not mind a bit if all I had was an old mini-bike or mo-ped. Better than two feet and a thumb.

Last edited by Nickathome; 03-29-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Keep in mind that the noise will give them away, but still quieter than many vehicles.

A small bike can get through a traffic jamb , and on narrow trails.
That and it can be lifted over many fences or pushed up hills to steep to climb.

The following are for off road use only.
http://www.gasbike.net/
Old 03-30-2015, 12:27 AM

Would work. This one is designed for off road use. Both wheels are drive wheels plus they have accessories, trailer, generator, side car, water pump (power take off).

http://www.rokon.com/
Old 03-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Master Pontificator

personally i would rather take a regular bike, its lighter and doeasn't need fuel, with my bike/baskets/and a good size pack i could cover about 15 miles in an hour and haul 50 LBs of gear and supplies. still light enough to portage the bike over trails and bypass obsticals, a small kits can repair most anything that could go wrong with a bike. add my bike trailer and i could carry 100 to 150 LBs of gear at about 11 miles an hour. in a single day i could use it to get deep into the mountains and have enough tools to build a cabin and basic stuff in a week, set up trap lines, fish traps, forage etc and cut a good stack of frewood (i use a hand saw to cut firewood under normal conditions already, i can cut 4 cords in a day with it).

the limited options on field repair, need for fuel, and weight (not as easy to pick it up and carry) make me tink its probably not as good as a regular bike in a bug out scenario. the little extra speed and no peddling would not offset the drawbacks.

an ATV would be more practical, having more off road ability would offset the weight, a full gas tank will go more than 100 miles (i used a Suzuki Vinson LT400 to communte to work back in 2013, got 150 miles out of a full tank) with an ATV i could carry a small trailer, making it possible to carry up to 500 LBs of gear over 100 miles in about 3 hours. an ATV can also be used to skid logs, work a plow, a harrows, use a car trailer as a hay wagon, etc, while a mini bike is pure transportation.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
personally i would rather take a regular bike, its lighter and doeasn't need fuel, with my bike/baskets/and a good size pack i could cover about 15 miles in an hour and haul 50 LBs of gear and supplies. still light enough to portage the bike over trails and bypass obsticals, a small kits can repair most anything that could go wrong with a bike. add my bike trailer and i could carry 100 to 150 LBs of gear at about 11 miles an hour. in a single day i could use it to get deep into the mountains and have enough tools to build a cabin and basic stuff in a week, set up trap lines, fish traps, forage etc and cut a good stack of frewood (i use a hand saw to cut firewood under normal conditions already, i can cut 4 cords in a day with it).

the limited options on field repair, need for fuel, and weight (not as easy to pick it up and carry) make me tink its probably not as good as a regular bike in a bug out scenario. the little extra speed and no peddling would not offset the drawbacks.

an ATV would be more practical, having more off road ability would offset the weight, a full gas tank will go more than 100 miles (i used a Suzuki Vinson LT400 to communte to work back in 2013, got 150 miles out of a full tank) with an ATV i could carry a small trailer, making it possible to carry up to 500 LBs of gear over 100 miles in about 3 hours. an ATV can also be used to skid logs, work a plow, a harrows, use a car trailer as a hay wagon, etc, while a mini bike is pure transportation.

I've hauled gear(22 lb treestand, 20 lbs in mydaypack, plus the weight of the trailer approx. 30 lbs), down the logging trail into the deer woods using my homemade deer hauler. At the first incline I was off the bike and pushing the lot up the hill. I was practically exhausted by the time I got to my spot, which was only 4 miles away. I seriously doubt you'd be able to haul 150 lbs of gear and expect to get very far, unless you were on mostly flat ground. In hilly areas, no way.

Now a quad is a different story and I'd agree with their usefulness, although they are quite a bit noisier than a mini-bike.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Would work. This one is designed for off road use. Both wheels are drive wheels plus they have accessories, trailer, generator, side car, water pump (power take off).

http://www.rokon.com/
I've seen videos of the rokon. A very cool vehicle indeed ,and much more useful than a mini-bike although some of the older models had a top speed of only about 20 mph. The newer ones I have been told can get up to about 35.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 AM

Mini-bike...... My first thought was an assault Cushman..... Bwahahahaa

Yes at this age, I suspect a side by side 2 seat 4x4 UTV would be the most ideal... Carry a good amount of gear, good miles per gallon, better ride for an old guy... ATV would be second choice... Not quite as good a ride, less gear capability, etc... Trail bike 3rd choice... Most likely a 250cc because I'm 6' and about 280..... Good millage, but what you could carry on your back.. But then better than walking...

I did ware out a couple old 360cc Yamahas.. But at a lot younger age...

Anybody else remember the old 2 speed Cushman ??

(oh God.... I just thought... assault wheelbarrow... )
sputter, snort, chuckle, Bwahahahaha....
Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
I've hauled gear(22 lb treestand, 20 lbs in mydaypack, plus the weight of the trailer approx. 30 lbs), down the logging trail into the deer woods using my homemade deer hauler. At the first incline I was off the bike and pushing the lot up the hill. I was practically exhausted by the time I got to my spot, which was only 4 miles away. I seriously doubt you'd be able to haul 150 lbs of gear and expect to get very far, unless you were on mostly flat ground. In hilly areas, no way.

Now a quad is a different story and I'd agree with their usefulness, although they are quite a bit noisier than a mini-bike.
I know i can do it because i do it all the time. last spring i rode out 35 miles to buy a used lawn mower and hauled it home on a bike trailer, stopped in town on the way back and loaded up more supplies till i was broke. in the last 6 years i have owned a motor vehical for less than 6 months. most of the time my only way to get to town for supplies is my bike. however i am the exception because i am doing that all the time. i have commuted to work on logging sites with 2 chainsaws, an ax, gas oil, etc in that trailer, hauled bushels of fresh produce to sell at the park in town, etc

the ATV i had in 2013 was the result of saving money for 6 months, i couldn't afford a reliable truck or car so bought a used ATV in June 2013, used it to commute to work a few months then traded it to a guy for a used Chevy truck, which lasted from early September to late October 2013 then it died, i only just bought another truck 3 weeks ago by trading 20 cords of firewood to a neighbor for it. the entire year and a half between i relied on walking and biking. I bike commute to do logging and other work, save up, spend everything on the best truck i can afford, then when it dies i start all over.

I mostly travel in the Northern Adirondacks of NY, the region between Plattsburg and Malone and as far south as Tupper Lake. not big mountains like the high peaks but not flat land either.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:09 PM

Nickathome,

How loud is it?

(I can hear a cricket crawl at night). Would a loud vehicle be a liability?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Mini-bike...... My first thought was an assault Cushman..... Bwahahahaa

Yes at this age, I suspect a side by side 2 seat 4x4 UTV would be the most ideal... Carry a good amount of gear, good miles per gallon, better ride for an old guy... ATV would be second choice... Not quite as good a ride, less gear capability, etc... Trail bike 3rd choice... Most likely a 250cc because I'm 6' and about 280..... Good millage, but what you could carry on your back.. But then better than walking...

I did ware out a couple old 360cc Yamahas.. But at a lot younger age...

Anybody else remember the old 2 speed Cushman ??

(oh God.... I just thought... assault wheelbarrow... )
sputter, snort, chuckle, Bwahahahaha....
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...YQsAQ&tbm=isch

I had a Cushman "Husky" when I was about 14-15, 3hp no gear box. Close friend had a 4hp Cushman with the two speed hear box. I could windout at about 45 mph and out run him, however I had to push up some of the steeper hills if I couldn't get a good run at them. Towed him home many times because the gear box would twist and the drive chain would come off.
Another friend had a Cushman "Eagle". Six or seven hp with 2 speed gear box and xenter fuel tank like a motorcycle. It would top out at about 65 mph.
We could ride these with a learner's permit at 14.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:35 PM

Back in the late 50s early 60 my Uncles brother was a bush pilot.
He would fly into remote places and then get his Tote Goat out and take off.
It had a 1 gallon tank and he carried a spare 1 gallon can of gas so he had enough to get back to his plane.
It wasn't fast but it got him places no one else could get to without a lot of walking.
Sadly he was killed in a plane crash in his own back yard.
My Uncle watched it happen.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
my Uncles brother was a bush pilot.
Wouldn't that make him your other Uncle?

Saw a guy at work riding his mo-ped to work, he had to use his feet to get going from stop sign.

Boy I wish I still had my Honda Trail 90.

If you want a silent atv, they make electric ones.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post

No.
He was my Dad's sister's husband's brother.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM

I gotta agree with Setanta. A motorized bike has no advantage over a bicycle except that it saves your own energy. But in a real bug out situation, it would be a "use it once & throw it away" item if refueling were not going to be possible.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Boy I wish I still had my Honda Trail 90.
Those things were the closest anyone has ever gotten to creating an indestructible vehicle. Amazing machine.

Re: Bug out bike - if I were considering a 2 wheeled option (which is already a problem if this means that I'm bugging out alone) I would be inclined toward a real motorcycle - one of those off road / on road sport-touring bikes. It will have better range, better carrying capacity and will cover more kinds of terrain than would a mini-bike or mo-ped.

I would ride it often, to make sure it stays mechanically reliable and so that I would have reasonable skill in maneuvering it etc.

If I make pretty good time, it shouldn't take me more than half an hour to get to the thug with the baseball bat who will take me off the bike.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Back in the late 50s early 60 my Uncles brother was a bush pilot.
He would fly into remote places and then get his Tote Goat out and take off.
It had a 1 gallon tank and he carried a spare 1 gallon can of gas so he had enough to get back to his plane.
It wasn't fast but it got him places no one else could get to without a lot of walking.
Sadly he was killed in a plane crash in his own back yard.
My Uncle watched it happen.
The Tote Gote is an off-road motorcycle that was produced from 1958 to 1970. It was developed by Ralph Bonham, who is credited with inventing the off-road motorcycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tote_Gote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
No.
He was my Dad's sister's husband's brother.
Oh, your aunt's brother in-law.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
Those things were the closest anyone has ever gotten to creating an indestructible vehicle.
I had a chance to buy a nice used trail 110 for $300. Told the guy I'd buy it if he could start it. He couldn't and I didn't buy it.
Didn't know a trashed one would sell for $1000 just for parts.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I had a chance to buy a nice used trail 110 for $300. Told the guy I'd buy it if he could start it. He couldn't and I didn't buy it.
Didn't know a trashed one would sell for $1000 just for parts.
They want almost $300 just for a frame.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tote-Gote-Fr...7371cf&vxp=mtr
Old 04-02-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:

If you want a silent atv, they make electric ones.

How you gonna recharge it if the SHTF and the grid is down?