BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Buts let's not but scare people . If you are already in Medicare part b and are in SS already you will not be affected

From the article

Quote:
This affected group of Medicare patients was ensnared by a wrinkle in federal rules because their insurance premiums are not automatically subtracted from a Social Security check. Among this group are people who do not collect Social Security, will be enrolling in Medicare’s Part B next year for the first time, have incomes great enough that they are charged higher premiums, or are poor enough that they also qualify for Medicaid.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Buts let's not but scare people . If you are already in Medicare part b and are in SS already you will not be affected

From the article
Unless the bill is approved to switch to the more accurate CPI-E. Then it affect everybody but would not be as much as now the increase would be spread among everybody instead of just the new applied.

My opinion the price should be same for everybody as you are now creating a different class of people based on when they were unlucky enough to sign up for it.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Buts let's not but scare people .
How is posting a link to various articles explaining the facts scaring people?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 PM

I guess it's just me sorry. But he link to me wasn't clear. That existing enrollees are not effected .

Once again sorry .
Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Unless the bill is approved to switch to the more accurate CPI-E. Then it affect everybody but would not be as much as now the increase would be spread among everybody instead of just the new applied.

My opinion the price should be same for everybody as you are now creating a different class of people based on when they were unlucky enough to sign up for it.

The increase will NOT effect everyone due to the hold harmless clause of existing law.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
The increase will NOT effect everyone due to the hold harmless clause of existing law.
You must not have read the proposed bill H.R. 1984

If passed then it affect everybody as everybody's SS will go up.

However do not see a chance in it being even voted on as the bill was proposed by democrats.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:
You must not have read the proposed bill H.R. 1984

If passed then it affect everybody as everybody's SS will go up.

However do not see a chance in it being even voted on as the bill was proposed by democrats.
Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. We are refferingbto the debt ceiling law, that's just passed by house and senate

if you have something else please provide a link

Otherwise NO !
Old 10-29-2015, 12:22 AM

Bones
I looked up the bill you referred to.
Candidly I didn't even bother to read it . It was proposed by democract Rep DeFazio and has died in committee in April.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...84/all-actions

The bill I and Hunter are discussing is the the debt ceiling bill that passed the house this afternoon and will be in senate tomorrow.
I no now understand. That Senator Paul may filibuster it " but not because of anything to do with SS part B premium."

Part b premium increase. Do not effect " everyone"...due to the " hold harmless clause" in existing law .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-29-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Bones
I looked up the bill you referred to.
Candidly I didn't even bother to read it . It was proposed by democract Rep DeFazio and has died in committee in April.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...84/all-actions

The bill I and Hunter are discussing is the the debt ceiling bill that passed the house this afternoon and will be in senate tomorrow.
I no now understand. That Senator Paul may filibuster it " but not because of anything to do with SS part B premium."

Part b premium increase. Do not effect " everyone"...due to the " hold harmless clause" in existing law .
Then I had the wrong bill number as it has been reproposed again.

For those that do not understand CPI-E It is based on items that elderly typically purchase and not the average consumer purchases. CPI-E for this year would give a raise to SS. However as it has been proposed by a "D" I do not see any movement on it.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Then I had the wrong bill number as it has been reproposed again.

For those that do not understand CPI-E It is based on items that elderly typically purchase and not the average consumer purchases. CPI-E for this year would give a raise to SS. However as it has been proposed by a "D" I do not see any movement on it.
Then tell me what it is so I can read it .

Bottom line is the holdharmless clause means that in yeas the cola is zero. Ones SS check cannot decrease due to Medicare cost increase.

That's the law and it has not changed.

T
Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 AM

The Senate passed it last night, so those who already have part B will not see an increase. Those like myself that will be going on next year will now see a smaller increase. That is if none of the wording had been changed from what I'd read before.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM

I honestly do not think CPI-E would help us seniors. Some things us seniors use less of and some we use more of. Our medical and drugs and housing.

I have Paid Medicare 12 years from SS check. My other Med Ins came up $9.10 a month for 2016. Good to hear it passed.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:26 PM

Whether cpi-e would help me or not is immaterial. I do not believe there should be one method for one segment of population and another for others. Same rules for all. There is already to much "us" and "them" in this country .
Old 10-30-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Then tell me what it is so I can read it .

Bottom line is the holdharmless clause means that in yeas the cola is zero. Ones SS check cannot decrease due to Medicare cost increase.

That's the law and it has not changed.

T
I do not think it would ever pass anyway. hr3351

http://www.fedsmith.com/2015/08/05/c...n-your-future/

Last edited by Bones; 10-30-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I do not think it would ever pass anyway. hr3351

http://www.fedsmith.com/2015/08/05/c...n-your-future/
Just a bit of advice- to get the up to date status of a bill you should check on Thomas .
This one is dead in subcommittee and dies at end of this congress.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d114:H.R.3351:

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-30-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Just a bit of advice- to get the up to date status of a bill you should check on Thomas .
This one is dead in subcommittee and dies at end of this congress.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d114:H.R.3351:

Clicked on your link and nowhere did it say it died. And if it dies in Dec nothing prevents it from coming back again. Bills do this all the time.

No need to act so condescending in replies. I know how congress works and all I said was there was a bill to adjust ss based on CPI-E and nothing more.

You make it dang difficult to discuss anything when you are acting so condescending

8/6/2015 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:02 PM

Y
Quote:
Clicked on your link and nowhere did it say it died. And if it dies in Dec nothing prevents it from coming back again. Bills do this all the time.

No need to act so condescending in replies. I know how congress works and all I said was there was a bill to adjust ss based on CPI-E and nothing more.

You make it dang difficult to discuss anything when you are acting so condescending

8/6/2015 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs.
Un

Ifs bill has been in some level of committee that long and it's Nov with less than 45 days left in session it's dead.

Not trying to be difficult but this bill had nothing to do with subject at hand - part b premium increases for new enrollees only .

IN your original post on this you claimed that unless your CPI-e bill was passed part b premium increases would affect everyone which was false. Going to not going to CPI-e had nothing to do with the increase in part b premiums new enrollees. That's why I so persistent . Even if some how the bill you referred to became law it would have no effect on Medicare part b premiums. Medicare premiums are based on program cost not cola . So new enrollees would still have seen the new rates.

Quote:
Unless the bill is approved to switch to the more accurate CPI-E.
Then it affect everybody
but would not be as much as now the increase would be spread among everybody instead of just the new applied.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-31-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Y
Un

Ifs bill has been in some level of committee that long and it's Nov with less than 45 days left in session it's dead.

Not trying to be difficult but this bill had nothing to do with subject at hand - part b premium increases for new enrollees only .

IN your original post on this you claimed that unless your CPI-e bill was passed part b premium increases would affect everyone which was false. Going to not going to CPI-e had nothing to do with the increase in part b premiums new enrollees. That's why I so persistent . Even if some how the bill you referred to became law it would have no effect on Medicare part b premiums. Medicare premiums are based on program cost not cola . So new enrollees would still have seen the new rates.

No if you re read what I said. I will explain it. If the bill is approved to base it on CPI-E then everybody's Medicare rates would go up as everybody would get an increase in their SS payments. So the hold harmless clause would not be in play. However the increase would not be as much since there is a larger amount of people to spread the increase across.

"Unless the bill is approved to switch to the more accurate CPI-E. Then it affect everybody but would not be as much as now the increase would be spread among everybody instead of just the new applied. "
Old 10-31-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
No if you re read what I said. I will explain it. If the bill is approved to base it on CPI-E then everybody's Medicare rates would go up as everybody would get an increase in their SS payments. So the hold harmless clause would not be in play. However the increase would not be as much since there is a larger amount of people to spread the increase across.

"Unless the bill is approved to switch to the more accurate CPI-E. Then it affect everybody but would not be as much as now the increase would be spread among everybody instead of just the new applied. "
I read exactly what you said and now that you have clarified I agree .
Old 10-31-2015, 11:42 PM

H
Quote:

No that you have clarified it would be true only as long as the new CPI e increase was larger than the med part b increase . Hold harkess means SS checks can not go down.

Let's see 104 to 120 is a 16% increase.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-31-2015 at 11:48 PM.