BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Prep for Winter 2015/16

Everyone in the North America has preps that need done for winter... Us here in the north land more than others.. But everyone in there own way..

Several have mentioned things they have done that are preps for winter already.. For instance, DoninAK is saying he has only 2-3 weeks till average first frost..

I guess the couple little things I have accomplished towards this winter so far..
The annual grease the tractor, loader, tractor snowblower... Easy enough..
---Got a LOT of wood ready for my Hobo stove...
---Bought some car chemicals on sale for winter.. Things like oil to top off with.. Washer fluid.. Ninety one percent rubbing alcohol to use with washer fluid as needed to keep it flowing..
---Will go through and up date my winter car kits later this late summer..

The software my propane supplier has used to figure budget bill amounts screwed up my account.. Ends up I have a something over $1000 credit now that they have it figured out... So I don't have a budget bill payment this season as at the current budget per gallon price I should be paid up the full winter...

Got some jam made for my pantry and holiday gifts.. Going to make a couple more kinds... Also found a homemade BBQ sauce recipe I can do with things on hand... Will make some family style... And a couple jars flame thrower for a couple people I know likes that...

Have plenty of winter craft materials on hand also..

Otherwise... For this time of year, I got things reasonably caught up for this year..

How about you ?? Making progress on that ??
Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 PM

Wyo,
Do you have a recipe that you use for the "flame thrower" BBQ sauce? My two oldest sons love hot stuff, and we have a bumper crop of hot peppers this year.... Maybe I can make some for them.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 AM

Wyo,
Do you have a recipe that you use for the "flame thrower" BBQ sauce? My two oldest sons love hot stuff, and we have a bumper crop of hot peppers this year.... Maybe I can make some for them.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Wyo, that is great about your propane credit!

I always have a huge list that never gets completed. The basic things that HAVE to be done are these:

get firewood
get Mom's heating oil & emergency firewood
gather & dehydrate medicinal herbs
get the propane tank topped off
finish the garden & orchard harvests
clean and store garden tools, supplies & equipment
change the seasonal clothing
dental and eye doctor visits
stock up on stuff in case we get snowed in (we only get groceries once a month anyway)

That's all I can think of right now. The "stock up" list includes batteries, bird seed, dog food, toilet paper, car stuff like antifreeze, oil, other fluids, etc. We always have plenty of food.

I'm hoping we can till the empty gardens and sow cover crops, probably rye since it's the most hardy. This may or may not happen.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Master Pontificator

don't really put back any preps, when i have surplus of anything i can it, spend all winter cutting firewood for next winter and have at least 3 years worth in my personal supply. this years a litle different, planning to make a pair of snowshoes, not that i need another pair, but that i want them.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Our winter preparations have really changed over the last few years since being crippled up.

Firewood - I've cut and split my own for over 20 years and always had the goal of having it all done by Labor Day. Use between 5 and 6 full cord. Now I've had to go back to oil heat since I can't handle firewood anymore - still keep around 3 full cord on hand for power outages and breakdowns. Fuel oil tank has already been filled last month (1000 gallon) so that is done.

No garden anymore either. The reason I used to get my firewood done early is to have the time for canning - we used to put up hundreds of jars of not only vegetables but lots of other goodies like pickled string beans, salsa, steak sauce, etc. Now just do a couple batches of jam from the wild berries on our property.

Tractor maintenance happens in late October/early November. Mower deck gets a thorough power wash and underside gets a few new coats of EZ-Slide then stored away for the winter. Tractor gets its annual oil/filter change and fuel filter change along with grease and a good general going over. Chains get installed in late November.

House gets the rain gutters cleaned in late November after the pine trees shed their old pine needles - there are hundreds of pounds of them. Also all windows get a good cleaning and locked shut while checking for any problems.

Since we now keep a good stash of groceries and dry goods we don't need to do what we used to and do a big stock up run in October.

So really not much winter preparation as we used to do because of our lifestyle change. Actually we are in winter prep mode all year long now as we keep out stockpiles up.

Reminds me of what I used to say all the time - we spend all summer just getting ready for winter.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 AM

I have been working on bills, mostly.

We got the air conditioner fixed and so I will be paying on that for a bit, but at least DH thinks the roof *MIGHT* get us through the winter. Perhaps. I would truly prefer to be out of debt before we need to pay on the roof! It looks pretty sorry, and we had a leak fixed just this year.

On the GOOD side, I have chicks in the hen house, and they should be laying about when the old ones stop for the winter. I did not know much about the breed "Speckled Sussex" until I bought them, but they are a small dual-purpose breed and the breed was developed about the time the Romans left England. They do set and one of them is a rooster- I lost my old roo a couple of years back- and so I should now be able to hatch my own chicks again whenever I need them.

I did have 4 chicks, but one managed to drench herself in he water bowl when she was about a moth old, and she died before she was found. They did have a heat lamp on them but it was set to keep dry chicks warm, not wet ones. It looked like she had sat on the lip of the water pan to drink and it flipped over and dumped is contents on her.

Last edited by Terri; 08-18-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:47 AM

I'm moving home again, after being on the road for over a year, and this time I'll mostly be alone with the 4 little ones (husband only home on weekends), so I will have a lot of preps to do once I get there. Propane tank fill-up, stock the dry firewood, buy 1/4 or 1/2 cow, ascertain other food needs, and just general assessment of the property and making sure all the stuff we left there is still there, and that I know where it is.

So for now, I'm packing every day, box runs (to get empty banana boxes) every day. Watching irs.gov like a hawk to see when they get the return processed and have a date for our refund, LOL. (the first friday after we have cash in hand is moving day, haha!)

I did order a batch of baby chicks to supplement any of my flock that is still hanging around at home, and scored a top layer of a metal brooder (the part with the heat light) for $50, so I'll consider that a winter prep, LOL.

I'll have a much bigger list, but not until I'm back home and can see and check out what needs to be done now and what can wait.

Mouse Bandit
Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 PM

I'd like to get one more truck load of firewood before it gets cold. We normally only burn about two cords a year as we do not rely solely on wood for heat. I like to have some extra on hand for those off chance happenings where we get an ice storm or something that takes out the power form several days. Its happened before and I was glad I had the alternate source of heat. I getsome of my wood for free when I can (chainsaw was a good investment) but I normally buy some as well. I have a guy locally when lets you pull in and fill your pickup and he charges according to how full you are. I've never paid more than $50 Load. My truck hold about a half cord so that isa bad price. So far this years 2 1/2 cords have only set me back $60 as I got a lot of it free this spring and last fall from downed trees from a previous storm.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:07 PM

For me it's mainly get my firewood under cover, which I started the other day. I'm hoping to have it all up and put away by Sept 15th or Oct 1st for sure. After that I spend a lot of time deer hunting so I don't want firewood to get in the way.

Bought a boat this year, so I'll have to winterize the motor on that. Thought when I was done for the season I'd take it down and put it in the garage at my mom's house. At 95 it's not like she has any cars in there to drive, so I thought it would free up some space in my barn for winter.

After that it will be get the tractor ready for moving snow, and try to get the blade attachment I took off my old pickup mounted on my present pickup. It's a lot nicer moving snow from the cab of a pickup rather then the seat of a tractor with no cab.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:52 AM

We are both ready for winter and far behind on our preparations...
There is about 2 years worth of firewood cut, propane to last until next spring in place and the stovepipe cleaned.
Left to do is the fall tractor and truck servicing and the bulk supplies stockpiling. The biggest problem there is storing it away from the mice, bugs, damp and freezing. TP, paper towels and other paper goods take up a lot of room and are mice magnets.

This week our local grocery store (PriceChopper) is having the semiannual canned vegetable sale. They have the usual; peas, green beans, corn & mixed veggies in wrapped flats of 12 cans for $4 each. That works out to about 33 cents a can, less than half normal price (89 cents each). We go through about 20 flats a year, and I can't match that price growing and canning my own.
This afternoon I'll be inventorying our stock, pulling out everything getting close to the expiration date and making a list of what needs to be replaced.
The stuff I pull out will go to the food bank and be replaced with new, bringing us back up to the 20 flats to last until next fall.
It never slows down...

TickFarmer
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 PM

TickFarmer, you just reminded me of cleaning our chimney. Have to add that to the list.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 PM

I have to get kerosene & firewood bought & delivered. Everything else is ok. My task this winter is to check a few of the properties I've been watching & see how difficult it is to get in & out. I have to get to work daily, and although I prefer remote places, realistically I have to be able to get out in the snow.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 PM

That can certainly be a challenge in SW VA and NW NC in winter.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
That can certainly be a challenge in SW VA and NW NC in winter.
Yes, it can. State maintained roads are generally very well maintained here, They salt them early, and scrape them frequently. but private driveways & farm roads - another story. Many here park their car "below" and use ATVs to go back & forth.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 PM

32 F. here this morning. Hopefully nothing froze in the low spots. We will have to get the beans picked today to make sure we get as many as we can. The days will be nice as the rain has paused, but the nghts will be cold.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:12 PM

We don't get much "winter" here. 3 or 4 days of freezing weather at a time is about it. Although, 2 winters ago it was in the 20s and 30s for 3 weeks straight. That was tough for this old Florida girl. Winter typically starts in January and is over by the end of March. I did enjoy reading about all of your preps especially dreaming of a fireplace as you wrote about your firewood.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:32 PM

I have natural gas for heat and to heat water. Rest is electric. Since I have moved here been down to 27 below. I am sure that is no record. And get hot too.

The store in this small town is very high. So shop 75 to 90 miles away. One way. I am working on list for Sept when son takes to me doctor and big city. Will stock on green beans and peas as I balance my diet with them. And need cereal and crackers. Just things I use daily. To get to big city road goes a narrow winding Mountain pass. Senior bus goes once month but only on Thursday and doctor now has no Thursday hours; so is costug me to go. But only need to go normally twice a year for my heart check. I pay for the trip. And we shop. We have our lists for that. Bus goes to Vernal twice a month and so can pick up things needed . I think I am pretty well set for winter.

Got to check the vitamins and be couple to get. Got most all ready for 6 month, Try to get big bottles at Sam's .

I bought another pair of snow boots this spring as old very old. These are more dressy. I think clothes are all okay. Maybe a pair of brown pants but okay with out.

I have sheet blankets and flannel sheets for cold weather. Meat is freezer. All ready the first aid stuff. I have the material to make quilts and bought sheets at thrift shop to set the panels and blocks. So have stuff to keep busy.

I have been going out on bus to some city each week for lunch and shop. No cabin fever that way. I think I am pretty well set for winter. If nasty I can stay home.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:10 AM

Default Winter preps

Here in the California Central Valley foothills, with temperatures still in the high 90 range, our preps are a little different then most others. Last week, I topped off the 500 gal LP tank this morning finished the cover for the two cords of wood stacked behind the garage.

We're all waiting in anticipation of the possible ElNino that's been forecast. Anything that will help minimize the effects of the 3+ year drought will be a Blessing. The only thing left is a trip to a box store for some bulk items for the cellar.

I'm looking forward to every thing nature can throw at us this winter...
Old 08-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildapple View Post
We don't get much "winter" here. 3 or 4 days of freezing weather at a time is about it. Although, 2 winters ago it was in the 20s and 30s for 3 weeks straight. That was tough for this old Florida girl. Winter typically starts in January and is over by the end of March. I did enjoy reading about all of your preps especially dreaming of a fireplace as you wrote about your firewood.
We discovered from several winters spent working outside in southern Alabama, that 30 degrees down there feels colder than 20 degrees here in the mountains! It seems like it goes straight through to your bones!