BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default "new" Aquisition

I just purchased a Case IH 885 with 2700 hrs on it, loader & 72" Brush Hog. The clutch seems strong, the rubber decent and it doesn't leak any more then my old Harley does. With 80 HP, it's more than enough for the little bit of excavating I need to do and that Brush Hog is just the thing I need to stay ahead of the Cinquefoil Wild Rose that's threatening to take over the pasture. I'm pleased with the deal. Now I just need to find a big enough trailer to get it home 60 mi to service it and then 220 mi. up to the property in WI.

Anybody familiar with this model? Know any idiosyncratic problems with it?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:17 AM

I just looked that tractor up on Google Images - that's quite a machine!

Did you get a 2WD or 4WD? With a cab?

Sounds like you gave it a good going over. Hope you will post pics when you get it home.

Have you considered hiring a roll-back truck to haul it for you? That's a heavy tractor - looks like it weighs anywhere between 6065-7849 pounds without the loader and cutter.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 AM

My buddy who owes me a favor has a buddy who owes him a favor and he hauls heavy equipment, so we'll pick it up Thurs.

Actually, there's some confusion as to the actual model. This one is smaller than the Case IH 885 in the pictures, and the owner claims it is an '83-- but Case didn't merge with IH until '85. I was so busy checking the machinery out, I didn't even look at the name plate. I bet it's really an earlier IH 885.

No cab, but I won't be out plowing or harvesting for long hours on it, so no big deal. My only regret is that it's English, so it has Lucas electricals. You know the old saying: The Brits drink warm beer because they all have Lucas refrigerators.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:10 AM

"The Brits drink warm beer because they all have Lucas refrigerators. "

That's why they invented Newcastle Brown Ales...taste great cold or warm. Enjoying a cold one right now. Good luck with the new acquisition... that is a working fool. Just like the old Harley though. If it ain't leaking oil don't use it cause the crankcase is empty. The Lucas electrics though...
Old 04-15-2015, 11:42 AM

OK - I was just trying to get an idea of the size of the tractor with an image search. Hope you will share some pics when you get it home.

I wouldn't want a cab on my tractor for what I do either. I am on and off it many times with what I do around here. Even in the winter with snow removal I sometimes think it would be nice (heat!) but then I would be missing out on how the weather really feels.

So I am assuming that this is for a homestead that you are moving to in the near future?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM

Congrats on your new toy/tools......

Looking on this site there are 3 model 885s...
http://www.tractordata.com/
Looking forward to pictures of your stuff...

A neighbor at the old farm place has one similar to what you are talking about.... It has an either assist for cold starting... This feature doesn't work, so be sure you have a block heater (preferred), or tank heater to aid with WI winters...

Get a new grease gun.. Pickup load of disposable grease rags...
Now the implement addiction can begin...
Enjoy...
Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 PM

I think this is it: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...ester-885.html

The guy who was supposed to lug it home has now backed out, but will lend me his trailer. My vehicle is a '98 Tahoe with tow bar rated to 5 tons with a load-leveler. That'll be pushing the limit. What is life without adventure?
Old 04-16-2015, 03:26 AM

Looks like a beast. Good luck with the haul!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 PM

This started out as a real clusterf___. Finally got the trailer only to find out that not only was it wired wrong (electric brakes wired to turn signal), but it didn't have a license plate. So much for that....I finally broke down and called a car towing company... the guy said he would do it for $150 !!! You mean I've been losing sleep and getting ulcers over this for a week over a lousy 150 bucks? I must've spent that much already on all the phone calls back & forth to arrange the trailer.... We go get it Monday.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 PM

That's why I suggested hiring a roll back earlier. A lot of times you can get a decent deal from them on a distance run like that.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM

Update for anyone interested:

Figured out the problem with the trailer wiring: tow vehicle & trailer were wired correctly, but the pig-tail adapter I had bought at Autozone (made in @#$%* China) was wired wrong. Blue brake wire went to standard turn signal post instead of center post.

The confusion over the model of the tractor is now resolved. It turns out David Brown was building tractors in Britain in the early 70s, then allied with (?bought) Case ~1975 This was apparently one of the first built with "Case" painted on the engine cowl, but VIN tag still calling it a "David Brown." Instruments say David Brown. Around 1985, Case teamed up with IH, hence the "Case-IH."

These earlier Cases, while producing 80HP, were smaller vehicles than the newer Case IHs, weighing in ~4300lb, not 7000+ like later models.

Got a lot of the caked on grease & dirt cleaned off this 38 y/o buggy used regularly for making hay. Valve lash was way off- reset them and changed air filters/oil bath filter. Still gotta drain the cruddy fuel tank and clean it out, then change fluids & filters and I should be all set.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Sounds great!

Now for a couple pics to share....??