BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
we have no way to report it since without power our phone doesn't work.
Coaltrain, I still have an old phone that does not need power. I keep it in a drawer and when the power goes out I plug it into the phone line and call the power company. Of course that is assuming you still have a landline, which most people don't.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Coaltrain, I still have an old phone that does not need power. I keep it in a drawer and when the power goes out I plug it into the phone line and call the power company. Of course that is assuming you still have a landline, which most people don't.
Our land line is coiled up at the base of the pole toward the road - tree limb took it out many years ago. I have no idea if the line along the road is still active or not.

It has happened already in the past where after day 2 or 3 we went to town and called the power company. They had no report of our power being out. They were quick in coming out and getting it back on but it goes to show that unless it is a regional outage it needs to be reported somehow.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 AM

I take it your internet and phone come by satellite then if lack of power prevents you from calling.

Couldn't you plug that into an inverter attached to a 12 volt battery so you could make a phone call.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 PM

I live in a very rural area. Most folks around here keep the pantry stocked for one to two weeks of food stuff, dried and canned foods.
The spare stand up freezer is stocked with a pig from last year and half a deer.
I have a camp stove and a few gallons of camp fuel. But the stove is multi-fuel set up and can run everything from whitegas, to rape, to diesel.
The French Press solves the coffee issue, a top priority.
We can get water from the pond. I have two different types of water filtration devices, one pump, on gravity fed.
Lighters, matches, and two of those steel and flints. Candles, flashlights, even a oil lamp with oil.
A few decks of cards, plenty of books to read.
The only real modern appliance I might miss is music. I do have one of those solar/hand crank radios, with a built in phone charger, and flashlight. I keep it in the window.
Things get real bad, could always slaughter a rabbit or two. I think I would keep the chickens for egg production. Pigs are not nearly big enough to justify slaughtering them now.
Lately I have found fresh deer tracks, and saw two turkeys the other day.
The garden is doing pretty well, with a second set of seedlings going in their trays.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
I take it your internet and phone come by satellite then if lack of power prevents you from calling.

Couldn't you plug that into an inverter attached to a 12 volt battery so you could make a phone call.
Our phone is VoIP which goes over the cable internet line. The cable lines run on the same poles and the power lines so if a power line comes down so does the cable line.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Me Understands..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
And I love how 12V man continues to rub it in. Yes I am jealous, got a spoiled wife I love a bunch who loves her creature comforts. She does not stop me from playing with solar and enjoys the fans from 12volts in our out building she is not ready to go all the way.
I wasn't married when I started all of this. Went through a few women with the thought of WOW! This is COOL! It's like campin' all of the time! ~6 months later, just about fire wood chuckin' time, the story changes..

All of 'um tried to citify me. Didn't work. Things like.. "When are ya gonna drill a water well?" or "Are ya gonna put a furnace in here?" "I don't like carryin' that bucket! Are you ever gonna put a normal toilet in here". I'll never understand them being vindictive when they left. I didn't hide anything. They just wanted to change me.. (Sorry, Ladies)

Made for an excellent woman filter. Gots me one now that understands that this is my life and it ain't gonna change until I can't do it anymore! For my gift of appreciation, I got her a 5000 BTU window air conditioner for her and the dogs she brought with her for the very hot days. (Which is rare) And, she only gits a tank of gas worth of comfort. (~3.5 hrs. on the back-up genny) I MITE be inna good mood and fill it again..

It ain't all that bad out here. I have internet and a 74" projection TV/DVD player in my living room and a 19" TV/DVD with stereo sound on a swing arm above the bed. (Select Comfort) SiriusXM with Bluetooth that covers the house. Even gots me an electric shower! (D.C. actuated water valve) Uses a pull chain switch. No more crankin' onna valve. Water temperature adjusted at the tankless water heater.. (No Inverter Involved With Any Of The Above) Yeah, I live inna purdy nice cave..
*Robert Frost*
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 AM
Master Pontificator

Power out... earthquake knocked it out for two weeks. High winds.... four days last time. Hurricane can be gone for few weeks to a over a month. It is one thing I have had to deal with. Generator is good if your rich and can afford the gas or even get gas? Most disaster gas is one first things not to be able to get, ....watch the tons of videos in disaster areas and what they talk about. I got rid of mine, maintenance plus our gas is high....was not worth it. I got solar dehydrator and a smoker for freezer meats and foods. I got battery lights and solar emergency lights and keep a stocked battery drawer. Cooking propane, liquid can cookers, wood, B-Q bricks, and few other resources. Outrageous heat....water storage and battery run fans. I have marine coolers to keep food in that is not super perishable. Water can be used from rainwater system if need it,.... hot water.....solar camp showers or the bucket of hot water from the camp stove.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:34 AM

Default power outages

It's been a very long time since we've even blinked the lights here. But none the less, I have 1200 watts of solar power, which charges 12 deep cycle batteries. The deep freeze is run from that power, but when it's sunny, I also run the fridge too. (why pay for the power when you can get it for free from the sun). Also have 25 gallons of gas, which I rotate to keep fresh. As a backup to the solar, I have 5000 watt generator.
Cooking can be done on Coleman dual fuel stoves, and/or propane camp stoves, also the gas grill. (I have 5 20# LP tanks, which last a LONG time)

I can also run the furnace off the solar array. In Minnesota, heat is kinda important - at least 6 months of the year.

We have rain barrels which can be used for water (have water purifiers), or we could melt snow in the winter time.

Thanks for staring this thread, I loved reading everyone's posts.