BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Livestock/Horses

Livestock/Horses Cows, sheep, pigs, goats, llamas, and other four-legged friends.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Default We rescued a calf from Starvation

Hi Folks, last year we had a three day old calf die ( in fact I posted it and got loads of much appreciated replies on this forum) well that same Cow calved and we kept a close eye on her and found out that she just did not have enough milk to supply her new baby calf for long. We put both Mom and new calf in enclosure and have been bottle feeding this little calf with Milk Replacer for Calves. Well that was a week ago and the calf has been doing fine and seems to be growing faster that we can feed her. We followed the instructions on the bag and we are wonder what,if anything we can do to build her up. She seems to poop a lot and is mustard colored. Its not runny like it was,but its more smooth and in one piece. Is that normal poop for a calf? I researched online to see what to expect and I can't find what satisfies me..She has also started to nibble on grass we have growing in the enclosure and we give her small bits of newly bailed hay and she plays more with that than actually eats. She runs around with her tail in the air,so I don't think she is suffering,but Im just concerned about the poop part. We have a small pail of water too for her to drink, she just sticks her nose in it..she is so cute. My husband told me not to get too attached, but Iv already named her
"Little Red", her Mom was just Red.I just love this Forum, it has been a God send for me especially...Thanks in advance...
Old 06-25-2015, 09:16 PM

Sounds like a touch of scours yet. You have a couple of choices, one is the old fashioned trick (I use it) of two raw eggs and a cup of molasses down the hatch or two, cut back on the milk replacer for a day and feed straight calf electrolyte. I always supply a high protein grain mix and for a new calf, I sprinkle a touch of powdered sugar over it in the pail.

Ted
Old 06-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Sounds pretty normal to me. The light color is because right now she's on a milk diet. Keep hay/grass in front of her and eventually her playing with it will become eating. I wouldn't think she has scours based on your description, but keep an eye on her.

Hope you have better luck with this calf. Unfortunately the homesteading learning curve can be pretty steep, as you know. Good luck with Little Red!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

The stools are normal for a young nursing animal.
If you can find raw cows milk, that would be the best thing for the calf

If not, whole milk from the store is far better than any replacer.

Don't go mixing up any concoctions that will lead to stomach problems, and any dietary changes should be gradual
Old 06-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
If not, whole milk from the store is far better than any replacer.
Clueless. Obviously stated by an individual who has not raised bottle calves for a living.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_ALIEN View Post
Clueless. Obviously stated by an individual who has not raised bottle calves for a living.
Yeah, cause we all know the real thing is far worse than powdered replacements.

You're the one who thinks yellow stool in a nursing calf is a problem.

Just because you claim to have done something doesn't mean you did it right
Old 06-30-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Yeah, cause we all know the real thing is far worse than powdered replacements.

You're the one who thinks yellow stool in a nursing calf is a problem.

Just because you claim to have done something doesn't mean you did it right
With an average loss of 2.7 per hundred head and a supplier that kept coming back I suppose I muddled through passably ok....

And ps, yellow is not good and indicates possible scours and feed mismanagement. A brownish/yellow plop is more correct and indicates a proper balance of milk and grains as well as an indicator that rumens development is progressing nicely.

But then again I don't know what I am talking about.

Ted
Old 07-01-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
And ps, yellow is not good and indicates possible scours and feed mismanagement. A brownish/yellow plop is more correct and indicates a proper balance of milk and grains as well as an indicator that rumens development is progressing nicely.
One more time, yellow (I'm not quibbling with you over the precise shades) is normal for a calf that young, and any "feed mismanagement" is from the replacer since the calf isn't old enough to digest anything else.

Powdered sugar and eggs are the LAST thing I'd give a calf that's only weeks old, and not really eating anything yet

Quote:
But then again I don't know what I am talking about.
On this point we are in agreement
Old 07-01-2015, 10:42 AM

You are wrong and not intelligent enough to walk away.

The calf needs the protien from the eggs and it is a very common trick with those that do this as a cash crop. Your refusal to accept this simply shows that you have no experience with calf feed management.

A sprinkle of powdered sugar over high quality grain mix makes it a little more palatable to a calf thus getting them to eat sooner in turn speeding up rumens development.

You have made it quite clear you are clueless on the topic of bovine development and I hope no readers take your hobby level advice as actual knowledge.

Done with this topic and the idiots it brings out.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Can't we all just get along?

Actually both of yuse are right - BFF maybe generalizing a little and GA giving us more details. It's not so much the color of stools that differentiates scours from normal as it is the frequency & consistency.

The albumin in eggs is a simple and easily digested protein, even for an immature GI tract. Maybe BFF exaggerated in calling store milk "better" than artificially produced, but scientifically formulated milk replacer.

There's more than one way to skin a calf... or feed a cat.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
A sprinkle of powdered sugar over high quality grain mix makes it a little more palatable to a calf thus getting them to eat sooner in turn speeding up rumens development.
A week old calf isn't able to digest grains, and this one does not have "scours" going by the OP's description

Before you start calling others "clueless" or "idiot", you should stop acting that way yourself

Quote:
Done with this topic and the idiots it brings out.
LOL
I don't believe that either.
Put me on ignore before you make a liar of yourself
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 AM

Gosh Guys, I didn't mean to start world war three... I only asked a simple question.... well, fast forward, Little Red is still a bit thin but no runny poop and eats little blades of grass and hay and runs around with the tail up in the air... I got a lot of great advise from you all, and I will remember it for the future, and that is why I love this site.. all the different experienced people all in one place... You guys are the best...Thanks...
Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Gosh Guys, I didn't mean to start world war three...
There's no war. Some just have few manners It's not the first time he's had a tantrum

Glad to hear there are no scours and the calf is doing well.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Master Pontificator

Glad to hear the calf is doing well. Send us some pictures of the little trouble maker, if you can!
Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Thanks everyone. So happy I have here to come for help and advise and I will try getting some photos of Little Red...