BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default a pea question--or two

Due to some extremely wet circumstances just as my spring peas were coming in, most of the crop went full cycle--back to seed. Now, I'm wondering what if anything I can do with all those wrinkled hard little peas.

Varieties were arrow, and cascadia--can't remember if they were OP or not.
1) can I finish shelling them and plant for a fall crop, or is that wasting garden space and time??
or
2) can I disk up some pasture and broadcast them out there --again for the fall??--Some sort of pea should germinate even if it proves to be not a table pea I would think
or
3) (bonus question) is there any way to make an edible out of them??

I was able to enjoy a couple of meals from some early picking before the 3 week rain event set in, and have put up (freezer) a few quarts of what I could get to afterwards. Although they have gone mostly to starch, I figure I can at least use them in soups and stews. Now I hate to just toss a coffee can full of little seeds without trying to do something with them.

JVC
Old 06-08-2015, 12:52 AM

Boil some and see what happens
You just have dried peas instead of "fresh" peas

If they aren't edible, they will do well as pasture plantings
Old 06-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Master Pontificator

you could boil them and see what you get, or mix them with other stuff and can them (peas, corn, carrots mix)

you could use them in a pasture setting. last year i preped an area for this year by buying 2 gallons of cheap peas in bulk at the grocery store. first i scythed down everything then ran the cultivator over the spot, threw handfulls of peas out, then ran the cultivator again. had a good crop of peas till the deer and woodchucks found them. then i just cut everything down again and ran the cultivator through it. would have planted it this year but i bought an ATV and trailer over winter and the only passable trail to get firewood from out back is to go through this spot (about 50x80 and the trail cuts it into 2 20x80s), gets too disturbed to use this year.

as a member of the bean family they fix nitrogen to the soil, so the roots put nitrogen in the soil, and its doubly efective if you till in the plants while they are still green and full themselves (if they dry out they are like hay, devoid of nutrients).
Old 06-08-2015, 04:10 PM

They are probably OP, since their are almost no hybrids out there, but I would also try pea soup.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 PM

Not those varieties, but we've ate dried peas before. Just takes more water and longer to cook.
I also agree with the Fall planting. But realize that you'd be likely to have to water them planting in August or Sept. to get a Fall crop. And the bugs are already out. In my part of Tx that means a lot of thumping critters into jars of soapy water to keep from having bug bitten peas lol
My Dad sprays his but it seems to me it costs more to do that than to just buy peas ready to eat. That and the bugs that survive are more resistant next time.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 PM

I've kept cascadia seeds to plant the following year.
I've been doing that for so many years I can't even remember if they originally started as Op....but I have my doubts.

I think some hybrid veggies become genetically chaotic when hybrids go to seed and are planted, but sweet peas seem to be less so, I've never had any issues.

I'm also located about two hours from Toronto Canada, and we've got wonderful weather for peas.