BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I bird hunt mostly for grouse, I would say 90% I'm using a shotgun of some type. My current favorite is a 20g over\under. I love the .22, but grouse hunting is both for sport and meat - so the shotgun is the primary. I'm mostly hunting behind a dog as well, so I never shoot ground skeet. I won't pass up a shot if the bird is in a tree and not flying though.

When I'm not out hunting with the dog, it's usually for squirrel and rabbit. That's when the .22 comes out. I do pick up a fair amount of grouse this way too, as the birds don't flush as much when you don't have the dog with you.

I also hunt duck, geese, and pheasant. Duck and geese are plentiful around my property - a lot of wings on the river. I always use shotgun for these, but my dog and I have snuck up on them when they were in the river and it would be very easy to use the .22. In a normal situation, would never do that - but, could easily be done.

If I was hunting small game (including grouse) for pure meat purposes, I can easily see myself switching to the .22 more often.

For home defense, my go to is a pistol, but we keep a shotgun in the bedroom as well. Pistol on my side of the bed, shotgun on the Ladies side. I keep my skills with the pistol honed pretty well, but the Lady doesn't shoot pistol much. She is much more comfortable with the shotgun.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:50 AM

I think the term bird shot could mean quite a few different loads. Are we talking 9 shot, 7 1/2, 6, 5, or 4.

I load 5 for turkey myself, which after patterning it, I'd say it would stop anyone. I'd think 4 or 6 would be in the same range. Not sure I'd trust a trap load.

Most will say the shotgun is the best for home self defense because most walls will stop errant shots. And then there's nothing like the sound of a 12 gauge shell being pumped into the chamber. That being said my shotgun is locked away in the safe, untouched for a couple years now, and the handgun sits by the bed instead.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:50 PM

Bear-I appreciate your knowledge and comments, we disagree but we both have the right to do it. However I really don't want to see this thread digress and on questions it was not intended to address. Have a good day.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:16 PM

See for myself, as far as hunting goes, I live in the middle of very good pheasant hunting and quail to boot. Everyone around hunts them, I just haven't felt the urge for many years. I must correct myself, there is one shotgun I regularly shoot. My Great-Grandpa owned an Eastern Arms .410 single-shot that during the depression in the Ozarks, shoot about everything they ate. I go out and shoot a squirrel with that occasionally just for the family history and nostalgia.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Joe, I agree - if you can only have one firearm (or don't have any but are looking to get ONE) I would have to recommend a shotgun as well.
My reasoning is twofold; a shotgun has the option of multiple loads - birdshot, buckshot or slugs, and both reloading supplies and factory ammo are readily available.

But to answer your informal survey, my shotgun is stripped and oiled twice a year, then put back up. The .22 is the grab-n-go weapon for varmint control, and a black powder rifle for the "I'm a goin' huntin'" one.

The TickFarmer
Old 06-16-2015, 03:22 PM

I do not agree with those who say bird shot is not an effective defense load. In the confines of an average home the distances involved are such that any load is not going to have time to open up to the point that the individual pellets need be counted on to do any stopping. At about 20 feet and from a modified choke that pattern is going to be no more than maybe the size of a grapefruit. Thait's a small size for the amount of shot leaving the gun. Small enough indeed to be devastating to flesh

As to the taking of game ,the person mentioning the use of a 22 failed to see the futility of attempting to take game on the wing with said 22. You've got about a .001 chance of hitting that flying game with a 22 unless maybe you re Annie Oakley or someone like that.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:29 PM

Well, don't shoot while it is flying. It may not be sporting but it is tasty. I don't hunt birds, as previously stated it seems like a large amount of lead and powder to expend on such a small amount of usable meat. Plus around here hunting pheasant means driving and walking more miles than I have time to do. I can pop a squirrel or rabbit with the 22 and be out less expendables and net more food.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:18 PM

It isn't as easy as saying "don't shoot them while flying." The bird may have other plans and you will want to maximize your chances of a hit. In this scenario the shotgun is definitely what you want.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Correct, it is not that easy. However, I was trying to make a point through hyperbole that flying birds are not my best chance for anchoring meat so I don't. Obviously, your situation is different so you do. That is what I was trying to get out of asking the original question.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:27 AM

For a while, I was teaching combat shotgun and bought a lot of #8 shot for training purposes. I tested my M500 and found that at across the room distances the pattern was hardly larger than bore diameter. I'd have no problem using that for HD if it was all I had. However, I do keep OO buck loaded and the shotty leaning in the corner beside the bed in case needed. Safety off and an empty chamber.

I'll rack the slide if needed. I don't care if it scares anyone or reveals my position or not. If it scares an intruder fine, if not then I'm still .3 seconds faster than not slide racking. Either way, I'm good. The shotgun excels in one area, and there it is king. Under 25 yards and fast moving targets are bread and butter for a SG, as it allows a skilled individual to dominate a tactical situation. One shot per target does it.

I keep the SG ready because it's effective, and cheap to replace if I have use it, because we all know for a fact that the po-po will confiscate it once it's been used in a shooting even if temporarily.

I don't hunt with a shotgun, but have been thinking of using it on feral hogs.

Jim
Old 06-20-2015, 02:49 PM

I appreciate your input jim. That is about my only use for the shotgun as well. Thankfully, have never had to use it that way.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:55 PM

My homestead shotgun is a BRI 12ga single shot with Lyman peep sights. I have killed more stuff with that gun than any other. From deer to skunks and everything in between. My most reliable and simple piece.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 AM

I have a pretty generic Remington 20ga pump - needed the least recoil possible because of my RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis). For critters within 30 yards of the house it is great - a lot of times a .22 will go right through these guys unless you can get a head shot in the dark.

It's a little long (barrel) for a home defense weapon however. I might cut mine down or get a short double barrel like a coach gun.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM

I happen to like guns. Guns of all types, from a 45-70 single shot rifle to an AK.
That said, I really like shotguns, because used they are cheap to buy, and they are cheap to feed.
I will not get into an argument about gauge or shot size as this is pointless. However, in my bedroom closet is an 870 loaded with heavy game load birdshot, and right beside that is an Ithaca 37 loaded with OO buck.
At night when I go to bed, out comes the 12 ga O/U that has a turkey load first and a #4 buck second, since my most likely opponent will be something after our chickens in the middle of the night.

The chances of someone attempting to come into our home uninvited are slim to none. Especially since our 4 dogs would let us know if anyone climbed over the fence and approached the house.

Truth be told, even Winchester's .410 three inch OOO buck load, 5 pellets at over 1200 fps, would get the job done against a man.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 07-28-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post

As to the taking of game ,the person mentioning the use of a 22 failed to see the futility of attempting to take game on the wing with said 22. You've got about a .001 chance of hitting that flying game with a 22 unless maybe you re Annie Oakley or someone like that.
Hey Man - I think my comment about using a .22 for grouse might be the inspiration of this section of your comment.

Just to clarify, I meant using a .22 for grouse not on the wing. When I'm out grouse hunting, a good percentage of the grouse I see are on the ground or roosting. That's why I think a .22 is viable for this type of quarry - if you aren't out with a dog and are quietly strolling in the forest.

I totally agree with you that attempting to shoot them on the wing is a bit silly.

So back to the shotgun thing - Less than 2 months until goose season, so out comes the shotgun for some practice on clays!!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Old M37 Ithaca pump with 2 barrels: a 26" with rifle sights for slugs or bird/buck shot up close, and a 28" mod for birds and mammals farther away.

The slug barrel has one shot deer to one hundred yards and I have shot many types of slugs to see what groups best. It will do 4" groups at 75 yards.

I take exception that you need buckshot to stop things quickly, slugs are simply devastating.

The 28" barrel has worked well on most birds but could use a tighter pattern to be really great on geese and turkey. Throws a nice buckshot pattern that does well on things like coyotes and woodchucks.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:48 AM
Master Pontificator

870.(s)..Spring, turkey, .....fall, duck, grouse, pheasant...rest of the year, bedroom corner, OO buck....or "deployed".

They are loaded, ....empty chamber for safety...not for "racking".
Old 05-29-2016, 08:21 PM

Old dead thread but IMO my shotgun is a mainstay. It and #6's have put many a squirrel and rabbit in the pot. 6's and 4's have provided countless ducks. Close range deer would be no problem with slugs or buckshot (buck isn't legal in OK for deer). Many bear country carry them loaded with slugs. If I had to defend myself from a gun toting thug, I can't think of anything I'd feel more confident than a pump gun full of 00. To me there isn't a gun made that is more versatile and the closest thing to a definition of a one gun does it all.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeep92 View Post
My shotgun has basically rusted away underneath the bed, filled with turkey loads for potential visitors. Does anyone share the same shotgun experience or do you guys actually use them?
As a suburban homesteader, I don't use shotguns often. Personally, I don't like to bird hunt because it seems to be a lot of wasted resources for a tiny payoff.

But. . . .

I have shotguns around the house for defensive purposes. I hope never to use them, just as I hope never to use the fire extinguishers.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM

12ga 3' pump. An Ithaca 37 or Remington 870. Two barrels, one open cylinder for close work or slugs, the other a modified or full.