BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Internet Rip-Off

Hi All,

Just wondering what your internet connection bills average.

We just got a notice from AT&T that our internet service (as we know it)
will be disconnected in 15 days.

So that means (since there really is only AT&T that our price (in our area) for a "one year special" will be $34.00; that in one year ramps up to $59.

Oh, if we act now, we get a free machine; HOWEVER, in one year (of course) they start to charge for the use (got to get you some how) of $7.95/month.

A friend of mine in Princeton used to pay way less at all times than what we paid here for same services/company. But she lived semi-rural.

Just wondering if your prices are as RIDICULOUS as ours....

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM

That is worse than what I was paying. ( $4.95 "rental" fee for modem)
About $19.95 a month, then I requested an upgrade to $27.99
The last I was with them it upped to about $45

Now I am with cable. Similar troubles. I bought my own modem so that is out!
The prices still going up... I have a faster connection but the cost is still higher than many other places.
I am in town, so I have choices. Cable, DSL, Dial-up ....maybe wireless, but I haven't looked into that.

I did the speed test ( http://www.speedtest.net/ ) again just to see what it was this time.
16 Mbps Down and 1 Mbps up. I am guaranteed at least 15 down.

Last edited by DavidOH; 04-09-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 AM

We pay $100 a month for internet, tv (100 + channels), and phone service. The phone is awful though, so we use cell phones, and just keep it hooked up to the fax machine. This May the bill goes up another ten dollars though.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Master Pontificator

only 3 providers can reach my place,

Verizon which charges $100 for 10 gigs data plus $400 for equipment (and they ripped me off years ago so i won't do business with them again, ever)

Hughs Net which i hear nothing good about, its basically dial up speed for $200 a month anywhere via sattelite (it was frequently used in the area so lots of people have experience with them and advise against it)

and a local company that uses new line of sight radio towers to provide 150 MB connections for $30 a month (the more you pay the better your speeds) they are very popular and offer great service, unfortunatly there is an obstical between me and their closest tower so they were unable to set up the connection.

so i use free wifi with an old laptop at a truckstop that uses the same line of sight company for ISP, buy a diet soda and a donut and sit in the back using their power to charge the battery and their internet.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
only 3 providers can reach my place,

Verizon which charges $100 for 10 gigs data plus $400 for equipment (and they ripped me off years ago so i won't do business with them again, ever)

Hughs Net which i hear nothing good about, its basically dial up speed for $200 a month anywhere via sattelite (it was frequently used in the area so lots of people have experience with them and advise against it)

and a local company that uses new line of sight radio towers to provide 150 MB connections for $30 a month (the more you pay the better your speeds) they are very popular and offer great service, unfortunatly there is an obstical between me and their closest tower so they were unable to set up the connection.

so i use free wifi with an old laptop at a truckstop that uses the same line of sight company for ISP, buy a diet soda and a donut and sit in the back using their power to charge the battery and their internet.
there are other ISPs in the area like time warner (crooks) but my place isn't close enough to the lines to hook up (would need to run at least 3 new poles and wires to reach, and a lot of roads around here still don't have power lines, let alone cable and phone, with the new line of sight technology companies like time warner just stopped installing new lines except where cost effective)
Old 04-08-2015, 11:31 AM

My internet comes through my phone lines. Currently I am at 5 mbps, my landline and internet together is $90 a month, $45 of which is the internet. I could have 10 mbps for $57 a month. My son who has no landline pays $80 a month for the 10 mbps. So as you can see the bundled package gets you a better deal. Also this is for unlimited use.

The unlimited use has given me an opportunity to save money. For my TV I had Dish and was paying $100 a month for 290 channels, most of which I never watched. In Feb I started with Sling TV, TV that I get over the internet. My basic package has ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, TNT, TBS, HGTV, History, H2, A&E, Disney, IFC, CNN, and a few others. I pay $20 a month for this. So I was able to cancel my Dish account and now save $80 a month.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:35 PM

I have 2 choices at home.
DSL at 4meg or dial up.
My DSL is $45 a month I think.

I talked with a cable guy and asked him about ever getting service.
He works for the cable company and he is a half mile from the box and cannot get service so I know I'm out of luck

Last edited by backlash; 04-08-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:26 PM

I only have one choice here (well 2 if you count Hughes Satellite) and feel very lucky to have the cable intenet. I live 9 miles from the closest one horse town that the cable company services. Back some years ago when Adelphia Communications was a huge and growing cable company, the owner, who lived in the next 1 horse town over, saw it fit to be sure all his "neighbors" had cable. As far as I know there are 17 customers on that 9 mile run - hardly worthy of the cost of installing the line.

In fact when I first ordered the service after the line was installed, the operations center insisted that I couldn't get service where I lived. I had to actually take a photo of the box on top of the electric pole in my yard where their cable ended to prove that the cable was on my property.

Since then Adelphia went under and the owner went to jail - long story. But one of his sons picked up all the local system with a new renamed company. Service has been great - I get 11mps down and 3mps up for $45 per month. I gladly pay that each month since my only other option would be Hughes Satellite.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 PM

As far as I'm concerned that's a good up speed. Mu down speed may be 5 mbps, but my up speed is .65 mbps.

Needless to say if you want to upload a video to the internet, you better do it overnight while you sleep.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 PM

Default It's ok

ATT here DSL not as fast as the fiber we had south of where were at now. We use a roku 2 and stream then snot out of our plan! Thing phone and internet are $70.00 ish. It was less but went up in june.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Master Pontificator

I pay $110 a month to the phone company for unlimited local and long distance plus our internet. It's faster than dial up but not as fast as we would like. Unfortunately, in our area, this is all we can get.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 PM

$44.99 a month for Century Link formerly Embarq.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Master Pontificator

In my area there us only one carrier for unlimited internet Frontier Communications. We are just outside their DSL range but they gave it to us anyway. It is slow and as more homes become connected it becomes even more slower. We are next to last on the line. We pay 49.99 per month for internet only. I wish we had better options.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post

I realize I'm kind of late to the party here, but I'd suggest calling AT&T direct to verify that. They've been having a problem with scammers and 3rd-party venders pretending to be AT&T workers, and making bogus threats about disconnections or absurd charges in order to con people into signing contracts with them.

I'm a QA at one of the AT&T call centers, and I have to listen to calls from customers who have been threatened like that. Only once was the agent able to get enough info to track down and nail the bastard. Most of the time the scammers disapear, leaving a mess to deal with.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:30 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Hi All,

Just wondering what your internet connection bills average.

So that means (since there really is only AT&T that our price (in our area) for a "one year special" will be $34.00; that in one year ramps up to $59.

Oh, if we act now, we get a free machine; HOWEVER, in one year (of course) they start to charge for the use (got to get you some how) of $7.95/month.

A friend of mine in Princeton used to pay way less at all times than what we paid here for same services/company. But she lived semi-rural.

Just wondering if your prices are as RIDICULOUS as ours....

Thanks!
We have Dish Network Internet now and pay $59.95 per month plus $10.00 for the modem and that is NOT unlimited. We have 10 gigabytes per month and have "free" Internet from 2 a.m. to 8 a.m.

Before that we had Verizon for $69.95 per month, which was NOT unlimited and was 10 gigs. We paid an extra $10 for every gig we went over.