BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:45 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Binoculars....

Binoculars...... I suspect about everyone has a set of one kind or another...

I have a set in each room of the house... At least rooms with windows... Don't need them in the bathrooms, no windows.... Each car has a set... The car ones are the small size... Like 8 x 25 size.. These take some getting used to using, but seem to do a good enough job...

Several set I got at garage sales... One set needed a little fixing, but for $1 it was easy enough... I have my dads old 7x35 Jana set from the early 1960s, they work fine... The biggest pair I have is 12x50 I keep in a bag that goes to the range when I did firearms safety class... The only new set I own is a nice 10x50 set from the farm supply store on sale for less than $20...

I would LOVE to have a really nice set.. Like Leupold, or other name brand... But what ones I've had in hand didn't seem any better than the cheap ones I have... I want to be able to use anything with my glasses.. And won't spend money on anything I can't use with glasses...

I've always thought I would like one of those sets of surplus Navy binoculars... The big supper powerful ones... The kind you can count the whiskers on a whitetail bucks chin at a mile...

Facts, details, thoughts ??
Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM

I had a good pair when I was a kid but the neighbor lady caught me and took them away from me.
Kidding.

I don't have a pair but I keep thinking I should get some.
I do have a spotting scope for the range and a scopes on my rifles so I can see far off stuff.
Maybe I'll find a pair at a garage sale.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Being into photography most of my life you would think I would have a good pair of binoculars, but I don't. I have a cheap yard sale pair but never use them. What we do when we want to spot something out a ways in the yard is grab the one camera that always has the 300mm lens on it - not only do you get to take a better look at what the object is you can fire off a few shots then zoom in on them when processing the images on the computer.

After being involved with different quality lenses I've become one for nothing but the best when it comes to camera lenses - which can be quite expensive. I've never looked into a good pair of binoculars being afraid of the probable cost for high end glass.

Curious to hear some more input on this subject!