BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Big Lizard....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-foot...180700956.html
===
No.... I'm not talking about some guy who hangs out at the bowling alley lounge.....

Another problem for Florida... As if the unnatural snakes, and such aren't enough problem...

What the hell is wrong with people thinking they are cool because they have an exotic pet ?? Many times a pet they can't handle..

Experiences, facts, details ??
Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Master Pontificator

I am not one for increasing regulation, or creating new regulations were they did not previously exist, but when people don't do right, that is usually the end results.

But because of all the recent publicity about these undesirables in the wild and their damage to the local species, something has to be undertaken to stop people just turning their no longer wanted exotic pets loose.

These non-venomous species are bad enough, but fairly recently there was a story about an albino Cobra being on the lam in Southern California, if I remember correctly. [It was eventually caught, thankfully.] But turning the venomous ones loose is immoral and should be illegal as well.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:21 AM

Aw, it's cute!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Master Pontificator

Just imagine the hair ball it would have. LOL
Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 PM

I wonder what retirees in Florida are going to do about all the lizards crawling around and attacking...?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
I wonder what retirees in Florida are going to do about all the lizards crawling around and attacking...?
==
Actually... Not funny... I've only been to FL to go to Disney... But they tell you... Don't go off the mowed part of the golf course, or too close to the un mowed part without looking around... If you have a spot in your yard where rain water runs... eventually there will be a gator in it.. Don't stop along side the road ditch to change a tire... Drive on the flat to an open place..

Now the first cousin to this Nile lizard is the Monitor lizard... The Monitor lizard is a big, mean, viscous, fast, opportunistic SOB.... And will actively seek out and consider humans a food source... At least from all I've seen on Animal Planet... These animals being close cousins, I have to believe the family traits carry over... It's like how alligators and crocodiles are related... When one is clamped down on your fanny, it don't matter much which one it is at that moment...

Too bad this kind of unnatural predator is loose there... Grandma on here walker, and little Fluffy better be careful...

Take care...
Old 04-11-2015, 11:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
==
Actually... Not funny...

Too bad this kind of unnatural predator is loose there... Grandma on here walker, and little Fluffy better be careful...
It's not one bit funny. It is a very serious problem.

What is Florida's problem today will eventually become neighboring states problems too, since these creatures are not restricted or confined in any way remain in the state of Florida only.

Left unchecked these pests will eventually make the feral hog problem of today look very mild indeed. At least many hunters enjoy hunting and eating the feral hogs. A few people might enjoy eating some of these reptiles, but I strongly suspect many fewer than those who enjoy the porkers. Probably fewer people would be inclined to hunt these creatures, unless by necessity to eliminate a nuisance population already infesting their homestead.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:14 AM

So...do they have a natural predator, besides us that will help "balance" the problem?

Seems like it's been going on a while - at least with the gators...
Old 04-12-2015, 02:57 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
So...do they have a natural predator, besides us that will help "balance" the problem?

Seems like it's been going on a while - at least with the gators...
I am no authority, by any means, but according to the articles I have read, they have no natural predators, outside of humans. Yes it has been going on for a while, for their numbers to reach nuisance levels.

To my knowledge we do not have any of the constrictors and lizards Florida has, but we have plenty of gators & rats, muskrats that is and they both come with their own problems too, just like the wolves up North and out West. And we are very saturated with coyotes also.

The muskrats populations grew so large that their burrowing under bridges along water ways in South Louisiana became so notorious and a foundation hazard, that many of the larger cities had police cruising the water ways in boats to strictly kill off or eliminate the muskrats. A few of the sheriffs departments also worked with the city police departments on this problem, either to help relieve this drain on the cities work force or strictly as a Public Relations, I'm not completely sure. Take you pick on the latter. Since sheriffs have to run for reelection ever four years, they do like to project a very favorable image. But the muskrat problem was very real, and with another peak in their population, the problem will likely return.

There is a lot of controversy over how the wild muskrat population came to exist here, but they are here so their past history is a moot point now. But just like the constrictors, lizards, gators, wolves & coyotes no matter how hard they are pursued with eradication in mind we will probably never find the very last mating pair of any within the preceding group. So now they are just a new nuisance we have to deal with and another cost for our tax dollars either directly or indirectly they will all cost us one way or another in the end.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:50 PM

I guess the coyotes, wolves, muskrats, et. al think the same thing about us.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I guess the coyotes, wolves, muskrats, et. al think the same thing about us.
===
Maybe you.... But when a predator that is thinking about doing damage to me or mine looks at me... I want them to think too tough, bitter, sour, mean, painful to mess with....

Like said... Not restricted to FL at all... all the Gulf coast is potential habitat for these invaders... And to think about it, this includes the South America Gulf coast also..

LOTS of consequences involved here...
Old 04-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Well, can't say we have the same sort of "animal" problem in my neck of the woods... We do have human predators that we have to stay on top of (every day).

So probably don't fully appreciate the seriousness of the gators, lizards, et. al.

Except everyone has to live somewhere... I always hope we don't have to eradicate each other in the process.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM

We do have human predators that we have to stay on top of (every day).
>>Yes.... Been there, done that... MUCH rather deal with non human predators than human... But do so with much of the same attitude, resolve, and finality as I did with the 2 leg varieties... Enough about that..
===
So probably don't fully appreciate the seriousness of the gators, lizards, et. al.
>> Sadly... Too many peoples only exposure to wildlife predators is Disney or animal channel...... Interesting, but that usually isn't anywhere near how these animals make a real living... When they do practice there living skills around humans... That is where the problem comes...

Then add unnatural species to the habitat and everyone is bound to have real trouble...

Good luck..
Old 04-12-2015, 07:52 PM

We don't have cable, so not even getting Animal Channel, LOL.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Well, can't say we have the same sort of "animal" problem in my neck of the woods... We do have human predators that we have to stay on top of (every day).

Except everyone has to live somewhere... I always hope we don't have to eradicate each other in the process.
The human predators are at the top of the food chain, in the predatory world, and at the bottom of all humanity. Yes they need to be eliminated too, but unfortunately that is a much more difficult undertaking.

Unfortunately murder is just about the only crime left which results in a death sentence anymore and probably eight out of ten criminals convicted of murder will die in prison of old age, rather than being executed.

One need look no further than Charles Manson.

A cousin who grew up in the Beaumont, TX area and I were discussing family genealogy back a few years now, and he made the comment: "I just don't understand why our ancestors decided to settle in the worst mosquito, snake and gator infested swamps in the country."

Sometimes our perspectives are shaded by the predators which inhabit the areas where we live. But back to my original statement, ALL predators cost us one way or another, either directly or indirectly.

Don't ever doubt that cattle and sheep lost to predators does not add to the cost of meat at the retail level. Prisons and all their associated cost for maintaining criminals cost us enormously. And I could add many more examples, but the thread is drifting a little, so I will end the examples there.

The sad part about the constrictors and lizards in Florida and muskrats here is the problem should never have existed. The owners of these exotic animals (pets) they turned loose, for whatever reason(s) are worse than the dog or cat owner who abandoned their pets, because their pets were never a part of the natural landscape and now they are a menace to the ecological system and society. Rarely will stray dogs or cats injure the eco-system.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 AM

Jjr,

You have some thought-provoking stuff here...

I appreciate you sharing with me.

The people dumping off the exotic animals in the wild are probably related to the people leaving their dogs tied up outside the animal shelter where I volunteered.

Just can't take a few more steps to do things the right way.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:42 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Jjr,

You have some thought-provoking stuff here...

I appreciate you sharing with me.
Thanks!

But so does a lot of other folks here, too.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 PM

I had a Nile Monitor in my yard a few years back. I must say I have never seen an animal move that fast. The back yard is 200' wide and he crossed it in 2 seconds. There is no way a cat or dog could out run this thing. He was about 6' long. He show up in the evening on the edge of the woods and stop in the middle of the yard, very still. It would be no use getting my gun as he would be gone as soon as I turned around. If I just happened to have my gun while setting on the back porch that would be another thing. I could always tell if he was in the yard as the wife would scream and I would come running.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Having lived in Florida for almost 60 years, I keep a handgun on me whenever I'm outside the house.
Most times there's a shotgun handy too, because as offtheradar says, there is never enough time to run back into the house.
Plus there's an old 12 ga in the barn as well.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 04-16-2015, 08:14 PM

offtheradar,

Why is it us ladies get the strange stuff while we're alone in our back yards?