BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:17 PM

Default September 2015

Over the past few months I have seen more and more articles related to issues supposedly coming up in September 2015. At first it was mostly on the survival blogs, but over the past month there have been many articles on the major news outlets by people who should be knowledgeable about financial, investment and banking information. Stories related to the global market and banking problems are showing up every day now.

With this in mind, I decided to do a little extra before the end of August, such as topping off my 500 gal LP tank, restocking some of the depleted items in my cellar and in general stashing a little more money then I usually do in the safe between now and then.

Question is, am I the only one who's a little spooked and taking a few extra steps before September 1st?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I don't know about the month of September, but I know the Euro is on shaky ground, Greece is a problem for the rest of Europe, and the stock market is overvalued by a lot. Mortgages are becoming a problem again, and credit card debt and student loan debt is getting to a dangerous point. China is on the brink of financial collapse, and a lot of knowledgeable folks are wondering why the Chinese economy has not already "corrected". It never hurts to be prepared. If nothing happens, you simply use the stuff you have stored.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Master Pontificator

Your not alone AJK. We've been hearing the same things revolving around Sept, but not sure why Sept. I was in the bank twice in the last month when other people were trying to take out some of their money and were told they couldn't have that much. They weren't asking for obscene amounts either, like $3-4,000 is all. Then the cashier called two other branches in the area to see if they could help and they couldn't give them the cash either. So what's up with that? I know banks are not required to keep that much money on hand, but these were reasonable requests, I thought.

This all makes me nervous. I'm stocking up in the pantry and with animal feed. Buying any clothes we may need for winter and putting them away, etc. I always keep the cars full and make sure there's fuel for the tractors, mowers and log splitters. We are also keeping more cash on hand, just in case.

Just trying to be prepared for....whatever!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 PM

I have not heard any thing on Sept. But been planning to stock some basic stuff then as go in to the doctor in Sept. Cost of trip I need to do that. 180 mile round trip. Things I use all the time. Might not get back to Sam's and City Market for another 6 months. Stuff high in this little town.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:12 AM

Propaganda and media hype - this is why I never read/view any news.

The financial doomsday has been lurking in paranoid minds for many years.

As a rule we always have 1 year worth of fuel on hand and 6 months worth of food stuffs. This is not because of pending financial doom - it's just the way it is when you live in the boonies.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Default Why the Paranoia

I think these fears are totally unfounded. They've been going on as long as I can remember. So many people think that end times is on the horizon. Predictions are ongoing. I think it's a basic human thought pattern. It makes us believe that we have "meaning" in our lives. So many of these people do little of value with their lives. I mean really - why concern oneself with environmental issues, if the world is going to be destroyed by a meteor tomorrow.

Although more "out there", I view the kind of concerns that you expressed in the same vein.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:41 PM

I haven't been paying attention to the news. Lately it all seems to say "The sky is falling! AAAHHH!" and then they said "They made a deal, so now everything is OK". Greece is a good example: crisis happen regularly and repeatedly.

I think the news is hyping things up.

That being said, I am a prepper in a small way. Because life is unpredictable. Job losses happen, blizzards and ice storms happen, and I like the security of having a full pantry, battery lights, and a stack of wood for the fireplace.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
That being said, I am a prepper in a small way. Because life is unpredictable. Job losses happen, blizzards and ice storms happen, and I like the security of having a full pantry, battery lights, and a stack of wood for the fireplace.
Exactly my thoughts as well - that mentality has saved us a few times over the years. Plus it just feels good to have everything fully stocked.

As far as banks I don't know why anyone would trust having any money in a bank the way things are right now. Cash is king.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 AM

Unhappy Hot point month

IMO September is a hot point month used to get everyone to recall 911. It's a rally cry for government and those who profit off of the fear "IT CAN HAPPEN IF" we don't do this and that. In short we need more money for everyone one but the people to protect you from ???? the next invasion.

SCOTUS and Zero including the special peoples parades blew this 4th of July for the regular folks.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:58 AM

The hype about Sept probably has to do with the fact that that's the next time the Fed meets to set interest rates and the slow summer vacation is over on Wall Street. With the economy appearing, at least superficially, to be "improving" [we in the real world know it isn't] the speculation is that rates will rise. That will put a halt to any small growth we've seen lately and stocks are liable to crash.

Probably most of us here are probably always in Semper Paratus mode anyways, so a new threat doesn't change our course much.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:22 PM

Like Terri said plus here I could be too ill to go the days bus goes. In Dec we were told the senior bus would not run for about two weeks. For us that do not drive any more. We got stuff ahead. If bad storm that day bus does not run to city. It goes for medical and shopping 3 times month on set days. .

I am not worried what will happened Sept.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Default Either way

I've read some books that outline very clearly why Sept. is zero hour. Who knows? Either way, I don't think the economy is anywhere as stable as we think - and it can't hurt to prepare at least minimally for a short term disruption. Long term preparation & self reliance is way beyond my means.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Haven't we been thru this before with end of the Mayan calender ?

Google sept 2015 and you get everything from zombie runs in Helsinki to guareteed ( by Isaac Newton) Astroid hit.

Get a grip !

Last edited by MissouriFree; 07-07-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM

But remember...one day the wolf will actually show up after everyone has decided "he" isn't coming! Best to always be prepared but not paranoid.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:12 PM

If for no other reason than natural dissasters or personalfinancial issues!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 PM

September is always looked at with anxiety since it the stock market seems to correct frequently in the Fall. That is when the '29 Crash occurred. I think the crash of the '80s occurred in October.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:06 PM

got in the mail today the third mail out in the last month forecasting a "bloody September". Common denominator is that all are selling investment reports, and promising in addition to lots of "free goodies" foolproof methods of beating the coming bear. Most hint at the Sept Fed meeting as the doomsday device, but since the fed has been making noise about raising interest rates (finally) if they do, it should not be a surprise for anyone.

Like a lot of you here, I live on a fixed income, and "prep" as a hedge against that income not covering all the bases. Large garden, chickens and goats help keep me out of the grocery stores, and allow my cash flow to spread out ever so much further. If some sort of event, financial, natural or political, does happen, I would hope that my efforts over the past 4-5 years will see me through.

As an old "eagle scout", I'd much rather be prepared for something that doesn't happen than unprepared for something that does. Particularly if that preparation makes plain old day to day living a lot more comfortable.

JVC
Old 07-08-2015, 10:17 PM

It has a lot to do with the Jewish calendar. This is the year of jubilee and it ends in September. At least that's what we've been told. We are trying to get a little cash put back in an emergency fund and also going to try to stock up on groceries/staple items. Yes, we definitely feel something is coming but not sure what. And what happened today with China & the NYSE doesn't help.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 PM

It wouldn't take many more events like today's NYSE to really spook investors - given the mess in Greece and China
Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 PM

It is harder on us as we get older. Few first aid things , I have that all done. I only have simple things. Half mile to the ER, and pharmacy and pharmacy closes weekends and when opened Monday did not have what I needed. They ordered and got Tues. I had no large 2 x 4 band aids in my first aid stuff and neither did my son. $3.67 here and $1 in Vernal. So I have extra boxes, Gave son one box for his first aid stuff, I hope never use. My mother would not keep first aid stuff. She would save a wore out pillow case and some times when needed for bandage not even that. So guess why as I got older and farther out.

Next is to get vitamins stocked for this winter that I take.