BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Do You Eat Nuts For Your Health?

I considered posting this question in the food section, but the question is not about eating nuts per se, but if there is a purpose to your eating nuts, specifically with regards to one's own health?

I have always enjoyed eating nuts myself, and still enjoy eating them, but since suffering a heart-attack in '12, I try and eat a few Pistachios, Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds or Cashews every day, because of their health benefits.

I also snack on Peanuts regularly, and although Peanuts are good for the body, they are not a true nut, but rather a legume; however because they closely parallel the benefits of other nuts, please feel free to consider them as a nut also for this discussion.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Jjr,

Hubby here is a reincarnated squirrel.

We fight over the cashews.

I put pecans or walnuts in "breads" and oatmeal. A little goes a long way.

Our old dog liked nuts, too. (He could catch them in mid-air, something hubby can't do).
Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 AM

If sunflower seeds count, then yes, I eat a lot of them. They are a concentrated source of vit E and magnesium.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 AM

As I've said many times before: nutritional studies aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Funding for studies is generally short term: only a yr or three at a time, so nobody does long term, actual experiments. The nutritionists try to get around that by doing "questionnaire surveys." Respondents are asked things like "how many walnuts did you eat every week since 1972?" or "how many pounds of packaged bologna did you eat each month over the last 20 yrs." Seeing as most people can't remember if they ate breakfast last Wednesday, let alone what thy ate, you can see how dubious the results can be.

Just yesterday I was reading an article quoting a well known nutritionist who said "90% of Americans don't eat the recommended number of servings of fruits/vegetables each day." Yet we all know that 90% of Americans obviously aren't malnourished. Could it just possibly be that those recommendations are completely wrong?

Eat the way you feel comfortable. Don't smoke. Get a little exercise everyday, but not in the middle of a busy street.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 PM

Hubby's step-brother ate TONS of Snickers Bars (breakfast, lunch & dinner).

He didn't look malnourished.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:19 AM

Cashews aren't nuts either, in the botanical sense, but are seeds. My wife suffers from Oral Allergy Syndrome", so she cannot eat true nuts raw, but she can eat them toasted. She concentrates on peanuts and cashews. They don't have the essential fatty acids and such like the true nuts do.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 PM

Pistachios...

I never met one I didn't eat!

Ted
Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 PM

several years ago I decided to go "paleo" -- stopped eating grains, and replaced my morning bowl of cereal with a bowl of mixed nuts and seeds (raw of course). dropped about 40 pounds over the course of several months, and my blood chemistry improved immensely. Still follow the paleo blueprint about 80% of the time--lots of fruit and veggies, and meat and nuts and seeds as a daily staple. Have managed to maintain the lower weight, within +/- 5 lbs, and feel like I am much healthier than I was before making the change.

JVC
Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
As I've said many times before: nutritional studies aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Funding for studies is generally short term: only a yr or three at a time, so nobody does long term, actual experiments. The nutritionists try to get around that by doing "questionnaire surveys." Respondents are asked things like "how many walnuts did you eat every week since 1972?" or "how many pounds of packaged bologna did you eat each month over the last 20 yrs." Seeing as most people can't remember if they ate breakfast last Wednesday, let alone what thy ate, you can see how dubious the results can be.

Just yesterday I was reading an article quoting a well known nutritionist who said "90% of Americans don't eat the recommended number of servings of fruits/vegetables each day." Yet we all know that 90% of Americans obviously aren't malnourished. Could it just possibly be that those recommendations are completely wrong?

Eat the way you feel comfortable. Don't smoke. Get a little exercise everyday, but not in the middle of a busy street.

I've had to deal with some pretty severe mineral deficiencies over the last few years. After ending up in the ER with what felt like a heart attack but turned out to be potassium deficiency, I kind of got scared into paying more attention to nutritional content. I did my own research and put together an eating plan that, if I could eat it all, would provide 100% or more of the RDAs of every single nutrient, while keeping below 2000 calories per day.

It's more than I can eat in a day.

Just trying to follow my eating plan seems to be helping, I haven't needed iron infusions in over a year! I'm still tinkering with the plan to try and get the volume of food down to where it can fit my appetite. But in the mean time I'll take what I can get.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
As I've said many times before: nutritional studies aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
There are a lot of things which are very difficult to prove and what works for one individual may not for another.

Since you think the nutritionist need to throw away all their papers, maybe you doctors need to clear a lot of paper from your files too, since your profession seems to keep reversing its position on a number of issues. Or in other words, "What is good for the goose is also good for the gander!"
Old 05-03-2015, 03:31 AM

Well you won't in WI if the wingnuts have their way. It appears that SNAP spending on nuts is an abuse of the system.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellendra View Post
I've had to deal with some pretty severe mineral deficiencies over the last few years. After ending up in the ER with what felt like a heart attack but turned out to be potassium deficiency, I kind of got scared into paying more attention to nutritional content. I did my own research and put together an eating plan that, if I could eat it all, would provide 100% or more of the RDAs of every single nutrient, while keeping below 2000 calories per day.

It's more than I can eat in a day.

Just trying to follow my eating plan seems to be helping, I haven't needed iron infusions in over a year! I'm still tinkering with the plan to try and get the volume of food down to where it can fit my appetite. But in the mean time I'll take what I can get.
Potassium is present in all foods and easy to absorb, so a low K level in anyone not absolutely starving to death is due to some disease (GI, renal, endocrine) but most usually due to taking diuretics without adequate replacement of K.

Iron deficiency is almost always due to abnormal iron loss and the source of that loss must be found. Simple replacement without diagnosis is dangerous. Only the strictest of vegans don't get enough Fe in their diets to replace routine Fe losses.

As you have seen, getting the RDA of vit/min is tough to do without over-eating. The recommendations are probably, in reality, too high.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
I considered posting this question in the food section, but the question is not about eating nuts per se, but if there is a purpose to your eating nuts, specifically with regards to one's own health?

I have always enjoyed eating nuts myself, and still enjoy eating them, but since suffering a heart-attack in '12, I try and eat a few Pistachios, Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds or Cashews every day, because of their health benefits.

I also snack on Peanuts regularly, and although Peanuts are good for the body, they are not a true nut, but rather a legume; however because they closely parallel the benefits of other nuts, please feel free to consider them as a nut also for this discussion.
I love nuts--but with my diverticulous I cant have them---thats what th Drs said..
Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of things which are very difficult to prove and what works for one individual may not for another.

Since you think the nutritionist need to throw away all their papers, maybe you doctors need to clear a lot of paper from your files too, since your profession seems to keep reversing its position on a number of issues. Or in other words, "What is good for the goose is also good for the gander!"
With all do respect----our DOC is the greatest---we like him here at BWH and have asked him a million questions.

Thankks Doc.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 AM

I suggest you folks Google "Blue zones" - Which delves into those places around the globe which have the greatest longivity - Costa Rica, Okinawa , sadinia - invariable nuts are the snack of choice.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post

Thankks Doc.
Thank you, Annie.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I suggest you folks Google "Blue zones" - Which delves into those places around the globe which have the greatest longivity - Costa Rica, Okinawa , sadinia - invariable nuts are the snack of choice.
More directly explained by genetics. Okinawa, for instance, is one a several islands in the vicinity and they all seem to eat the same way, but Okinawans have a longer life expectancy. It can't be the diet making the difference. It's an example of inbreeding leading to beneficial results.

In regards nuts & good health, it could be that people who eat more nuts are more conscious of their health and generally have a healthier lifestyle, exercising more and eating less carbs, both of which have been shown to be beneficial by prospective studies (as opposed to the useless questionnaire, retrospective studies done on nuts.)
Old 05-16-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Actually, Jjr, I agree with you. You're right on both points. The "consensus" changes as the funding changes. If they published the truth about cholesterol, for instance, the funding would dry up: no problem, no money for research.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
More directly explained by genetics. Okinawa, for instance, is one a several islands in the vicinity and they all seem to eat the same way, but Okinawans have a longer life expectancy. It can't be the diet making the difference. It's an example of inbreeding leading to beneficial results.
I never said it was "just "diet . But diet is a big big part of it not inbreeding. Members of those same families when they leave the home and go to the big city quickly have same fatness and lifespans as " normal" people.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:27 PM

I don't want to argue the point, MOF. Longevity is determined by telomere length on your chromosomes. Nothing you can do will lengthen your life beyond that genetically determined limit. There are things you can do to shorten it.

BTW- those less analytically inclined often bring up differences in life expectancy between various nationalities-- igoring completely the fact that those differences are merely a matter of a month or two out of an 88 yr lifetime. There was a paper published 25 yrs ago by a statistician who concluded that lowering your chol from 280 to 150 would, statistically speaking, add only 4 days to the average life. Apparently that's enough to scare the rest of us to spend $billions every year on statins.