BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:11 PM

Default Back...........

.......... and pleased to be here!
I finally got divorced last October, and after a bit of a tumultuous time, I moved back to Scotland - on my own - two days before Christmas , not only to my beloved Galloway, but to the village I was brought up in.
I've come home
My new house is wonderful - a peaceful haven of quiet and gentleness. I've got plenty of space inside, and a good-sized garden with a polytunnel and a greenhouse. Am currently still getting my stores organised, sorting out the dozens of boxes still to be unpacked, have got duck eggs in the incubator and duck and chicken houses, beehives and ponds to build; I even have a wee woodland at the bottom of the garden, which looks on to a field with a loud cockerel and a grumpy wee pony
I've planted lots of vegetables and fruit, herbs and trees, but there's till a lot to do - lots of areas that need cutting back, pruning and general tidying up - but the potential is huge.
Looking forward to a good read and catch up.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome back.
Sounds like you have found your paradise.
Makes me want to go watch John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in "The quiet Man."
I know that was Ireland but same idea.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 AM

Good for you, Sarah! Good luck to you. You're a reverse pioneer, returning home after spending time in the colonies. I've always watched the old Brit movies with jealousy. They picture small village life there as so idyllic and it sounds like you're confirming that.

ps/ I've always wondered about the movement here to legalize gay marriage, when the rest of us are looking for ways to get out of it. I feel like it's our duty to warn them.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Master Pontificator

Sarah welcome back. Enjoy your homeland. I had a college professor who was retiring at the end of the semester and was returning to Scotland. He educated us on Scotland, sounded like a great place. He liked the food and beer.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Lots of ups ad downs over the last year, but have found my way back here. Still not finished unpacking, but successful hatching of ducks means I have 5 White Campbells now. Of to catch up here - again..........
Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 PM

Hi Sarah...

Glad to hear you are getting settled.. All you mentioned can be a lot to handle at times...

Without looking it up, Galloway HAS to be pretty far north... But then depending on location on your part of the island, will depend on what kind of winters you have... I'm curious...

Like the saying goes... All that separates us is a common language..

I presume a "polytunnel" is an accessory to a green house.. Maybe meaning hot frame ?? When you can, post a picture in plants, I presume would be the apropriate place... Again, I'm curious as to the term..

Good luck with your projects, from far western Lake Superior..

Take care..
Old 01-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Galloway is a county in the south west of Scotland, just over the border from England. We're often passed by as folk drive straight up to Glasgow and beyond looking for the 'real Scotland'..............
It can be quite mild in parts due to its proximity to the edge fo the gulf stream, but can get colder in land - we've had snow, gales and storms over the past few weeks.
A polytunnel is like a polythene hothouse - but be enough o walk around in - mine is about 10ft long by 7ft wide I think, about 7ft tall in the centre. Metal hoop frame is covered with thick polythene, it's a boon to growing in Scotland. I've never had one before, so it's a bit of a learning curve for me, but I like a challenge

Will go off and see if I can find a photo to post. Thanks for your reply
Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 PM

Welcome back! Glad you found your place in the sun. We were going to travel to Scotland (my mother's family was from Glasgow) and Ireland (my wife's mother's family was from County Cork) last autumn, but we just couldn't squeeze it in time-wise. It was postponed, but hopefully we will make the trip in the next couple years if the world holds out and doesn't fall to pieces.