BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Still Moving Ahead...

Well, one small room worth of stuff packed (9 small boxes) so not bad. Hobbies = lots of "stuff".

Spent several hours each day looking at temporary, short-term places (3-4 months) to move to.

Checked some high-rises (not liking them) and "regular" apartments.

Missed renting out the lower half of a house (can't sign a lease yet).

High rises - hot as Hades inside the hallways; no air. Elevators. Parking: forget it. Congested around the buildings). One place, parking $150/mo.

All kitchens open into the living room. Weird.

Two places, total dives. Had lots of room but the odor, neighborhood, etc. Forget it. One near a mosque that plans to go back to prayer calls at 4:45 a.m. That's out. Really nice place, though, and affordable.

Saturday, saw an apartment that was first floor; front of the unit facing an alley. (Had 6 window facing). Parking of building's tenants under our window. Across the way, condo unit had what looked like garage doors facing into alley. (Although they had a gate access in the front and I don't think the back of the garages open). Also garbage cans under the windows. This place had two washrooms, dining room and two bedrooms. Cool, but the garbage trucks drive through our kitchen now (and we're off the alley more). Car doors, people using their parking gizmo (beeps). Saw another unit, same layout, but this unit next to the front gate that slams. They said would fix (someone already was trying to muffle the gate with some sort of make-shift padding on the door). Had garbage cans on the side of kitchen window.

Just going to keep looking and packing. Lawyer said don't sign a lease until 5/27. (When 30 days are up and buyer is supposed to have everything in place).

This whole thing is a PITA....
Old 05-18-2015, 04:16 AM

I am afraid i don't know your story. Why are you moving and why are you in need of a lawyer?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Connie, so far the place near the mosque sounds the best, except that Moslems are called to prayer about 7 times a day. Still, that would be more predictable than people randomly beeping at their cars all day long.

Flowergurl, Connie's tale is achieving legendary proportions. Look at the 'Repair or not--got to sell' thread.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:00 PM

LOL... It's got gigantic proportions, that's for sure.

Everything seems to hinge on the 27th... per the lawyer:

"We will do that but I need to warn you that the buyers often do not get a solid clear until a few days before the closing date. On the flip side, however, they generally get denied quite rapidly. Often lenders have many small conditions that need to be met up until the last minute. Your closing date is set for June 22nd according to my records.

At this point the buyers have until 5/27 to obtain the clear to close. It would be unusual for them to actually have a full and clear approval by that time but they will certainly be able to give us an update as to the status of the loan.

You will know more after 5/27 when the mortgage contingency date is up. If they are unable to obtain a clear to close by that date their attorney will request an extension of the mortgage clause. You have the right to deny that. If you do, then if they continue with the transaction and do not obtain a mortgage thus having to terminate the contract, they would lose their earnest money. On the other hand, they may also chose to not continue with the transaction because they do not want to risk their earnest money. --

At this point I would wait and see where it all stands on May 27th. No matter who is purchasing your property, unless they are buying it for cash, you will be up against these same issues."

Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Connie, I'm sorry you're having a hard time finding something, but if you need to wait until the 27th to sign a lease, maybe something else will become available during that time that will suit your needs. Keep your chin up and just keep packing. I think you'll feel better once you know where you're going. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:09 AM

Thanks!

I think you nailed it...I couldn't figure what it was.

Funny thing, there's an building listed with a neighborhood rental company that we used to rent from (30 years ago). In fact, the building is the same one we stayed at (right before we bought our first condo).

The apartment is on the first floor for $900 (one bedroom). I know for a fact the apartments are huge and have dining rooms and pantries.

Can't figure out why this one is only $900 but have an appointment with the super to see it tomorrow morning.

I don't remember what we paid 30 years ago...

Hubby is trying to cheer me up since this is the building where that I got my herniated disc (we were on the third floor and carrying furniture up; he accidentally lost control of the front of the cabinet and I held on...felt/heard the pop... OUCH! Downhill from there...)

Well, won't be moving the furniture and won't be going to the top floor either (unless there's an elevator).
Old 05-19-2015, 02:09 AM

Wait Connie... What?

I thought ya'll were going to live your dream... I go outta town for a couple weeks and now yer lookin in the city?what gives?

Ted
Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 AM

You were out of town for a couple of weeks.

Not the dream pit stop right off. Can't clean, pack and then ride around looking for a house in 45 days (at least without killing myself).

Getting a short-term lease for renting and working from there to scope out houses.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:01 PM

Connie-- a buddy of mine buys beat houses, rehabs them and then sells or rents them. His rental rates are very reasonable and I'd bet he'd be up for a short term, open-ended lease if he has a property available. These are located in & around Lockport (159th & Archer). Interested at all?

If you're not familiar with Lockport, it's a cute little town located on the old I & M canal. As you cross the river/canal, you see it snuggled on the side of the river valley, looking like it belongs under a Christmas tree with a toy RR going 'round. ...But better hurry, the suburbs are building up around it fast.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 PM

Connie, just a thought and something I did a bazillion years ago but how about finding a short term rental in a town much more closely located to the area that you want to finally settle? That will buy you time to not only locate 'your' spot but also allow you to get used to the local ways and people. They will both be different than you are used to...

Ted
Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Connie, just a thought and something I did a bazillion years ago but how about finding a short term rental in a town much more closely located to the area that you want to finally settle? That will buy you time to not only locate 'your' spot but also allow you to get used to the local ways and people. They will both be different than you are used to...
This is my plan when we retire in a few years. It requires my moving to a new state, but i want to be able to go view prospective places easily.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:02 AM

Great plan, Flowergurl.

I actually moved halfway through the search to another town. The first offered what I wanted on the surface, but not in reality. Moved to a town 50 miles further and from there was able to learn the people, the place and more importantly, find the place for me at my leisure.

Any other way of looking you will just be spinning your wheels and in a hurry because of the road trip to get home. Any other way and you won't get to know the people, won't earn their trust. When I got mine, I got it 25K under advertised price because I helped an old feller I did not know, get his car unstuck from a snow bank in a store parking lot. The store manager saw this and called a guy who called a guy etc... A day later as I sat in the cafe coffeeing up, a guy approached me about a place... history.

Connie, this one is for you and I mean no rudeness in any way. Based on observations of your previous postings during your sale and stuff with the post office etc... I glean that you are a 'caller' ie. you like to call and discuss some sort of slight or lapse of service as you see it with what ever employee that answers the phone... For your own benefit, don't do that in your dream small town of choice. It is a different world. I see it all the time around here and I also see the after effects. Taint pretty. We are tiny town people in the middle of nowhere... a map dot on the black top. Not every service is automated or digitized. Crap takes time, sometimes lots. Heck, not every place takes a debit or credit card but they will take your check if they 'know ya'. Place nice, word spreads. Fast.

Please, I am not being facetious, I am trying to pave your road a little bit.

Ted
Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 AM

You almost got it....it's usually the supervisor if I spin my wheels for several hours/days and get no where (or it's costing us as the clock is ticking).

If I'm in a smaller but larger town/city, would your advice still apply? (A bigger "dot"). Where they have automation and no excuse not to work properly.

Got it on the being patient in a smaller town... (Sister, in-laws all live/lived rural). However, the opposite can apply where someone new comes in and the locals give off an unwarranted attitude (got that over the phone handling my MIL's estate and when I lived and worked in Columbus, OH, for a short spell when I was just starting out). Yes, we HAD gangsters here in Chicago...ALL LONG DEAD NOW by the way... YES, we have crime here (lots of it). NO, I don't have a criminal history.

Funny thing, got rude conversation(s) from the banking locals in Whiteville, TN, about Chicagoans (crime and stealing, misappropriation), but I had to go after my MIL's brother that stole money out of the bank and his son that stole from his sister that had dementia and he was supposed to be her conservator. AND, had to go after the bank. I held my breath and put up with the demeaning "big city" remarks until I got everything in place (recouping $ and filing police complaints) and then told them to stick it where the sun didn't shine.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 AM

flowergurl,

Those were our initial intentions (selling, moving to the town, etc., directly). Stuff comes up and things don't always go according to plan, though.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:30 AM

It just depends on the town. A larger smallish farming center is still going to have older values and a 'polite' way of doing things. I dealt with someone today working on a utility for the new farm and I wanted to reach through the phone and rip her still beating heart out. I didn't. I reverted to my youth and said yes maam, no maam with all the honey my momma taught me.

Me - I grew up on a farm in a small town in Idaho and had my first real taste of the big cities compliments of Uncle Sams Misguided Children. After I got out, I spent years working and saving while living in Seattle and surrounding tryin to get to that first farm of my own. I hated city pricks then and still do now. Heck, I was one for a time... when in Rome... I learned quick on that first little stead to keep my yap shut and any non local opinions to myself. I learned that you help everyone no matter what. I learned all the things I had forgotten...

In about 12 hours I close on my third and, god willin, final farm. It's not much but about 17 square feet of it will be mine tomorrow morning and a few more feet with each payment. I lived in this little tiny SD town for two years, looking and waiting.

Yup, the locals can give off attitude, always will. It is not unwarranted though. It is a way of telling you right up front that just because your here does not make you welcome. That you gotta earn. To many city folks pass through our lives and laid the attitude ground work for ya.

You wanna fit in, be helpful, be polite, participate, volunteer and work hard.

Ted
Old 05-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Congrats on your closing Green Alien! Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. I think no matter where you're living or where you're from, the best thing to do is always be polite and helpful whenever possible. I consider it a form of paying it forward. Hopefully, someday when I'm in need of help or just a smile from a stranger, someone will be there for me. You never know what the other person is dealing with. The world would be a better place if we all remembered what our Mama's taught us!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 PM

Yup, the locals can give off attitude, always will. It is not unwarranted though. It is a way of telling you right up front that just because your here does not make you welcome. That you gotta earn.

===

Well, fortunately I don't make people new to the city jump through a lot of hoops and give them attitude (even though I never met them before).
Old 05-21-2015, 02:07 AM

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the offer.

Last edited by connie189; 05-21-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Congrats on your closing Green Alien! Sounds like you have your ducks in a row.
Thank you, CM. Shes a done deal now!
Ted
Old 05-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Yup, the locals can give off attitude, always will. It is not unwarranted though. It is a way of telling you right up front that just because your here does not make you welcome. That you gotta earn.

===

Well, fortunately I don't make people new to the city jump through a lot of hoops and give them attitude (even though I never met them before).
I stayed in your city many years ago... Yeah, NO! Second happiest departue of my life... I will say though, NYC is worse.

Ted