BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Today I cut the cost f my diabetes supplies n half

Test strips did not used to be expensive, and with insurance the meter was free. Of course when you used the meter the insurance company you had to use the test strips that went with it: the insurance company earned its money on the test strips, and I have never begrudged them that.

Until they raised the prices.

A lot.

Yesterday they told me the co-pay for the test strips would be $105, and they wanted the bottle to last for 3 months instead of 2. So. Enough already!

My new meter will arrive in the pharmacy tomorrow, and it will cost me $22 cash. The bottle of 100 test strips will cost me $58. The cost is $18 less than the co-pay for the insurance test strips alone, and I will save $50 every 3 months from now on, by using cash instead of inurance.

I had a profitable morning!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:30 PM

Default Whatever works for you.

That's a smart move. So many would just pay the $105 and move on.

I wanted to test mine ( just to find out if I was OK ) and found a meter ( with 100 strips ) for $10. I tested OK ( ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch ) and gave the meter to my brother.

They are all wanting a little more for co-pay and that's still better than the "everything is free" mentality.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:07 PM

I buy my test strips on Amazon.com
A lot cheaper and free shipping .
100 strips for $25
Old 07-22-2015, 11:11 AM

I had to cut my copays down couple years ago. Blood test every month if in range and if not have more. They were charging a copay for office visit each time. Blood thinner I take. So now I go to lab and no copay. My Ins covers that. Mine is way different but little tester and strip. Jab a finger. But I had to cut the copays. I stay on diet and still it get out of range. Had it high Monday and go back this coming Monday. I had to go buy another bottle of different size pills.

Terri you did good.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 PM

When I was inbetween insurance I used the Walmart stuff.

The meter is $16.24 and the test strips are $9 for 50 - lancets are $3.74 for 100 - the best price I found anywhere.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Pri...-Blue/20752266

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Pri...ingMethod=p13n

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Thi...ingMethod=p13n
Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Good for you Terri - I suspect the insurance company's "good deal" price was only good for so long (contractually). But I've never understood the insurance world's "penny wise but pound foolish" thinking. The better care of him/herself the insured takes, the less the insurance company pays out in claims.

But they were that way for a long time when it came to vaccinations. One day I asked a senior VP why not they efused to cover well-baby/childhood vaccines - answer was no ROI (return on investment). Times did change (thankfully).

My daughter received two vaccine shots while at college (at a very reasonable rate I might add). Insurance company would not pay for them DESPITE their combined cost was less than what our family doctor charged for one shot. However someone with common sense must have reviewed the claims (I tactfully complained) and I was reimbursed.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
But I've never understood the insurance world's "penny wise but pound foolish" thinking.
There famous for that. Another example is the new anticoagulants that are expensive and not covered by many plans: they're actually cheaper than warfarin when you add in the monthly office call and blood test.

BTW---Terri and other diabetics: if you're not on insulin and a sliding scale for dosing, you don't need to do your blood sugar daily. Just a couple times a week to make sure you're stable (or not)...and alternate AM fasting test with taking it before lunch or dinner sometimes to see what a day's worth of eating and exercise do to you.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 AM

Doc, I am a little weird in my testing. What I do is, I will feel the desire to eat something extra. So, I will test my BS to see if I can tolerate it. I did that today: I wanted a doughnut but my BS was at 120, so I decided I had better not. 120 is great but a doughnut would have pushed me way up, so I had a diet coke instead.

So, as a result I might not test for weeks but then again I might test a few times a day, on days when my willpower is weak. Or, I will break my diet and then test to see if it is high: if it is, well, I exercise a few minutes a day anyways, and if my BS is high I will do the exercise routine immediately.

My last A1c was 5.7, so I guess it is working for me.

Mostly I spoil myself with the foods that are good for me - I have several steaks that I got at a good price and I intend to grill one this weekend- and I TRY to restrict myself to just a few bites of the sweet stuff. Being a gardener helps: my cucumbers this year are to die for!

The meter and strips turned out to be lower than I was quoted: I spent $68 for both, not $86, and the insurance company would have charged me $105 for just the strips.

Last edited by Terri; 07-24-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 AM

Why would you pay $68 when you can get the same thing for $35? (meter and 100 test strips)
Old 07-24-2015, 11:34 AM

Doc
Those new blood thinners I know one that company says not for old people. On list for INS copay at $65 a month. Warfarin is $7.50 for 3 months copay. It would be nice no jabs and diet . I pay no office visit now, Ins pays lab. They now have a drug to give to kill that new blood thinner in case .

Terri,
I hate being jabbed. I stay on my diet.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
Why would you pay $68 when you can get the same thing for $35? (meter and 100 test strips)
Because I needed one now, because I had never heard of such a cheap meter, and because in my area our selection is not always that great. Some things are not sold in our area.

I have no idea if the cheaper meter is sold in our area or not, as it had not occurred to me to look.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:12 PM

I pay out-of-pocket for my stuff.

Less than $10 for the meter.

About $7.50 or less (no tax) for 50 strips.

They work great.

~Martin