BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 PM

When you get pulled over, the officer will know from his computer if you have a permit. In my State, you are not required to tell the officer if you are carrying unless they ask you if you are carrying.
Personally, I have nothing against the permit. Here, we have to go through a two day class and a hands on day at the range. If you pass the class, you can get your permit. It just gives you a better idea of how the laws work if you have to use your weapon to defend yourself, etc. The class also proves that you know how to handle a weapon, and are familiar with gun safety.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineID View Post
I've never understood the need for concealed carry permits. After all, if my sidearm is concealed, who am I bothering? I'm not scaring anyone. I'm not threatening anyone. I'm going about my business and they are going about theirs. Seems to me, if you want to "permit people" (I don't), you should permit those who want to open carry as in, "Excuse me ma'am, do you have a permit to be displaying that weapon out in the open like that?" Anyone want to explain to me?
I look at it as away that the Government knows where the guns are
Old 07-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
When you get pulled over, the officer will know from his computer if you have a permit. In my State, you are not required to tell the officer if you are carrying unless they ask you if you are carrying.
Personally, I have nothing against the permit. Here, we have to go through a two day class and a hands on day at the range. If you pass the class, you can get your permit. It just gives you a better idea of how the laws work if you have to use your weapon to defend yourself, etc. The class also proves that you know how to handle a weapon, and are familiar with gun safety.
I like how the State of Idaho requires this class to attain the CCW permit. It will mean that there are less novices packing heat on the street. The OP wanted a reason behind the permit process. This is reason enough.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I like how the State of Idaho requires this class to attain the CCW permit. It will mean that there are less novices packing heat on the street. The OP wanted a reason behind the permit process. This is reason enough.
Doesn't make sense - you can open carry in Idaho without any class at all.

The CCP class just continues the discrepancy. You'd think you'd want those who are open carrying to have a class so they can do so without causing alarm among the general public.

I'm not in favor of registration either, BTW.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I know what you're saying, Jjr. As I've said here many times before, the most likely SHTF scenario will occur when the welfare checks stop coming in the mail. Then, you must be able to produce your own food and be able to defend that source, if you are to survive. At that time, the remnant govt forces, maybe even acting independently of central command, will use those registration records to help secure their own power & control.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
While I have no facts I was under the opinion of the same here in Pa. The main reason for a CCW is so that an LEO who pulls you over or responds to a domestic issue can know ahead of time if anyone involved has a CCW.

It's been many years since I had a CCW but when I did get one there was no course or training involved. The application when to the local sheriff's office who had 10 days to respond - if no response from him it just went through automatically. When I did my application I got a call from the Sheriff a few days later to come in and get my permit. He just had a couple things to say about not waving the gun around in a bar and stuff like that.

When buying a hand gun here the process is the same as a rifle - generic background check (with no model/serial numbers) and out the door you go within 10 minutes.

Since I rarely leave the homestead anymore I have no need for a CCW. But I do need to brush up on the laws about having a gun in my vehicle. As far as I know you can't have a loaded gun in your vehicle - maybe that is where a CCW comes in handy as it would be permitted.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

When buying a hand gun here the process is the same as a rifle - generic background check (with no model/serial numbers) and out the door you go within 10 minutes.
Really?!?!?! We bought bullets and it was nearly 30 minutes while they did the background check ... on bullets! Imagine if we were buying a gun!

We also recently bought TIPS for our archery arrows. TIPS! They were target tips, not even hunting tips. We had to show ID.

It is getting ridiculous out there!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Really?!?!?! We bought bullets and it was nearly 30 minutes while they did the background check ... on bullets! Imagine if we were buying a gun!

We also recently bought TIPS for our archery arrows. TIPS! They were target tips, not even hunting tips. We had to show ID.

It is getting ridiculous out there!
Who does background checks on ammo?

Background checks on ammo, & ID required for archery supplies, I think I would find a new place to shop! That is not ridiculous, it is asinine.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I resisted getting involved in this thread for quite a while, and I certainly don't want to start an argument, but that's just not quite right Lurch. The various Idaho County Sheriffs are the ones who decide whether or not a person needs to take a class before the Sheriff issues him or her a regular Concealed Weapons Permit. While the class is "usually" required, it's not always required. It's different though for the Idaho Enhanced Concealed Weapons Permits, which do require a $150, 8-hour class.

The County Sheriff where we live saw fit to issue my wife a regular Concealed Weapons Permit without the class because my wife competed for 3 years in sanctioned IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association) competitions. He saw fit to issue my regular Concealed Weapons Permit without the class because I spent a while sitting behind an M-60 in the back door of a helicopter.

I could wax on about the woman up there in Northern Idaho with the Concealed Weapons Permit who left her 9mm Glock in her purse with her 2-year old child in a shopping cart in Walmart. Or I could write about how the ISU College Professor with an Enhanced Concealed Carry Permit shot himself in the foot on campus. But like I said - I don't want to argue. I'm just stating a fact - people seeking regular Idaho Concealed Carry Permits are usually required to take a class, but not always. You can look it up on the Idaho State Attorney General Office website if you want.

Last edited by MtnManJim; 07-05-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
Who does background checks on ammo?

Background checks on ammo, & ID required for archery supplies, I think I would find a new place to shop! That is not ridiculous, it is asinine.
It isn't the store. I don't know if it is a state or federal law, but we run into that no matter where we shop.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:16 PM

There is no federal law for sure. and As far as I know the only states that do it are New York and maybe California .
Old 07-05-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
There is no federal law for sure. and As far as I know the only states that do it are New York and maybe California .
Well, I live in Mississippi.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnManJim View Post
I resisted getting involved in this thread for quite a while, and I certainly don't want to start an argument, but that's just not quite right Lurch. The various Idaho County Sheriffs are the ones who decide whether or not a person needs to take a class before the Sheriff issues him or her a regular Concealed Weapons Permit. While the class is "usually" required, it's not always required. It's different though for the Idaho Enhanced Concealed Weapons Permits, which do require a $150, 8-hour class.

The County Sheriff where we live saw fit to issue my wife a regular Concealed Weapons Permit without the class because my wife competed for 3 years in sanctioned IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association) competitions. He saw fit to issue my regular Concealed Weapons Permit without the class because I spent a while sitting behind an M-60 in the back door of a helicopter.

I could wax on about the woman up there in Northern Idaho with the Concealed Weapons Permit who left her 9mm Glock in her purse with her 2-year old child in a shopping cart in Walmart. Or I could write about how the ISU College Professor with an Enhanced Concealed Carry Permit shot himself in the foot on campus. But like I said - I don't want to argue. I'm just stating a fact - people seeking regular Idaho Concealed Carry Permits are usually required to take a class, but not always. You can look it up on the Idaho State Attorney General Office website if you want.
Bonner County, ID- I had to show a copy of my DD214 for the regular CCW. To get the enhanced CCW, I took the NRA self defense in the home class. One person failed the class (safety violation). I was once pulled over by a LEO for a routine traffic stop while carrying. There was no problem encountered during this stop.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks Lurch. I've been considering the enhanced version CCW the next time I renew. That the NRA offers a self defense in the home class that qualifies for the required class for an Idaho enhanced CCW is good to know. I'd be more inclined to take something like that rather than the usual class that every Tom, Dick and Harry around here plops down $150 for just so they can carry a gun on Idaho State University's campus.

Last year, I too had a routine traffic stop while I had a concealed weapon under the seat of my pickup truck. There was no problem for me either. In fact, it was kind of funny because I managed to confuse the State Trooper when I handed him my CCW along with my driver's license as he walked up to my window. You see, the wife and I were on our way back home from deer hunting, and we had our deer rifles in plain sight, on the seat between us. The trooper looked at my CCW, and in one breath said; "Have you got any weapons in there why are you showing me this those things aren't concealed are those things loaded?" Calmly, I told him; "No, those rifles aren't loaded, but the .44 I have under the seat is." He said something to the effect that as long as he didn't see the .44 he didn't have a problem with it. Then he gave me a warning about driving 72 mph in a 65 zone and sent us on our way.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Well, I live in Mississippi.

I do not live in Mississippi, I do buy ammo in Mississippi and have never done anything except lay my ammo on the counter, hand them cash and walk out the door. There are no restrictions or a background check required for the purchase of ammo in the state of Mississippi.

Not sure where you were purchasing ammo but I would not shop there again.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Doesn't make sense - you can open carry in Idaho without any class at all.

The CCP class just continues the discrepancy. You'd think you'd want those who are open carrying to have a class so they can do so without causing alarm among the general public.

I'm not in favor of registration either, BTW.
Having the gun owners take a class won't alleviate any fears others may have

The permit system makes sure there is at least some minimal training, especially on the use-of -force laws.

20 years ago concealed carry was still illegal in a lot of states, so even with permits it's improved.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Having the gun owners take a class won't alleviate any fears others may have

The permit system makes sure there is at least some minimal training, especially on the use-of -force laws.

20 years ago concealed carry was still illegal in a lot of states, so even with permits it's improved.
You see, that gets to the heart of my original question! WHY? Why was carrying concealed ever illegal? No one even knows you have the gun on you! Why make that illegal? Why a permit? If carrying concealed was deemed legal, then why permit the activity especially when carrying out in the open (which, apparently, scares the bejezzas out of everyone) is just fine - no class, no permit, etc.

WHY? Why does carrying concealed require a permit?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
You see, that gets to the heart of my original question! WHY? Why was carrying concealed ever illegal? No one even knows you have the gun on you! Why make that illegal? Why a permit? If carrying concealed was deemed legal, then why permit the activity especially when carrying out in the open (which, apparently, scares the bejezzas out of everyone) is just fine - no class, no permit, etc.

WHY? Why does carrying concealed require a permit?
To show that you are competent to do so.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
To show that you are competent to do so.
That makes no sense. Wouldn't you have to be MORE competent to open carry?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense. Wouldn't you have to be MORE competent to open carry?
I don't understand your logic on this point. Could you please explain why someone would need to be more competent to open carry vs. concealed carry? Along a similar vein- why do we need to have an expensive permit to own a suppressor? I don't know why this is, but I will jump through the hoops nonetheless.