BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:48 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Reusables vs. disposables

In the July/August 2014 issue is an article by Patricia Lewis about this. How many of you are doing away with disposables and using reusable
S more? I'm not using paper towels as much.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Master Pontificator

I use a little of both, more than whether or not its reusable, i ask if something is dependable and if reusing is worth the effort (then i am also someone who fishes planting trays and broken tools out of the trash). i also consider the disposal options. i only take my trash out once every 2 years and it costs me about $20 to do it (minimal scale fee at the transfer station). reusable stuff means less stuff fills my trash box (plywood raccoon proof trash bin).

i also hand wash the laundry so i find its sometimes more practical to use more paper towels than it is to deal with trying in vain to clean wash cloths, depending on the mess. i buy plain and unscented towels then throw them in the composter.

I save larger tin cans and use them for cooking stuff that will require a lot of cleaning, then i can just let the rain rinse them off and take them to be recycled (so i don't need to wash the dishes).

year i guess i don't use disposables much
Old 04-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Master Pontificator

We use both. Pros & cons a plenty for each, depending on which side one wishes to advance. We are fairly neutral in the controversy ourselves, preferring to use whichever is the most economical for our purpose.

Paper towels, dishes & utensils are pretty regularly used here. They are cheaper to use than the combined cost of electricity, water, soap & the depreciation for use of the dishwasher, plus the savings in time by using the single service articles. But we have been known to wash the plastic disposables and reuse them too!

On the other hand, being fairly frugal & resourceful, we reuse (or recycle) a lot of articles that were designed for a single purpose. One example, the 24 oz (1 lb 8 oz) square plastic containers with large mouths are great for reuse. The containers are fairly rigid and being square they store & stack very nicely. Being clear no label is required, which all combined makes them a particular favorite, among numerous others.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I would say I use both... I use paper towels to cover things in the microwave... I mostly use old hand towels to clean with.. With enough iron in my water to build a battle ship, I wash everything until it falls apart, can't get the chunky stuff out.. Turns rusty car orange... Then recycle into disposable grease rags for the tractor... And replace with towels from garage sales and thrift stores...

Do not expect to find a cutesy, nice fashionable, matching set of towels hanging in the bath room for guests to look at... Ain't gona happen in this house...

"Tango Papa" (toilet paper) is a no brain er.. I buy the stuff on sale.. Only use 3, maybe 4 boxes of facial tissues a year.. And only 1 big package of paper napkins... Otherwise small hand and dish towels..

Glass jars, with lids get reused for jam.. Or bartered for honey, maple syrup and such... What few canning quality jars I have get bartered for a much higher price...

Cans get washed out, and reused for a multitude of things...

For an old single guy, I do reasonably well at keeping things to a minimum..

Take care..
Old 04-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I do buy the cheapest paper plates. TP of course and tissues. I use cloth napkins and I have scrap from where I cut mechanic rags to use to wipe greasey pans and such use and toss. .

My son runs a mechanic shop and I do buy the rags like 6 trash bags twice a year and cut into pieces for him. . He uses and tosses. I need to be cutting again. He had been before I started cutting for him he was buyong cut mechanic rags by the box.