BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:08 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default This family knows what self reliant means.

The link below takes you to a story about an off grid family here in Texas. One of my paramedic partners grew up next door to these folks and has actually been on their property.

In a nut shell, the patriarch skipped bail on a charge of resisting arrest. He holed up on his property and told law enforcement to bring body bags if they came after him. 15 years later and they're still living on the compound - the family is growing. LEOs don't think the arrest is worth the obvious risk of bloodshed.

The story includes some obvious inaccuracies - 2 months of E Texas snow?

And there are some bias issues. I'm not saying this is a family to be modeled after, simply pointing them out as someone who is more self reliant than most.

John Joe Gray family

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:31 AM

I liked the article.

Quote:
“I cannot believe that somebody’s *actually capable of living off the grid for that period of time. I’m not sure I could".
Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM

The article says to me that the grandpa was a nut job from the get go planning to blow up roads throughout TX. It makes me wonder if one of the grandkids will hightail it out of there one day.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Master Pontificator

I can't remember how long ago but this family let a news crew come in and do an interview with them. The family was having Thanksgiving dinner and something happened, don't remember what , but the news crew was ordered to stop filming and ordered to leave. Haven't heard anything more on this family since that interview.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildapple View Post
The article says to me that the grandpa was a nut job from the get go planning to blow up roads throughout TX. It makes me wonder if one of the grandkids will hightail it out of there one day.

While as Randell says they are selfsuficient BUT
I agree the guy is a selfish jerk that Is Only thinking of himself.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 08-23-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
While a Randell say they are selfsuficient BUT
Uh, what is wrong with that?? That is What made this nation great
Old 08-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
While a Randell say they are selfsuficient BUT

Uh, what is wrong with that?? That is What made this nation great
Basically enslaving his grandkids and not allowing them to interact with anyone from the outside is a good thing?

The world may be a screwed up mess, but it's not so bad you have your teenage granddaughters talking to men on a CB radio as a means of social interaction because they can't go out and meet real people in the real world.

I feel sorry for the grandkids. What they are gaining is not worth what they are losing.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Basically enslaving his grandkids and not allowing them to interact with anyone from the outside is a good thing?

The world may be a screwed up mess, but it's not so bad you have your teenage granddaughters talking to men on a CB radio as a means of social interaction because they can't go out and meet real people in the real world.

I feel sorry for the grandkids. What they are gaining is not worth what they are losing.
Again, I have to ask "what is wrong with that"? Would you rather they wear next to nothing clothing, learn how to cut a line of dope, get pregnant when they are teens, fall prey to some child molester.
Socializing you kids is absolutely not the best thing for the children. Now if there is abuse in the compound, that is a problem. But I have not seen any evidence of that
Old 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM

Some may see this man as a patriot however I do not. He's simply a criminal whose being allowed to get away with his crimes due to a weak law enforcement agency afraid to confront this nut case. I don't think any of us would appreciate finding out a criminal is living in our neighborhoods with a price on his head yet, law enforcement won't do their jobs and get this person put behind bars where he belongs.

Last edited by Nickathome; 08-24-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:49 AM

That is an interesting article but I have some questions. How long did it take them to flee to this compound? They had time to take chickens, etc. The denim of the girl's vest and skirt look pretty new. Where are they getting the fabric to make their clothes? After 15 years, what clothes they took with them would be worn out so somebody must be going into town. I just can't believe they have not been off the compound in 15 years. Where did they get their devices to chat with guys all over the world?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Again, I have to ask "what is wrong with that"? Would you rather they wear next to nothing clothing, learn how to cut a line of dope, get pregnant when they are teens, fall prey to some child molester.
Socializing you kids is absolutely not the best thing for the children. Now if there is abuse in the compound, that is a problem. But I have not seen any evidence of that
If you're raising them to live as hermits, then socializing isn't needed, but that's not reality.

The world isn't full of evil boogie men just waiting to pounce on kids, though if you spend enough time watching the news and on the internet you might feel that way.

To enslave all the grandkids is just wrong. And let's remember they're not enslaved because the grandfather thinks the world is an evil place full of child molesters, and his grandkids may start wearing the wrong type of clothing. They're enslaved because he's wanted by the law, so everyone else needs to stay in the compound too.

Someday those kids will leave that place, assuming they live longer then the old man. And when they do, they will be so out of touch with the real world the odds of them being able to lead a normal life are slim.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Some may see this man as a patriot however I do not. He's simply a criminal whose being allowed to get away with his crimes due to a weak law enforcement agency afraid to confront this nut case. I don't think any of us would appreciate finding out a criminal is living in our neighborhoods with a price on his head yet, law enforcement won't do their jobs and get this person put behind bars where he belongs.
That depends on what you see as "criminal". I always said you have a duty to resist. That is such a faux charge that the thugs throw just so they can charge you with something. How many time does a cop yell, "stop resisting", while they are beating the shyt out of some person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
That is an interesting article but I have some questions. How long did it take them to flee to this compound? They had time to take chickens, etc. The denim of the girl's vest and skirt look pretty new. Where are they getting the fabric to make their clothes? After 15 years, what clothes they took with them would be worn out so somebody must be going into town. I just can't believe they have not been off the compound in 15 years. Where did they get their devices to chat with guys all over the world?
Probably would be an.example that no matter how isolationist you want to.be. You still need outside trade. I do think the article.is an over exaggeration
Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
If you're raising them to live as hermits, then socializing isn't needed, but that's not reality.

The world isn't full of evil boogie men just waiting to pounce on kids, though if you spend enough time watching the news and on the internet you might feel that way.

To enslave all the grandkids is just wrong. And let's remember they're not enslaved because the grandfather thinks the world is an evil place full of child molesters, and his grandkids may start wearing the wrong type of clothing. They're enslaved because he's wanted by the law, so everyone else needs to stay in the compound too.

Someday those kids will leave that place, assuming they live longer then the old man. And when they do, they will be so out of touch with the real world the odds of them being able to lead a normal life are slim.
What you see as enslavement, other see as protecting. Would you consider the Amish as enslavement?? I propose that we do need to protect our kids more. I don't mean hover parents. Kids do need to get hurt. I mean the normal cuts and scrapes. But to social hurt, they don't learn anything, it only hurts their soul. A drug addiction does.nothing for.You. You don't get stronger. It only drains you and the people who love You. People are fooled to think, promiscuous sex is good. Mostly by males on girls. They learn nothing from it, the damage is done. Again it just drains your soul.
We should.protect children from the evil.that is the world, as.long as we.can
Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
What you see as enslavement, other see as protecting. Would you consider the Amish as enslavement?? I propose that we do need to protect our kids more. I don't mean hover parents. Kids do need to get hurt. I mean the normal cuts and scrapes. But to social hurt, they don't learn anything, it only hurts their soul. A drug addiction does.nothing for.You. You don't get stronger. It only drains you and the people who love You. People are fooled to think, promiscuous sex is good. Mostly by males on girls. They learn nothing from it, the damage is done. Again it just drains your soul.
Not every kid turns to drugs. Not every kid has promiscuous sex. Do you think sheltering a child from the outside world will stop them from doing those things? If you say yes then you're wrong. IMO these sheltered kids will be the ones turning to the dark side since to them having never been exposed to the world, they'll have no concept that those things are bad. I think they will be more likely to commit sex crimes or become addicts because they won't known what is right or wrong.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
What you see as enslavement, other see as protecting. Would you consider the Amish as enslavement??
Not even comparable. One is a chosen lifestyle, the other is an attempt to avoid jail. Remember he isn't do this to protect any kids, he's doing this to stay out of jail.

Quote:
I propose that we do need to protect our kids more. I don't mean hover parents.
This guy is far beyond a hover parent. He's more the jailer parent type.

Quote:
A drug addiction does.nothing for.You. You don't get stronger. It only drains you and the people who love You.
While addicted that may be true. But when a person decides to get their life together and drop the drugs, the addiction will make them a much stronger person.

We learn from our mistakes. Mistakes are what makes us better. When you keep kids locked up on some compound so they are unable to experience real life, you don't allow them to make mistakes. It also shows you don't trust them.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
You see to think that merely walking in the world will expose. You to all the deviant behavior you describe every minute 24/7 . That absurd. You can not shelter anyone for thier whole life and expect them to lead normal well adjusted life interacting with the world .

If you really are intent on protecting you should expose them to the whole world
and teach right from wrong. Ignoring the wrong and pretending it doesn't exist won't make it go away and will only do harm to the very ones you want to protect .

In this case it was not his intention, he is using ( really abusing ) his family to keep from going to jail.

Shame on him and you for even thinking it is ok.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Not every kid turns to drugs. Not every kid has promiscuous sex. Do you think sheltering a child from the outside world will stop them from doing those things? If you say yes then you're wrong. IMO these sheltered kids will be the ones turning to the dark side since to them having never been exposed to the world, they'll have no concept that those things are bad. I think they will be more likely to commit sex crimes or become addicts because they won't known what is right or wrong.
I will agree with you. The Evil that is in the world today is very invasive. But let me ask you, why did we raise the legal drinking age to 21? Was it because of the fact that when.You grow out of your brain of mush that you are better at making decisions. Are you less likely to.become.addicted to the alcohol drug? Maybe

Quote:
Not even comparable. One is a chosen lifestyle, the other is an attempt to avoid jail. Remember he isn't do this to protect any kids, he's doing this to stay out of jail.

This guy is far beyond a hover parent. He's more the jailer parent type.

While addicted that may be true. But when a person decides to get their life together and drop the drugs, the addiction will make them a much stronger person.

We learn from our mistakes. Mistakes are what makes us better. When you keep kids locked up on some compound so they are unable to experience real life, you don't allow them to make mistakes. It also shows you don't trust them.
They are both choices. Remember I don't consider him a criminal. If he was do you not think they would pull a Randy Weaver on him. The Police know it is a bogus charge
But I would have to highly dis agree with you. Once you have an addiction you never get over it you will always be an addicted, just recoveriing. You are stronger but broken

Quote:
You see to think that merely walking in the world will expose. You to all the deviant behavior you describe every minute 24/7 . That absurd. You can not shelter anyone for thier whole life and expect them to lead normal well adjusted life interacting with the world .

If you really are intent on protecting you should expose them to the whole world
and teach right from wrong. Ignoring the wrong and pretending it doesn't exist won't make it go away and will only do harm to the very ones you want to protect .

In this case it was not his intention, he is using ( really abusing ) his family to keep from going to jail.

Shame on him and you for even thinking it is ok.
I think you people have miss understood me. Yes you protect them, but you also educate them. They don't need to make that decision before they are ready. Too many parents are wanting the nanny tube to occupy their kids. Too many will not even let their kids need a bandald but the life decisions they are having to make before they are ready

BTW, I believe the statute of limitations is past on that charge, he was never arrested for
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:

I think you people have miss understood me. Yes you protect them, but you also educate them. They don't need to make that decision before they are ready. Too many parents are wanting the nanny tube to occupy their kids. Too many will not even let their kids need a bandald but the life decisions they are having to make before they are ready

BTW, I believe the statute of limitations is past on that charge, he was never arrested for

Education is letting kids experience life and teaching them right from wrong NOT keeping them locked away and brainwashed . In you original post you defended him - now you're starting to quibble .

If the SOL is over why has he let his kid out why is he still keeping them locked. Up and brainwashed ? He is a jerk out and simpke
Old 08-26-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Remember I don't consider him a criminal.
Then we're not talking about anything even remotely similar. To you they are survivalists thumbing their nose at the government.

But for the most, everyone else sees him as a criminal forcing his extended family to a life in confinement.

Apples and oranges have a closer association then the way we see this.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Education is letting kids experience life and teaching them right from wrong NOT keeping them locked away and brainwashed . In you original post you defended him - now you're starting to quibble .

If the SOL is over why has he let his kid out why is he still keeping them locked. Up and brainwashed ? He is a jerk out and simpke
Here again you are trying to make a losing argument, even when you have been shown the difference
Education does not come from exposing prematures to evil. Would you make your kids.watch a.porn film before you talk to them?? Well maybe you would. Would you have them shoot up dope before you taught them it was wrong and would steal their souls?? No education is not throwing them in the deep end and saying "sink or swim.

BTW, where did you see they were shackled?? I didn't see any restraints

Quote:
Then we're not talking about anything even remotely similar. To you they are survivalists thumbing their nose at the government.

But for the most, everyone else sees him as a criminal forcing his extended family to a life in confinement.

Apples and oranges have a closer association then the way we see this.
We have already established that the statute of limitation has run out on th charge that he was never convicted of. But you need to.read.about where.You have broken three felonies today

How is he forcing his family to stay?? Is he shakling them to a post?? Evidently some them are old enough to.reproduce and.make up their own minds

You guys have not answered my question. Do you think the Amish at evil and wrong to.raise their children this way?? Are they being brain washed and forced to.live a bad way???

If we looks.at.your life style. Would we be shocked? I don't drink alcohol, so I think any one that does drink should not be around children. I carry a firearm every where, but there are some that think it wrong to be around children.