BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Not like I will have much choice. They cancel our Tricare Prime that is very affordable (not free that I was expecting when I enlisted) at age 65. We then have to sign up for part b and then sign up for Tricare for life is has no cost but higher copays.

Already forced to use only mail in pharmacy or the base for prescription if we use local pharmacy we pay full price. Now one side of congress want to increase what we pay if we use mail in pharmacy. Not like we get a choice except pay it.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I am a few years off from 65 so I am sure the rates and rules will change even more.
CSRS people get really screwed ( along with spouse) under Reagan rules.
I was in 10 year ( 40 quarters in SS deductions) , another 27 years CSRS paid all that amount back ( with interest) to CSRS so it would count as years, then worked another 6 years ( another 24 quarters with Max SS deduction)

And yet even though fully paid and vested in SS my and my wife's benefits have been reduced over. 1/3.

Thank you Reagan .
Old 09-09-2015, 12:43 PM

What is CSRS? Civil Service?

There was another thread about SS recently. I did go ahead and sign up so now I won't face an increase.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildapple View Post
What is CSRS? Civil Service?

There was another thread about SS recently. I did go ahead and sign up so now I won't face an increase.
Yes that was the system up to early 80's.
At that time existing employed were given choice to stay in it or transfer to new system FERS( federal employee retirement system) all new employees had to go to FERS . That's when all pay SS. There are no CSRS left on workforce. All FERS pay SS just like everyone else to include all congressmen

Last edited by MissouriFree; 09-10-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
This really sucks for retired military. We are required to have part b to get Tricare for life.

Once we hit age 65 we have to drop our current retired military insurance for me its Tricare Prime. And sign up for Tricare for life and start paying for part b for both my spouse and myself. So we went from free medical for life to well now you have to pay $500 a year for insurance to well now you have to pay $160 x2 a month. ($3,840 a year).
Bones - can you keep this thread updated with how this impacts you? My future wife (two weeks away) is Retired Air Force, and has Tricare. We're quite a few years away until we hit 65 - but I would like to hear about what happens in your situation.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Bones - can you keep this thread updated with how this impacts you? My future wife (two weeks away) is Retired Air Force, and has Tricare. We're quite a few years away until we hit 65 - but I would like to hear about what happens in your situation.
Yes I will

MF there are still CSRS in the system . We have one lady that started at 18 and has almost 50 years of service. So there are still a few of them out there.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Different Subject and you might be aware of this but if not.

Starting October 1, 2015, a new law requires all TRICARE beneficiaries, except active duty service members, to get select brand name maintenance drugs through either TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery or from a military pharmacy. Beneficiaries who keep using a retail pharmacy for these drugs will have to pay the full cost.

Maintenance drugs are those you take regularly for a long time, such as drugs to control blood pressure or cholesterol. The law does not apply to drugs you take for a short time, like antibiotics, or generic drugs. Beneficiaries living overseas, or with other prescription drug coverage, are not affected.

The TRICARE pharmacy contractor, Express Scripts, is sending a letter to beneficiaries taking an affected drug, explaining their options. Beneficiaries can contact Express Scripts at 1-877-363-1303 to see if they are affected.

After October 1, beneficiaries still filling an affected drug at a retail pharmacy will receive another letter informing them of the change to the benefit. After that, beneficiaries have one final “courtesy” fill at a retail pharmacy. If they fill at a retail pharmacy again, they have to pay 100 percent of the cost of their medication.

TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery is a safe, convenient and low cost option to get maintenance drugs. You can get up to a 90-day supply, as opposed to a 30-day supply from a retail pharmacy. You save up to $176 a year for every brand name drug you switch to Home Delivery. Military pharmacies offer up to a 90-day supply of drugs at zero copay, but not all drugs are available. You can check with your local military pharmacy to see if they carry your prescription.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Yes I will

MF there are still CSRS in the system . We have one lady that started at 18 and has almost 50 years of service. So there are still a few of them out there.
There was a man I knew well that retired in 2011 after 67 years at Ft Dix DPW .

http://www.jointbasemdl.af.mil/news/...p?id=123251646
Old 09-11-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
There was a man I knew well that retired in 2011 after 67 years at Ft Dix DPW .

http://www.jointbasemdl.af.mil/news/...p?id=123251646
I am sure little Miss Jackie is going to stay around a long time. She started out with the same command and is a plank owner and even moved with them when the command left Washington DC. Not sure her retirement would be sufficient for DC living and that is where she talks about moving back to.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:17 PM

Did I read incorrectly or was this for couples income of 200,000 up to almost 500 grand.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
For those of you contemplating SS and Medicare ( part B)
Signup. This is important.
Big news on part b premiums for new sign ups and Medicare people that do not recieve SS :

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...101500900.html

The details :

http://crr.bc.edu/wp-content/uploads...8/IB_15-14.pdf
All health insurance plans will go up, as well.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 PM

My Rocky Mountain med Ins will go up $9.10 per month fpr next year. I pay medicare to have it.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael32170 View Post
All health insurance plans will go up, as well.
You right of course " except" existing Medicare part B
Old 10-15-2015, 03:19 PM

No increase in SS this year... That is old news...

I did see a recent headline that said the no increase was due to lower gasoline prices of late...

Didn't bother to read the article, as we know the ending already..

Take care..
Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 PM

After reading about this my sister thought she should probably sign up for part B before Jan 1st.
Today she called medicare to talk to them about the increase and they still don't have any information on it. She specifically asked if I sign up for part B today it is $104, right? And was told yes. She then asked what will it cost if I wait till Jan, and the answer was we don't know.

She said the first recorded message asked questions she answered, and then it said if you are calling about a part B increase, call back. That was it.

So I'm not sure they still know what they are going to do for sure.

After making some calls last week it appears my best bet come Jan is to sign up for medicare A, B, and D, and let my ACA insurance drop. Unfortunately I turn 65 in April so they won't send me anything until Jan, and if the cost goes up for part B I'll be hit with it.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:04 AM

I read that as part of the debt limit deal house has worked out they are talking about a fix that would cover these increases.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:43 PM

I take it this is what you're talking about.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-26-12-34-27

Quote:
The deal would also avert a looming shortfall in the Social Security disability trust fund that threatened to slash benefits, and head off an unprecedented increase in Medicare premiums for outpatient care for about 15 million beneficiaries.
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...in-budget-deal

Quote:
GOP leaders and the White House are pushing structural reforms to Social Security and Medicare that would avert the double-digit increases expected next year for many beneficiaries in both programs while saving billions in other areas.

A key piece of the budget deal — and one of its costliest provisions — staves off a 52 percent premium hike that would have hit 8 million Medicare Part B enrollees next year. That fix, which is the result of a glitch in federal benefits law, is estimated to cost nearly $8 billion.

The deal would also prevent a 20 percent across-the-board cut in Social Security disability benefits for 11 million people next year, which was the result of a quickly drying-up trust fund.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM

After reading some more it appears the debt deal for part B will still give an increase but instead of $150 a month it will be around $120.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
After reading some more it appears the debt deal for part B will still give an increase but instead of $150 a month it will be around $120.
I haven't seen a specific amounts but once again this only applies to those not protected by the " hold harmless ruled" ( mostly new enrollees) - namely new enrollees.

Here once again is a good run down of the issue.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...increases.html

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-28-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...care-premiums/

Quote:
Under the agreement, Medicare’s Part B premiums for this group of roughly 15 million people will increase from the current rate of $104.90 per month to $120 per month next year, plus a $3 surcharge. After holding level since 2013, the monthly premiums for these people would have soared to nearly $160 without the legislative adjustment.