BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Old Guy 3=Racoon 1..

Old Guy 3 = Racoon 1..... So far....
OK.... So somewhere I have posted I've had bird feeder troubles this summer..

Very first thing I did was live trap and relocate an adult racoon... That was easy... Too easy as it turns out, I guess....

So Sunday I noticed something out by the edge of the road... There were 3 small racoons messing around along the road... Some of the weekend honyockers noticed them and would drive by repeatedly looking... And of course there town dogs barking up a storm in the car or truck...

They were about the size of a half grown cat.. So I'm scrambling around trying to get a garden rake and my dog transport cage dug out.. And of course by that time the racoons had scattered...

By the time I got organized, I was able to catch 2 of the 3 little ones... Pin them down with a garden rake... Luckily enough they were small enough to pick up by the tail and quickly get hold of them by the nape of the neck right behind there ears..

By the time it was dark I put them in the dog kennel, gave them water, an old hot dog bun with some tuna in it, and a hand full of old dry dog food... Couldn't find the third little one...

By this morning they had cleaned up every bit of the food and the water dish was empty... I dumped them out at the small lake in the county forest area where I released the adult animal... Released them by the edge of the lake, and of course them being fed and rested soon as they got out they wanted to fight.... It was fun to watch them grunt, growl, huff and bluff at being tough...

DO NOT believe for a moment they couldn't chew and scratch on you often and deep if they got a chance...

Still have a small live trap out... So will have to look around some more for the missing one...

I don't normally have much tolerance for predators.... But....
Them being considered a fur bearing animal, I didn't figure it was a good idea to test there lead tolerance...

Take care...
Old 06-15-2015, 11:10 PM

I had a big family of coons living under a shed.
County said I could shoot them but I could not trap and relocate them.
I left them alone, they left me alone and eventually they moved on.
Now a family of skunks have moved under the shed.
Mom and 4 little ones.
So far we get along OK so I'll leave them alone too.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I'm a softy if I can't eat or use it and this time of year the hides aren't much good.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 PM

Don't have much use for rabies either. To me coons are just big rats.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:15 AM

The trouble with trapping and relocating those varmints is that it's like dipping a bucket in the lake to remove some water. The hole it leaves in the lake doesn't last very long.

The reason the chicken crossed the road was to show the raccoons it can be done.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Don't have much use for rabies either. To me coons are just big rats.
If rabies were a problem around here I would agree with you.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:18 PM

I'd be far more concerned of rabies in skunks then in a raccoon. At least on a percentage basis, I'd say there are far more skunks infected then raccoons.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:22 PM

Yes.... A much larger percent of reported/documented incidents of rabies are going to be in skunks rather than racoons... I don't know what it is in the differences between the two animals that lets this happen, but it seems to.
--
This not being my very first rodeo.... I do take precautions in relocation as to on the far side of a lake a mile wide and 10 miles long... Across a busy state freeway, and busy county highway... "Road Pizza".......

It is unlikely they will beat me home... But if they do come back... I'm NOT going to make it easy for them...
--
Yes... Removal of an animal does create a space/territory for another animal to fill... But it hopefully takes some time for this to happen... If it does.. I will deal with that situation as it comes...

Take care...
Old 06-18-2015, 12:45 AM

A couple years ago I was having problems with raccoons and my suet feeders. I put a live trap under the suet feeder. Relocated 4 of those varmits, of course I relocated them with my .22 once they were in the trap.

Nebraska may have gotten rid of their death penalty, but it's still in affect at my house.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:44 PM

I used to be a shoot whatever was around the house guy but I guess I have gotten either less motivated or soft. There are foxes in the brush pile across the road, haven't bothered me so I leave them alone. Raccoons are in the yard pretty much nightly but about the only trouble they cause is the noise the dogs make barking at them. About the only thing I shoot out of the yard anymore is squirrels and that is because they taste good fried...
Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 PM

Small update....
Went to the closes village earlier this morning for an errand...
There were 3 "road pizza" on the road... Two were definitely racoon, the other I suspect was also... Other around the township are reporting problems with them and much higher sightings... It must be the year of the racoon here...

Fried squirrel..... Mmmmmmm... Entirely different subject actually....
Unfortunately around here, even though red squirrels are technically a game animal and not common, I do consider them a destructive rodent in the same class as chipmunks and ground hogs... My experience has been they are too destructive to tolerate... And depending on the animal in question, I exercise what control methods need implemented at the moment....

Fox across the road... I suppose it is possible if they are not used to causing a problem with anything on your property, they won't... Once they do cause a problem, my response would be no limits to the rules of engagement.... KnowwhatImean...

Good luck...
Old 06-19-2015, 03:47 PM

Nearly all the road kill around here are armadillo or sometimes possum with occasional skunk and only rarely coon.