BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:29 PM

Amen Coaltrain. I hope we can be half as successful as you and yours. We have such a ways to go but I think we're going to enjoy it.

We are putting the Tacoma up for sale. Hoping to get about $9500.00 for it and buy an older Jeep Cherokee and trailer and maybe keep a couple grand for some building materials to get started.

Will continue to keep everyone posted. Nothing would please me more than to show others that if a couple of goofy back-east people can live out here, anyone can do it. And can do it anywhere really. We Americans have let ourselves believe the American dream is in accumulating things and status. Boy, what a lie that has been but only myself to blame if I fell for all that.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Always have your goal (end game) in mind but enjoying the journey is the best part! You'll be surprised how well it comes together for you now and the enjoyment that each little improvement gives you.

I have a memory full of just that journey. While the end result is fantastic I would never have missed the trials and tribulations of getting here. Try to enjoy every minute of it!
Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
... While the end result is fantastic I would never have missed the trials and tribulations of getting here. Try to enjoy every minute of it!
Thanks Coaltrain. I needed to hear that. Semper Fi!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Master Pontificator

Congratulations on your purchase and good luck with selling your Tacoma. It should sell easily, Toyota Tacoma's are very much in demand in good used condition here.

And may you plans begin to develop & take shape very nicely & quickly.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 PM

So far so good, Jjr! We closed on the property today. My brother is visiting from Georgia this week and we took him out to have a look. He is a builder who works in the upstate South Carolina area -- Greenville mainly. He suggests we build with a slab. It appears that for Park County only monolithic slabs or footers are allowed as foundation types for new building permits (as it says "without additional engineering"). I am leaning towards footers since I feel like I can do the work myself.

My brother does not seem to believe that my wife and I can do this alone So, he's thinking we need to enlist the help of some builders and even a project manager. I tried explaining to him that if we do that, the costs go way up and goes against what we're actually trying to do here. The goal is to do as much of the work as we possibly can and come in somewhere between $15k and $20k to finish off a fully permitted dwelling place. Mainly, the goal being we have built everything needed and owe nothing except property taxes after 2-4 years. Of course, though, I think he's "looking out for me" and doesn't want us to become disappointed. He's been something of a work-with-your-hands guy while I have concentrated on working in software. So, I can kind of understand his concern.

At any rate, we are cleaning up the truck (Toyota Tacoma) this weekend and during next week. Then, get it sold, buy something like a used Jeep Cherokee (need a 4x4) and get ourselves a trailer to haul things with. In two weekends we're going to go out and camp on the property for Fri-Sun, lay out some house measurements and test the soil.

The property is in the Hartsel, Colorado area. The soil is nice and dark but somewhat rocky. The elevation is about 9500 ft. I'd be curious and willing to hear any suggestions on monolithic slab vs footers for the foundation. Our house outline should be something like 20 feet by 30 feet. Thanks very much for everyone's encouragement and advice thus far. I look forward to hearing from anyone.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 PM

Yay! Congratulations on your purchase.

Your brother sounds a little like my brother, though my brother did come around some to the idea of my husband and I purchasing acreage. People, including my brother, tell me all the time that 15 acres is "too much to take care of."
"For from him and through him and for him all things are. To him be glory forever." Romans 11:36

"In him who is the source of my strength I have strength for everything." Philippians 4:13
Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 PM

Deep South: the more the merrier, is what I say. Ours is only 5.5 acres but I'd be happy to have almost triple that

One of the things we are hoping to get done before December gets here is having a driveway cut. I asked a question about using a Bobcat vs a Dozer here: http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...252#post416252

We now have the Tacoma up for sale. We put it on Craigslist (if anyone wants to see it, feel free to PM me -- I don't want to put the link here). We've had a couple of people come by and kick the tires but nothing too serious at the moment. As soon as we can sell this, we plan to get a Jeep Cherokee (something smaller and with 4W drive) and a trailer. We'll need to be able to get into the National Forest -- the Tacoma is too big.

We also plan to start building some planting beds. I have a modest goal of having 4 of them (at least 10' x 5') ready by December. We are camping on the property this weekend -- man are we excited.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
Deep South: the more the merrier, is what I say. Ours is only 5.5 acres but I'd be happy to have almost triple that

One of the things we are hoping to get done before December gets here is having a driveway cut. I asked a question about using a Bobcat vs a Dozer here: http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...252#post416252

We now have the Tacoma up for sale. We put it on Craigslist (if anyone wants to see it, feel free to PM me -- I don't want to put the link here). We've had a couple of people come by and kick the tires but nothing too serious at the moment. As soon as we can sell this, we plan to get a Jeep Cherokee (something smaller and with 4W drive) and a trailer. We'll need to be able to get into the National Forest -- the Tacoma is too big.

We also plan to start building some planting beds. I have a modest goal of having 4 of them (at least 10' x 5') ready by December. We are camping on the property this weekend -- man are we excited.
That's awesome. Congrats on the closing. I wish we could camp on our property, but it is too heavily wooded with too much brushy undergrowth right now.

Our plans are the same as yours in that I am hoping before the end of the year we can get a culvert put in and start to cut a drive in so we can park on our own property. Our next door neighbor is kind to let us park on the edge of his driveway and walk through about twenty feet of his property to get to ours, but I don't want to push him, you know. That's not the kind of neighbor I want to be, so we are just kind of in a waiting pattern until the weather cools off some, hubby heals more from his recent surgery and we can get together funding to do the culvert and drive.

Though we have 15 acres, we plan to only develop about half the property. We will wooded area in front and about six acres will be left wooded in the back of the property. That will leave us with plenty of space for pastures, buildings and such...eventually.

5.5 acres is a nice place. You will be able to do a lot of things with it.
"For from him and through him and for him all things are. To him be glory forever." Romans 11:36

"In him who is the source of my strength I have strength for everything." Philippians 4:13
Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 AM

Deep South, I have to say, I am envious of the trees I wish we had those but it's a clear lot so to speak. We do plan to start planting some Aspens. They grow fast and can grow in bunches with little work.

We did the camping thing last weekend. We first mapped out our property as best as we could. Also, we got to map out where we think we want our house. We are wanting it to be 30'x20'. There is a small access to our property from one of the side roads -- it's about 117 feet but plenty wide enough to stake out a driveway entrance. We had both our kids out there (they're late teens about to finish high school). They actually enjoyed camping there. I was not expecting that.

You can tell the area was once a huge cow pasture area from back in the late 1800's and into the early 1900's. There are still some cattle ranchers there but the ranching is not nearly as prolific as it was some time ago. As such, there are a lot of cow patties here from the local cows coming out to eat. If you're not familiar with it, Colorado is referred to as a fence-out state. Meaning anyone's cattle can come and graze your land unless you put up a fence to keep them out. At this point, we don't mind them coming but it seems they haven't been out there in a season or more. While camping last weekend, we used the dried chips for fuel. I had never done that before but always heard they were supposed to be very good for slow burning. They worked like a charm.

As far as camping goes, the clumps of vegetation have remained while the top soil gets washed off easily leaving hard mounds to sleep on when you put up the tent and use the sleeping bag. That was the only bad thing about camping there in our big tent. Next time, we'll just bring out some cots. At any rate, we made the most of it and enjoyed camping on our own land. That's a pretty cool thing if you've never done it before. One really cool thing is that there is virtually no light pollution out there. The nearest town is Fairplay. Their population is about 950 or so. You can see all of the stars (or so you think).

We got the Toyota Tacoma sold this past Tuesday. We sold it for $8800. We then went and bought a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $5200. We found the day after we bought it that the electrical components seemed to not work. This caused lots of issues -- door components (windows, locks, mirrors) did not work. And the engine fan stopped working as well. We had a mechanic take a look and he assumed that there was something wrong with the fan solenoid. Unfortunately, they stopped making the one for this model of Jeep. So it seemed we were going to have to put an electrical fan in (instead of fixing the hydraulic one).

We took the Jeep home to think it over. My wife and I had a good look at a few things on it. Fortunately, my wife can be very stubborn. She checked the door wires and found that the grounding wire was completely cut and not touching. Looking through the inter webs, we found that this was a major problem and that it can cause all of the symptoms we were seeing. We went and bought a soldering iron and my wife fixed it for about $30.00 (I am so proud of her!). Jeep works great again. Fan works. Locks work. Windows work. Vehicle doesn't get hot anymore. Amazing how that happens. Trust me, we are not normally DIY people especially when it comes to cars. For me, a computer guy, I can say working on cars are not nearly as straightforward as working on a computer. Seems there is a lot of black magic involved. :-)

We are going to try to do a few more things to the Jeep to get it completely up to speed as best we can do. We'll see how that goes. But, for now, it runs like a champ. We drove out to Leadville today (200 mile roundtrip) to give it a good test and it passed with flying colors. Our next phase toward the homesteading thing is to put in a tow hitch (didn't come with one unfortunately) and then buy a trailer for it so we can haul wood and tools out there. I was hoping to build a shed to store tools and such but the county says we're not allowed to build a shed without already having a building permit and building project in place. I find that odd but whatever. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited by deathb4disco; 08-17-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 PM

Sometimes it pays to be stubborn. I think most people would give up trying to repair an electrical problem on a vehicle. You will probably also need to do some electrical wiring for the trailer hitch, so the trailer lights will work. But for a jeep I imagine there are tutorials online about how to do it.

Maybe you could just buy a small storage shed at Home Depot (like a garden shed). Surely you wouldn't need a building permit for that!