BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Attaching conduit to power pole

I'm just about finished setting up power at our property prior to inspection.

But I'm stuck on one thing - how to attach the conduit to the pole.

I'm running 2" PVC from the meter box to the weatherhead. Bought 2" PVC clamps which would work great if attaching to a flat surface, but the power pole isn't flat.

In order to get anywhere close to holding the conduit, I have to set the screws at an angle, but the bases of the clamps/straps don't reach all the way back to the pole surface.

Next size up of clamp appears to be 2 1/2" and those are way too big to be useful.

I must be missing something. Is there a special strap/clamp used for attaching to poles? What's it called?

Should I try a galvanized strap instead?

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:43 PM

You could make custom pieces with pipe strap as you suggest, or won't metal pipe straps work if ears are bent to conform to shape of pole? Or, short pieces of 2x3 or 2x4 could be anchored to the pole, then the PVC staps could be screwed in flush with that. But that would leave the conduit raised 2in from being flush with the pole.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Why do you have to attach the conduit?
Seems like the power company should be doing that work.
Unless it is a pole you installed and they are going to bring the wires to it.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM

I'm in WV. Fortunately, I already had a pole that previously had service, but none of the equipment on it met code anymore.

So I have to re-equip the pole (or pay someone to do it), then get an inspection from a local, and then the power company will energize it.

The utility provides the meter box and I have to provide everything else, including the mast, wiring, etc.

I have the meter box installed on the pole, along with a disconnect/breaker panel and outlet for my camper. It's being treated as a temporary power installation for powering the camper - later I can run a line to a structure and convert it to permanent as the pole configuration is the same either way.

I'm putting in 200amp service, with later expandability in mind. So I have 2" PVC conduit running out of the meter box with 4/0 aluminum wire running up the mast through the weatherhead (we use 3-wire here). It's all basically done, except the standard 2" PVC pipe straps can't be fastened down against the pole surface because they're made for flat surface installations. Nothing the big box stores carry appears to work. What I'm using will hold the conduit to the pole, but I doubt it will pass inspection like that.

I'm in a very rural area so there aren't a lot of resources, and being that I'm working full-time, I don't have a lot of time to drive into the city. Did a bunch of searching online and haven't been able to find what the standard method of attaching the conduit to the pole is. I can't be the first person to do this, but I'm not getting anywhere figuring out what the right method is. Been going down the list of approved inspectors trying to get one to call me back but so far, no luck

Old 06-02-2015, 10:02 AM

I believe what I need is what's pictured in the middle:

Appears there isn't a plastic version, only metal. Presumably I'd need galvanized for an exterior installation.

I don't know if I can use a metal clamp on PVC conduit, or if the diameter will match since metal conduit (presumably what the metal straps are made for) may or may not be the same O.D. as PVC.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
I believe what I need is what's pictured in the middle:

Appears there isn't a plastic version, only metal. Presumably I'd need galvanized for an exterior installation.

I don't know if I can use a metal clamp on PVC conduit, or if the diameter will match since metal conduit (presumably what the metal straps are made for) may or may not be the same O.D. as PVC.
You may be able to bend the ones you have in a manner similar to the middle example.

Get some extra long lag screws, and if it doesn't want to reach the pole, cut PVC spacers to go between the strap and the pole, covering the screws
Old 06-02-2015, 09:15 PM

I would call your power company and ask. I ran 220 in grey pvc and used steel straps to anchor them. Passed inspection and that was in Kalifornia.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:48 AM

The ones my hubby used only attach on one side so the round pole isn't a problem. He fastened on one side on one clamp and turned the next clamp so he fastened on the opposite side.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbieLady View Post
The ones my hubby used only attach on one side so the round pole isn't a problem. He fastened on one side on one clamp and turned the next clamp so he fastened on the opposite side.
That will work especially well with single hold clamps:

Old 06-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Thanks for everyone's help.

I finally found the correct clamps/straps online after much-more-than-usual searching. Should be here next week.

I'm just about finished with everything else and am feeling pretty good about passing inspection on the first attempt.

The way it works in our area, is the power company supplies the meter box and some pretty limited requirements - meter box height, number of ground rods and spacing, etc. All the rest is left to the local inspector. Being unable to find an inspector who would return my calls, I've been following the NEC. If local codes or inspector preferences deviate from that, then I'll have to redo something.

Once the inspector signs off, the power company comes out and energizes the installation.

In my case, the previous owner had power about 20 years ago and there's a transformer already on the property. That install violated so many codes, it's hard to list them - interior disconnect used outside, exposed interior romex outside, plumbing pvc used as conduit - I guess they didn't have inspections back then. But I just took everything off the pole and started from scratch.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Curious on how you are going to get the required inspection without an inspector?

Other than that - unless I missed a post of yours - I was wondering how you are making out with your big move - also about how you are dealing with water etc. in the meantime.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 PM

I have a list of about 20 inspectors approved by the power company. Started with the ones closest to our property and am working my way out geographically. Generally give them a couple of calls over a few days before I move onto the next one.

Making out OK. I have 2 55 gallon barrels strapped to a HF trailer. Was driving them with me to Cleveland to fill them, but I found the local city has a fill station. Costs about $2.50 in change to fill them both. I go through maybe 30 gallons a week, so it's not too inconvenient unless it rains so badly I can't get out and in the driveway with the trailer.

We lucked out and are buying a cabin across the road from our place. It's about 20x22 on 4 acres. Just waiting for the deed to be signed over which should happen next week. Plan to live there for 3-4 years and work on turning the acreage into a farm. Then we'll build a house down there. I have money set aside to have the driveway excavated and graveled, but I can't seem to get an excavator to call me back either...

Old 06-05-2015, 04:58 PM

Wow - that awesome about the cabin! Good for you!

It must be quite a relief to obtain the cabin then you can concentrate on the homestead itself without worrying about temporary living quarters.

All good thing happen for a reason.....
Old 06-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
That will work especially well with single hold clamps:

That is exactly what he used.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Brings to mind the journey on our power pole and service.

Started out they wouldn't put in a pole and service if you didn't have a house, but kinda hard to build with out power....can be done but just a PITA.

So down the road saw pole with meters, breaker boxes, and out lets....
So ask the power company about that....
They said, "Those are seasonal services..."
"Yeah, well,... that what I want...."

So they put in my pole....I wired in an outlet and breaker box ....used it for 15 years till time for the cabin.

Cabin was built by the Amish and arrived by truck...so was considered a mobile home...so no real codes applied.

Wired up the cabin weather head and conduit, per one of their service guys that I knew from the saloon....then he came out and inspected me gave me the sticker, and hooked me up for power.

Thing is to find out how it all works, and don't be in a hurry...country people sure aren't....LOL
Old 06-30-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
I farm. Then we'll build a house down there. I have money set aside to have the driveway excavated and graveled, but I can't seem to get an excavator to call me back either...
WV everyone is working for the gas and oil industry no time for local!work.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:34 PM

Default Unistrut

Get some unistrut. Bolt that to the pole. They make clamps to attach pipe to the UNistrut. a 10 ft length of unitsrut is about $20, the clamps should be available at HD, Lowes or electrical supply house. UNistrut should be there too, you could even go galvanized on the Unitstrut.

dave