BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:17 PM

That is very true, wildturnip. Oftentimes, though I've been wearing shorts and flip-flops in December and then turn around in January and need long johns. I don't see myself going anywhere else. I've only lived in FL and TX. I guess you could say I'm Southern. LOL
Old 08-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildapple View Post
That is very true, wildturnip. Oftentimes, though I've been wearing shorts and flip-flops in December and then turn around in January and need long johns. I don't see myself going anywhere else. I've only lived in FL and TX. I guess you could say I'm Southern. LOL
There are retirees at lake of the ozarks that don't own any coats or long pants. When it get to cold for shorts they go to south Texas. Winter prep is packing.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Master Pontificator

I'm doing the firewood and stocking up on things from the store including gloves, socks etc. Somehow we always go through socks and gloves like there is no tomorrow! I'll need to get some sand or salt for the driveway. I also like to stock up on some bedding for the chicken coops and some feed. Two years ago we had a storm and Tractor supply had no power so they couldn't even sell what they had. Then when the power came back on the supply trucks couldn't get through. I don't plan to be in that position again.

Hubby will take care of the tractors and mowers. I'll put the garden to bed in a few weeks. We'll do the last mowing and load up the compost bin. The recent cool weather has really had me in prep mode!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:22 AM

We have the first "Winter Storm Warning" of the season for this state--northeast Alaska is under a winter storm warning. There is a sprinkling of snow on the mountain tops here this morning, too. It is referred to in Alaska as "termination dust", since in the old days it was a signal for construction crews to start shutting down their operations. It may or may not mean anything this time, but some weather folks are calling for a freeze warning for tomorrow. We spent the entire day at the fair from 0800 until 2045-- a long day for this old man.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Master Pontificator

Hopefully there is still a couple months away before the really cold weather gets here, hoping for a long fall with cool nights and maybe few frosty mornings, just so I can fire up the wood burning stove in the kitchen.

Still dealing with some problems cause by spring storms with flooding, but only can do one repair on the farmhouse at a time, so don't want to worry so much over that.

Cleaning and organizing cabinets, pantry, and closets before I start putting in food and all the other supplies needed, I love having everything on hand and not having to worry if I can't get out to town, so will stock up over the next few months.

Propane and firewood are on my to do list to be completed before the last of October and November and December will be time to prepare for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the family.
Thanks

Last edited by jeanb; 08-28-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:39 AM

We'll be building a fire in the greenhouse stove tonight. We picked most of the stuff outside today, so let us see what the night brings. The aurora has been beautiful, but that often means clear skies and cold overnight temps here.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM

Winter preps are underway here even with the current warm days. DH put a new storm door on the kitchen door yesterday and the oil tank will be filled tomorrow. I have tomatoes to finish canning and we will plant fall kale and spinach this week. A friend sent me a bunch of her beans to can and I sent her a bunch of cucumbers for her pickles. Next will be Apple sauce and Apple slices for the freezer. My evening project is learning to knit with some alpaca yarn that is wonderful to work with.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 PM

I made the trip to the doctor and next visit to him is March. He said he does not want me to come down over the pass in winter.

We had a full load coming back. Cow feed treats . I got rags to cut into mechanic rags, 8 big black trash bags of them. We shopped at Sam's and Kroger's. I got my canned peas and green beans, couple flats each, and cereal and crackers and few things else. Some vitamins. I think I have one more vitamin to buy. That should stock me what I got. My buying should be gallon of milk a week and very little else. Well if I do Xmas dinner a turkey, and potatoes. Both kinds.

I want to start soon and cook some things for the freezer. I need check what is in the freezer. I have meat. Meals ready to heat.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:35 AM

This year it seems like a lot less time has been spent on normal things this time of year - primarily canning garden produce. I am way behind there, and I hate to say it - a lot of produce may be lost. Feel horrible about that.

We don't heat with wood, but this spring-late summer, have a lot of wood built up from taking down dead trees around our RV and some big popples that had to come down - they may have squashed us otherwise. Since we don't heat with wood, I have a lot of split wood that we'll donate to some elderly in the area.

I'm just glad hunting season is here - soon, we'll be working on canning and processing venison. That's the primary winter prep that I'm excited about!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:01 AM

I bought a StoveTek rocket stove and have a 30 gal trash can full of twigs/sticks gathered for it.
Picked up quite a few skeins of 100% wool and alpaca yarn to knit more warm balaclavas, hats, socks, gloves, etc. over the coming months. I plan on knitting twice as many as I think we'll need so I can keep half as part of my preps to either use as barter items or to use when the original supply gets holey/worn and I have time to repair/reknit them.

Been gleaning whole cob corn from the surrounding fields to keep the poultry and goats supplied with extra food during the coming cold Colorado winter.

Lots more to do but this is just what I've gotten done in the last 1-2 weeks.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Be an ant....not a grasshopper!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:35 AM

11/29/15...
I have had the yard all picked up, campfire chairs picked up, holiday lights up, plant pots taken care of, bird seed bought and stored, timer on tractor block heater set and ready to plug in, snow blade and loader ready, tire chains yet to be put on...

Car kits checked and refreshed as needed, car chemicals on hand, fresh oil changes etc as needed, tires good..

Propane is full, house is stocked with TP and other consumables I hate to have to lug around in cold weather.. I'm officially in the minimum "milk and eggs" shopping mode..

Have about 2" of snow on the ground as of today.. I've had to sweep the deck twice and shovel it once already.... News is saying first winter storm warning to kick in by tomorrow about noon... WILL be getting 4-8" of snow by Tuesday morning they say...

Still have stuff to put away in the garage as it is just moved over to make room for the car... The door still closes.. So it must be OK yet ??

Take care..
Old 12-01-2015, 03:52 PM

I bought a package of pork steaks. 4 and I cut in half and froze. I did cook a piece and it did me 2 meals. That will help break just chicken. I put a turkey in freezer for Xmas 73 a pound. I added another flat of peas and one of green beans to be sure I can get though to March. I was not planning to shop again to March. Plan on March as go to doctor then. Just milk and eggs and very little else to buy. Meat in freezer and canned stuff in pantry. Should get through fine.

Kids plan to take me to big city mid Dec. DIL got my call from bank and said I would be there,. Estate planning guy there to talk to me and said bring my papers. Will get to stores then. Trip I am sure will cost me $100 for gas and our lunch. Being so far from things adds up fast. If I pay for trip I plan to go to thrift shop. Books and sheets for quilts. Have enough sheets and low on books. WAs given some books.