BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:07 PM

Default Emergency water system

Greetings, new guy here. We're not off the grid but the power goes down in the winter now and then so I have a standby 24volt battery system and a Lister gen set. The neighbors well went bad the other day so I thought it time to finish the water project I started a while back. I have a 500 gallon tank in the ground, 15 feet from the well house/generator room. The well is 125 feet deep with a 240v submersible pump, 40 gal pressure tank, house is 200 feet away fed with a 1 inch line. I have two 320 gallon tanks that are built to fit in the bed of a pick up (one at a time). I used to deliver water to folks that had water problems. Plan is if the well/pump dies I use a 24v "Flowlight" booster pump with a pressure switch to pump into my system. It would fill the 40 gallon pressure tank to 40 lbs at 4.5 gpm. I would have flow in the house like normal until the pressure tank emptied then the flow would be reduced and thats what I 'm wondering about. We have 2 outhouses on the place from the days before power and a well so flushing is not a issue and waiting for the pressure tank to fill back up wouldn't be a hardship but it will be interesting to see how much water will get to the house when the tank empties. I could fill my 500 gallon underground tank using one of my pick up truck tanks, I'm wondering if that pump would pull water from the bottom of that tank, 6 feet down? Is this an OK idea for an emergency system?
Old 08-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome Islandguy. I'm no expert and don't know the answer, but this is a good topic and I'm responding just to bump your post up to be first in line or it might not get noticed the way this forum format is set up.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 AM

Here's a spec sheet on your pump that says it should be capable of at least 6' of lift if you're near sea level, even with the lowest powered model:

http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar...Pump-24V/p343/

I'd go ahead and fill the underground tank while your well is still working, so you can try the pump and figure out the logistics of getting it operational.

It's much better to do all that before there's a problem, and you will have that water already stored without having to go somewhere else to get it.

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 08-03-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Island Guy not sure exactly what pump you have Surflow makes several.

This one looks like more of a continual used type pump. While it says it can self prime up to 12ft is does not say how high or far it can push the water.

http://www.solar-electric.com/2088-474-144.html
Old 08-05-2015, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Yep Bearfootfarm, thats the pump I got
http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar...Pump-24V/p343/, actually it should arrive today..I filled the 500 gallon tank and I also found a guy that wants to sell a used 1500 gallon tank which I can place about 15' from the pump and right under about about 600 square feet of metal roof. I cant see right now how the under ground tank would fit in but I think it would be better to supply the pump from the big above ground tank because of the head pressure it would provide. The roof collection part can be figured out later but I have about 2000 square feet of metal outbuilding roofing that can be used.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM

i love water post--so many ways to get by.

Fellow here isnt hooked up to the water lines I am on.

he bought 4 water buffalos and a 3 ton box van----filles them every few weeks at local place,dumps that water in a cistern situation.

If i was him--I'd leave the water in the containers on the truck and let gravity do the trick--but not my call.

There are so many ways to have a water catchment for living.

Just a thought.
Good luck with your adventure.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:50 PM

Default Update

My new water system has been up and running for 2 or 3 months now. Heres what I did. I bought 4 2500 gallon black poly tanks. One tank is filled by the 240v submersible well pump and the 24v booster pump fills the 80 gallon pressure tank which supplies the house. I see no difference with this system compared to the old system where the well pump supplied the pressure tank, in other words the shower doesn't slow down when the cloths washer comes on etc... My "well pump guy", who is a good friend and neighbor helped me out with some float switch wiring and other stuff was sure this "out of the box" system wouldn't be satisfactory but this little Dankoff booster pump is doing a fine job. The other three tanks are almost 3/4 full with rain water from my carport/tractor shed roof. This water will be for the garden. I will replace the 240v well pump with a 24v pump when it dies. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:54 PM

Default pump change

Is it your intention to replace the 240 v submersible pump with a 24v submersible pump?

If so, I ran a quick check with an online wire size calculator, and a 1/2 HP pump with a total or 150 of wiring would require #2 wire to maintain a 2% voltage drop. A larger pump would require larger wire. That's like 300 feet of welding cable... around $450 or so...

You would likely be better off with an inverter to convert your 24V battery power to 240V AC

paul

Happily retired Master plumber and gearhead :>)
Old 12-20-2015, 02:27 PM

The 24v, SDS-T-128, SunPump I have should be happy with #10 wire pumping from 100 feet, It will only give me around a gallon and a half a minute, which is fine and #10 wire is what the SunPump people recommended for my application, so we'll see what happens when the 240v pump dies.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:01 AM

Thanks for sharing your progress. I'm a huge fan of rain catch -- especially here in fracking country.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:56 PM

I haven't quite figured out how to deal with the switching over to catchment water for the garden, another pressure tank and booster pump I guess. I wish I could easily run JUST well water to the sink in the house and catchment water to the rest of the house water needs, shower, toilet etc..Should have thought of that when I built the house

Last edited by Islandguy; 12-23-2015 at 03:39 PM.