BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default $200 for an easy hour's work?????

US Bank has mailed me a flyer saying they will give me $200 to start a checking account with them. Only the account will cost me $6.95 a month "maintenance fee".

I am tempted to try to sign up for it and then cancel it, but I hate playing games with money. Oh, I am willing to invest, buy, sell, whatever, but when I reach for my checkbook I am pretty serious. So, I believe I will pass on this.

Besides, if it is too good to be rue it probably is not true. I noticed they did not say how much the automatic deposit that is part of the package has to be: I doubt I could just move $10 per month in! But, I am not inclined to do this anyways, because it is weird.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:24 PM

Bank here in this little town keeps sending me ads to open a free checking and no min balance. Free checks of regular kind. I use sight checks now. But they want you to be only one it seem. All they are pushing for is checking accounts.. Why? My bank does not charge me. Free money advice help. 80 miles away is hard at times but been okay. SS goes in and draw out enough to live and rest stays in for checks.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:00 AM

A lot of people around here still write checks... Especially older people..
It is a pain in the neck to stand around and wait for people to write checks, and run them through the machine that instantly cancles it, and hand it back to them... Why don't they just use a debit or credit card..

I can only presume they want you to open an account that will instantly process through the merchants machines... The merchant gets paid instantly...... Just like a debit card...

Personally I use my credit card for all I can... Bonus points to spend at the sports store...

Years ago US Bank did a bunch of screw ups with accounts I had that ended up costing me money... ALL there fault, but all they would say is oops, to bad, we can't do anything about it.... I wouldn't let trust them to manage a penny bubble gum machine...

My 2 cents on this...
Old 08-04-2015, 04:27 PM

I do not know what local bank is after. I know some places cash my check e cash or some such. have to mail checks to them. I pay cash here in town and most all places. I am not spending much and Sam's is on DIL's card there. I pay her. There was a lot places down home that would not take checks as too many bad ones.