BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default CA. Water and Elete....

http://news.yahoo.com/drought-versus...213352769.html
==
Somewhere there are other threads and posts about CA. water problems..

Here is another story about CA. water problems...
And like predicted.... Many rich people there are raising a fuss about making the changes required by the state and others to deal with the problems..

One homeowner landscaped for minimal water use.. The homeowners association demanded he change it back to maintain there theme of "luxury living" or close to that..

Some residents feeling extra costs and fines for using excess water are just the price of living there... More than capable and willing to pay what ever the cost may be to maintain there life style... Obviously not willing to be "inconvenienced".....

Facts, details, thoughts ???
Old 06-19-2015, 06:24 AM

California is an unusual place. The first time I visited there, I was shocked by the fact folks were washing the sidewalks (I think I mentioned that before). Water was being piped into the desert from Northern CA at significant expense so people could wash the concrete. Farmers (who themselves waste an incredible amount of water in open irrigation ditches and other ways) are required to restrict water use, but there is no restriction on draining and filling swimming pools, of which there are many. If Southern Californians lived like Israelis, I don't think there would be a water problem.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM

Like the fat guy who claims he's not overweight, just too short for his weight, there's plenty of water in CA, just too many people to use it. Our planet isn't overpopulated, except in local areas. That SW desert wasn't intended to have so many people living there.

I'm wondering when they'll wise up and start desalinization plants like the Israelis. They now have excess water there and are selling it to the Arabs.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering when they'll wise up and start desalinization plants like the Israelis
Never

Desalination costs too much

Israel has a hair over 8 million people

There are half that many in Los Angeles alone
Old 06-19-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Never

Desalination costs too much
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination#Economics

5-10 gal for one penny. Lower costs with economy of scale. More expensive than exploiting natural fresh water sources, but when you live in a desert whadaya gunna do?
Old 06-19-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
5-10 gal for one penny.
I'm pretty sure that's just the cost of producing that one gallon, and not getting it to where it's needed, in the quantities required
Quote:
"Indeed, one needs to lift the water by 2,000 m (6,600 ft), or transport it over more than 1,600 km (990 mi) to get transport costs equal to the desalination costs.

Thus, it may be more economical to transport fresh water from somewhere else than to desalinate it
Israel only supplies water to about as many people as are in just LA.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:56 AM

But everything the Israelis do reflects more efficient water usage. They invented subsurface trickle irrigation. I allowed them to make the desert bloom and produce all kinds of produce. The population is not relevant in this respect...they just don't waste fresh water like the Californians do. California agriculture probably wastes more water than the nation of Israel uses every year. Water has always been essentially free to the California farmers--the gov't supplies it--so efficiency isn't a priority, ease of use is. It's not just the Angelinos who are to blame, it is the entire state (except possibly those folks north of the Bay area).
Old 06-20-2015, 10:02 AM

People never cease to amaze me -

Buy a house on a dirt road and complain about the dust.

Buy a house below sea level and complain about the flooding.

Buy a house in the desert and complain about the lack of water.

It amazes me that so many millions(?) of people live in that California area who depend on such an extensive pipe line for their water.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
It's not just the Angelinos who are to blame
No one is blaming them

I used their population as an illustration that the problems in CA are far larger than the situation in Israel, making comparisons moot, and the solutions won't be as easy.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:50 PM

Just so everyone understands 80% of the water useage in California is for agriculture. So this stuff about the elite is way off the mark .

Re desalination. - what ever the cost is - when it's the only source the price looks pretty good I suspect. Supply and demand again!!
I
Old 06-21-2015, 05:40 PM

Drought & water restrictions will cost CA $2.7 in lost Ag production and 18,000 jobs this year.
http://www.thecountrytoday.com/farm/...3b9d832aa.html
Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 AM

Yes..... The way ag water is used in CA is very wasteful..... There has been little done to require more efficient use for a very long time...

Are the elite being wasteful ?? Of course... That is just one of a number of things that have contributed to the entire picture... Regardless of what percent this or that particular sector of the population contributes to the total problem....

For instance water storage and transport there seems like a lot of other public use items... Like roads, bridges, power, gas transportation, you name it.. Not enough gets done (because no one wants to be responsible for spending the money) to maintain and/or improve these systems beyond the bare minimum to get by... Let alone build to the needs of the future... Because it COSTS.....

My 2 cents...