BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default I need a new shed...but what?

I live in a trailer park where we're required to have a shed. Mine is a wreck of a thing built right on the dirt, so the wood floor boards are rotting and it's shifted off center so I can no longer close the door all the way. It has to go!

But there are so many options out there. This isn't something I can manage to build myself so I need to ask - would it be better to hire a carpenter to stick build it or get one of those prefab jobbies and have someone build that?

There (obviously) aren't any park rules about a foundation - (since this one doesn't have any at all) - but I'm not sure what's needed. Cement blocks in the corners? A cement pad? Concrete footers? My current shed (shack) is probably 8' x 10' and that size would be fine, especially since I could have it built with a work bench and some wall storage. I could use this one as a work space, but it's just so moldy and icky in there - I don't even like to go in it for the shovel or mower.

I expect to spend at least a few thousand on it. Heaven only knows what it'll cost to get that old mess out of there.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:18 PM

CarolAnn

I don't know what it's like where you live. But around here there are a couple of people selling Amish built yard barns. And what you can buy one of them for you can't hardy bother with building you own. They're brought on a truck and set where ever you want them. No fuss no muss.

The ones here are on pressure tread skids so no need for any concrete. I don't have one myself I have a big garage. My neighbor though got one 2, 3 years ago and it still looks as good as when they bought it. He set his on a bed of leveled washed 2 inch rock. I do believe he put land scape fabric under the rock to keep weeds from grown up around it.

QGM
Old 05-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Master Pontificator

as mentioned already the prebuilt ones on skids are probably the fast and easy option. i bought a 10x14 a few years ago for $1200 and lived in it for over a year, then i bought a 12x20 for $3200, added on the side and am living in it now.

they are probably your best bet if you want fast and can spend money. a stick built 2x4 and plywood kind can be made for about $600 if you do it yourself ($1200 to hire someone, but then thats just what the delivered ones are). the Actual Amish ones in my area are board and batton and the Amish mill the wood themselves, so their costs are almost all for labor, they are cheaper than the plywood kind and the amish enjoy a greater cost/profit ratio (more profit and less cost in materials). if you don't need it big or fancy you could get by building with just shipping pallets and scavanged lumber (the way i build my many structures), or you could do like a friend of mine is doing, put some 4x4 posts in the ground like a pole barn and sheath it with mill slab to look like a log cabin, then use a couple 2x4s to hold a metal roof on top and frame a window or 2 on the sides with 2x4s and add a door made from plywood. his cabin shed cost less than $10, but he did all the work himself.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 PM

Plastic can work too: http://www.menards.com/main/building...485.htm?page=1
Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 PM

Plus if you buy it by Sat you get 11% back in store credit.

Which reminds me I need to get to Menards tomorrow for some lumber.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:17 AM

Mine picture here is 8 x 12 and build by the local Mennonites. It was about 2k Custom build and delivered. VERY well done.
http://www.beachybarns.com/

As Quietgentleman said they can be built and delivered.

I just DO NOT like the metal ones. I've seen to many smashed and blown away by the wind !