BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 PM

Default A bucket-list Find

So I’m stoked. My search is over. It’s been 10 years I’ve been looking for a quality cast iron skillet. And today I found my own.

When asked what I wanted from my grandmothers belongings, I simply wanted dibs on her skillet, Nanna is alive and well of course and even after a decade later, she’s now taken that skillet with her to a seniors condo. I don’t care how long I wait, but I have this firm belief that it’s something to hand down and I wanted to make sure other relatives (whom don’t care about it) wouldn’t donate it when the time comes.

Today at the second-hand shop, I found one. I’m on cloud 9 here folks.

Mind you, I’ve found skillets before, but not like this one. Most are stamped from China, the iron is lower quality and very dimpled; a challenge to season. The score I found today is different.
It’s stamped Wagners’ 1891 Original. (which I assume is a series, I don’t think it could be that old...could it?) It hasn’t been seasoned or used much at all. Yet again I thank the heavens I live in a retirement town. check out the pictures below:

I explain to Sweetheart that there are three ways to obtain this item:
1) It’s left to you in a relatives’ will
2) You’ve searched online and purchased one for a hefty price (I’ve seen them from $40-$130, reclaimed from estate sales)
3) In my case, you get lucky. I spent $3.99 on this cast iron skillet…which is still in the best condition I’ve ever seen to date.

I’ll bet no one has been this excited over a pan. I don’t care if they’re common or rare, I'm just in love with it. In the line at the checkout, one blue-haired Betty was eyeing my find, “I see what you’ve got there. You know how to take care of that?” probably thinking to herself what’s a 20-something chick want with a classic piece of heavy black cookware.
“Yes m’am, Nanna taught me well, my entire generation likely doesn’t know how to cook with this” I was happy and polite, my tone halfway between respect and it’s mine lady.
“Yup, I’ve had mine for 36 years, wouldn’t give it up for anything” she finishes.

This has made my week. It has validated my bargain-hunting instincts, crossed a material item off my bucket list, and made my broke-ass-budget content.

Are there any physical items that you would consider "Bucket-List" stuff?

-Femmesteader

Last edited by 12vman; 07-24-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:48 PM

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...1&d=1437695239

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...1&d=1437695283
Old 07-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Master Pontificator

Congratulations on your find. And yes Ma'am old cast iron is good stuff, even new, made in the USA Lodge cast iron is still good too. Don't want no CHINA cast Iron though, or anything else from CHINA either, but so many items produced there can not be avoided.

Cast Iron pots and skillets also make excellent "attitude adjustment" instruments too! Just in case you have overlooked that possibility, for their possession.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:58 PM

Nice! Congratulations on your find femmesteader.

We have my mom's 11&3/4" iron skillet. Mom gave it to my wife and me when the arthritis in her hands made it too heavy for her to handle anymore. I don't know how old it is, but I'm 67 and I can't remember mom not having it when I was growing up. I don't know what brand it is either, but it says "Made in USA" on the back. It's probably our most used pan by far.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Congrats on your find... Glad you got an item you wanted.. And by looks of it, a nice one at that..

I also made a garage sale swoop... Paid $5 for two cast iron sauce pans.. A one quart and a two quart.. With wood handles and hang up rings on the ends of the handles... They both will take some clean up, and a good seasoning.. Will post a picture when I get to that..

Enjoy...
Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnManJim View Post
Nice! Congratulations on your find femmesteader.

We have my mom's 11&3/4" iron skillet. Mom gave it to my wife and me when the arthritis in her hands made it too heavy for her to handle anymore. I don't know how old it is, but I'm 67 and I can't remember mom not having it when I was growing up. I don't know what brand it is either, but it says "Made in USA" on the back. It's probably our most used pan by far.
I have my Mother's skillet too. Will use it till the day they sprinkle my ashes in the river. Outside of pictures, this is the one thing that reminds me most of her and I'm sure it makes her proud when I fry chicken in it.

But - I think on the bucket list item, I picked up this cast iron wok about 20 years ago. Didn't use it much at first, because it really doesn't work that well on a stove top. About 5 years ago I picked up this Thai style bucket stove. Burn some wood or charcoal in the bottom of it, then place the wok on top of it. Wok sits about 1\3 deep in the stove and gets much more uniform heat. Works like a charm then.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Many years ago I bought a Wagners for .25-.30 at a garage sale. When I looked it up it was $265 book value. That's two hundred sixty five, not two dollars and sixty five cents. Of course I didn't take the time to look it up until way after I had sold it for a whole hell of a lot less. LOL
Old 07-27-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
Many years ago I bought a Wagners for .25-.30 at a garage sale. When I looked it up it was $265 book value. That's two hundred sixty five, not two dollars and sixty five cents. Of course I didn't take the time to look it up until way after I had sold it for a whole hell of a lot less. LOL
Ha! That sounds like the way I do business.