BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 05-19-2015, 02:14 PM

Default New kid on the block

Hello everyone!

New kid....ok, actually a new old codger on the block. Retired sailor / educator that is now leaving behind suburbia and heading beyond the sidewalks. This is going to be a great new adventure for our family and I'll be searching for answers, solutions and asking lots of silly questions as we strive to become as independent and self-sufficient as possible in the immediate near future.

Our plans include going totally solar for energy at our new country place as well as including on our little homestead: rain catchment, a cistern, solar water heating, greywater irrigation, whole house water filtration, raised bed garden, greenhouse, lathhouse, aquaponics, and both culinary and medicinal herbal gardens. There are already about a half a dozen small fruit trees on our new place, but I'm sure we'll be adding more. We're shooting for an edible landscape that is as xeriscapic (is that a word?) as possible.

While I have actually done most of the above components of self-sufficiency at one time or place or another, I've never been able to put them all together at the same time and in the same place!

In two months we'll be moving to our forever home (WooHOOO!!) so finally I will be able to put it all together and see if I can make it work without working myself to death....after all, I'm heading into my sixth decade and realize that I'm a lot longer in the tooth than I used to be, so my goal is to work smarter....not harder.

Cheers!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:47 PM

Welcome! Congrats on your new adventure.
What area are you going to be in ?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:10 PM

Thanks Flowergirl,

We're finally leaving Southern California and headed to the northern part of the state on the eastern edge of the Central Valley smack up against the foothills of the Sierra Nevada's. We'll have a nice view of Mount Lassen to our North-east, the Sacramento River is off to our west and we'll be in an area with an excellent nearly year round growing season, especially with a greenhouse for mid-winter veggie production. Far enough from town to be sane, but close enough to take care of business and things one needs to as we grow older. Plenty of fishing and hunting in the area, lots of nature.

Last edited by Ironbeard; 05-19-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome aboard.
Sounds like a big adventure ahead of you.
Enjoy it.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome Ironbeard! Sounds like a grand adventure for sure. It also sounds like you have lots of skills to bring to the table. Keep us posted on your adventure, and pictures are always welcome. Sue
Old 05-19-2015, 09:54 PM

Aw, it is pretty country there.
I spent 4 years in the Vacaville/ Travis AF base area.
I was glad when DH's time was up there tho, I really didn't care for living in Ca. I am a midwest girl at heart.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:36 AM

Ironbeard, it sounds like you're yet another nut-job in serious need of counseling. You'll fit in well here. We look forward to your contributions and descriptions of your adventure. Welcome.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:51 PM

Welcome, Ironbeard! Sounds like you're good to go
Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 AM

Thank's everyone for the warm welcome. I guess if I'm a nut job at least I seem to have fallen in with a like bushel of nuts!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbeard View Post
Thank's everyone for the warm welcome. I guess if I'm a nut job at least I seem to have fallen in with a like bushel of nuts!
You have that right. Welcome. Beware of Squirrels.