BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Interesting discussion. I would have to say, yes. I would feed my neighbors. There is no way my conscience would let me eat and let a neighbor go hungry.

From the comments it seems like most of you assume you would be the healthy one and anyone who comes to your place would have to work. What if YOU are the one who is sick or injured and can't pull your weight? How would that change your perspective?

Last edited by wildturnip; 06-19-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 06-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Good point - I think we all could find ourselves on the other side - needing help - maybe through no fault of our own. And I will say that I don't know what I'd do. But I do think once you set a precedent, you will have to make that call more than once. And, eventually, you will be hurting your family by taking in everyone.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:53 PM
Master Pontificator

if the shoe was on the other foot i don't think i would have a hard time finding people willing to have me join them, in fact i am sure my reputation would have people in the area putting a high priority on having me join them.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM

People with knowledge will be in demand even if they can't do physical labor.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:07 PM

Three people adrift in a rowboat. Enough food & water to last, say, six man-days-- ie-- 3 could survive 2 days; 2 could survive 3 days, 1 could survive 6 days. How the supplies are divvied up may depend on chances for rescue. Not much sense in exercising altruism if you're six days from rescue, or even 3 days.

In regards the SHTF scenario, the answer is "it depends." You can't jeopardize your own survival to appease a guilty conscience.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:12 PM

These so-called "moral dilemmas" leave God out of the equation though.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
These so-called "moral dilemmas" leave God out of the equation though.

Yes they do - and I hope I would be sensitive to His guidance if I were faced with that situation.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Three people adrift in a rowboat. Enough food & water to last, say, six man-days-- ie-- 3 could survive 2 days; 2 could survive 3 days, 1 could survive 6 days. How the supplies are divvied up may depend on chances for rescue. Not much sense in exercising altruism if you're six days from rescue, or even 3 days.

In regards the SHTF scenario, the answer is "it depends." You can't jeopardize your own survival to appease a guilty conscience.
Sure you can! Really though, it's not appeasing a guilt conscience, it's following what one believes to be right.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 AM

If there is no God, then He doesn't enter into the equation. If there is a God, He's gunna let you into heaven no matter what you do on Earth, so again He doesn't enter into the equation. If you're (any of us) all that fired altruistic, then why don't you just kill yourself when supplies are short so the others can live? Why are you asking the question at all then about what you would do in a SHTF situation?

There is no right or wrong, good or bad in Nature. Only survival. OTOH, there are no Atheists in a foxhole under bombardment.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:28 AM

So where do you get the idea that God will let you into heaven no matter what you do on earth?

But if I killed myself, that would be breaking the sixth commandment "Thou shalt not kill".
Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
But if I killed myself, that would be breaking the sixth commandment "Thou shalt not kill".
So now we have a whole other discussion along the same topic:

Let's say I have access to groceries through my friends/family or whatever. Let's say I'm debilitated in some way resulting in the need for frequent care, extra resources or whatever. I know I'm not going to get better.

What is the right thing for me to do?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:38 AM

I think the right thing to is is don't play God, let Him decide. The reality is that I would not want to be a burden to my family but I couldn't go against God and take my own life. I would ask Him to do it if it was His will.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I would ask Him to do it if it was His will.
Old joke: A guy & his house are swept away by a flood. He's stranded for days on the roof. Finally, a boat shows up and they tell him to get on board. "No, God will save me if it is His will." They leave. Next day another boat floats up and again the guy refuses rescue. "No, thanks, but God will save me if it is HIs will." They leave. Next day a helicopter hovers over him and lowers a ladder."No. God will save me if it is His will." The next day, the guy finally dies of starvation and he appears at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter greets him and he immediately starts to complain about not being saved. "Whadya want?" sez St Peter. "We sent ya two boats and a helicopter!"
Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
So where do you get the idea that God will let you into heaven no matter what you do on earth?

I got a joke for that too: Good ol' Joe drops dead. A long marble staircase appears to him reaching up into the clouds. He figures he's supposed to start climbing to Heaven. As he goes, he starts to worry that maybe he didn't live a good enuff life to enter Heaven. The farther he goes, the more worried he gets, especially when he finally breaks above the clouds, sees the Pearly Gates with long marble walls extending to either side like a fort. Along one of those walls he sees many people in agony, wailing, tearing their clothes and pulling their hair. Oh, cripes, he thinks. Those must be the poor wretched souls of those not allowed in, waiting to go to Hell.

But as he reaches the last few steps, the Gates swing open and St Peter comes out with arms extended and a big smile on his face. "Welcome Joe! We've been waiting for you! Come on in!" "Just like that?" questions Joe. "Sure." sez St Peter. "We let everyone in here."

"Then who are those guys moaning and wailing?" St Peter answers with a little chuckle, "Oh, they're the people who thought we were really keeping records. God forgives everyone."
Old 06-30-2015, 12:46 AM

Tsk, tsk!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:12 AM

Again, to each his own. I almost certainly would take them in. They will know something that I do not know and will be able to help. Very likely they will be willing to contribute.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
Again, to each his own. I almost certainly would take them in. They will know something that I do not know and will be able to help. Very likely they will be willing to contribute.
MAYBE they know something...and POSSIBLY they will be willing...

You're assuming a lot that maybe doesn't warrant your trust. The type of situation will also merit consideration: if the crisis is, say, a tornado that does only local damage and help is probably coming within a short period of time, altruism may not jeopardize your long term survival.

OTOH- if it's nuclear war, like we were all worried about in the 50s & 60s, and there's a wide spread breakdown in society and supply lines, then you need to be more selfish. Or an invasion by space aliens: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx7...ter_shortfilms ..an amusing classic Twilight Zone episode from 1961 when bombshelters were in vogue.

ps/ Welcome, DeathB4..I like that name..brings back memories. I was a regular John Revolta in those days
Old 07-03-2015, 11:34 AM

I still stand with what I said - I won't take anyone in.

Around here there are basically 2 types of people/families. The minority is like us who take care of themselves, have a garden etc. and will easily hunt for food. The majority will be the welfare/SSI people who have lived their lives on hand-outs - if they can't get their food stamps and/or grocery stores empty they will be out begging door to door.

And I am a bit sour I guess - after going through what we have the past several years with my wife becoming disabled 10 years ago and myself 4 years ago there was not one offer of help from anyone. Came very close to loosing everything (because of financial issues) but we made it work. Not that I was ever expecting any hand-outs but even an offer of some help here and there (property/building maintenance with no money involved) would have gone a long way.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Coaltrain, I understand why you would feel the way you do. I'm sorry no one helped you. That is so sad. If we had been your neighbors, we certainly would have done everything we could to help you. We don't have a lot of money but we could have helped you with your work.

We have been blessed with very good neighbors which no doubt affects my feelings.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 PM

I guess the bottom line is: 1) the predicted extent & severity of the emergency and 2) your knowledge of your neighbors -their integrity and their skills. We won't truly know until faced with the issue. At this point - no one is right & no one is wrong.