BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Master Pontificator

I don't know if there's another thread that specifically deals with what I'm experiencing, so I'll post here.

I am a senior citizen classified as having extremely low income.
I receive $753 per month total from SS/SSDI.

My Medicare premiums, deductible and co-pays were covered by a state program called QMB.

I've just received a letter stating that the state will no longer be offering assistance.

The problem is that the income limit is $750 per month, I get $3 more, so that disqualifies me and in their minds, indicates that I can afford to pay the premium, deductible and co-pays myself.

The letter says they will be taking $300 out of my Jan. 2016 check to cover past due payments plus the current amount due.

That leaves me with a little over $400 to live on next month.

I did hear of another woman who experienced the same theft of her money, and she was said to have received another letter stating that a new program would be stepping in to take over and that she would be receiving a refund.

Does anyone know about this? It's quite a surprise, and there's nothing you can do about it. Merry Christmas indeed.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Bummer.

750/m is only 9000/yr. Get on the Obummercare site. I should think you'd qualify for the credits/Medicaid help from the feds.

Another way to handle it is drop all coverage if you monthly med bill is less than your premiums. If you do get sick and wind up in the hospital, believe me, the soc serv dept there will do all the scrambling necessary to see that they get you qualified. They want their money and they know going to court against you will not get them much. You can;t get blood out of a turnip.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Master Pontificator

I have Medicaid. It pays for office calls, etc. The Medicare coverage I have is for hospitalization and long term care. I don't use either one.

The doctors who accept the Medicaid are the bottom of the barrel. You get a canned speech, nothing more. Worthless.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 PM

I think your annual income has to be $11,700 to qualify for a health care subsidy.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Master Pontificator

That's poverty level. I'm below, which is why I have the bare bones coverage that I have. Now that they're planning to take $100 out of my check going forward, that drops me to $7,896 a year. It's a loss of $1,100 in my SS benefit.

The government gives and it takes away.

I was a stay at home wife and mother all of my adult life. Big mistake.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 PM

I for one would like to know how you can have long term care with medicare hospital part. ? Far as I know short tern after hospital to recover. I pay Medicare and rocky mountain and neither has long term care for me. I am 84 . On SS only, RM will go up 9 dollars this coming year. I have copays.

Try for food stamps and gov boxes of food and food pantry. My income is a bit too high for stamps and boxes.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Master Pontificator

Sorry, I had it reversed. Like I've said, I don't use the coverage.

Amerigroup is Medicaid and the card says:

Long term services and supports benefits only.
You receive primary, acute and behavioral health services through Medicare. You receive only long term services and supports through Amerigroup.

My Medicare card says I have A and B.

It doesn't really matter. When a doctor's office says they accept Medicare it has meant I pay up front and seek reimbursement myself. It means being treated like crap. It means that the doctor or PA couldn't care less. Wrong info in my chart, being yelled at for not giving a yes or no answer, being given a prescription without bothering to talk to me about possible problems first......

Screw it.

As for food boxes, there used to be some delivered here, but they quit coming. I receive $81 a month in food stamps, and I am trying to wean myself off. The food pantry is laughable. Produce that should be composted or fed to livestock. OLD canned goods, some bent in half, or so dented they can't be opened. Frozen meat items with punctured wrappings. No thanks!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Part B is costing you $104/month. What is your monthly doc bill?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Master Pontificator

I don't have monthly doctor bills. I don't take prescription meds. I take generic Ibuprofen, Zyrtec and Sudafed only when absolutely necessary. Half doses work. I keep track on the calendar. This year so far I've taken 28 Zyrtec, 6 Sudafed and 5 Ibuprofen. Excessive.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I was a stay at home wife and mother all of my adult life. Big mistake.
So was my wife. Then when she became disabled 11 years ago she got nothing. Now we both have to survive on one persons SS benefit.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Master Pontificator

Did she apply for disability?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
So was my wife. Then when she became disabled 11 years ago she got nothing. Now we both have to survive on one persons SS benefit.
Why cant she file for Social Security on your benefits?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I don't have monthly doctor bills. I don't take prescription meds.
So basically, you're pouring $104/ m down the toilet for Part B.

Insurance is a gamble: you're betting the ins co that you're going to get sick. They're betting you you're not. ..You're hoping they win and are willing to pay for it.

You have Part A and Medicaid. At your income you must qualify for that. That'll cover the hospital. If you have docs that don;t accept Medicaid, then you are "self pay" as far as they're concerned. If you run up a bill with them, you work out terms. The courts are lenient about med debts usually: if you make even a little progress, like even $10/m you're usually ok.

You may even just up & die before it gets paid off....if you're lucky

You could also put away the $104/m, usable for medical or any emergency bill. In 5 yrs, you'd have over $5000 there, more if invested.

Everybody's situation is different in evaluating risk/reward. Give it some thought.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Did she apply for disability?
Yes - she tried. You need to have worked at least 5 years in the last 15 years to qualify for SSDI - no go. Can not qualify for SSI due to having too much in assets (which isn't much at all - trust me). It seems you need to be just about destitute to qualify. I worked for 35 years steadily so yes, I do have a little money saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Why cant she file for Social Security on your benefits?
I don't know how that works. I'm not actually retired (disabled due to Rheumatoid Arthritis).
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
So basically, you're pouring $104/ m down the toilet.
I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE, this was not my decision. My landlord says she's had tenants have to pay it one year and not the next, on a rotating basis. It's bizarre.

I'm waiting to see what comes next.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I don't know if there's another thread that specifically deals with what I'm experiencing, so I'll post here.

I am a senior citizen classified as having extremely low income.
I receive $753 per month total from SS/SSDI.

My Medicare premiums, deductible and co-pays were covered by a state program called QMB.

I've just received a letter stating that the state will no longer be offering assistance.

The problem is that the income limit is $750 per month, I get $3 more, so that disqualifies me and in their minds, indicates that I can afford to pay the premium, deductible and co-pays myself.

The letter says they will be taking $300 out of my Jan. 2016 check to cover past due payments plus the current amount due.

That leaves me with a little over $400 to live on next month.

I did hear of another woman who experienced the same theft of her money, and she was said to have received another letter stating that a new program would be stepping in to take over and that she would be receiving a refund.

Does anyone know about this? It's quite a surprise, and there's nothing you can do about it. Merry Christmas indeed.

That's bad.
Here is the web site I found. Maybe it can help . From what I see you QMB will still pay part b premiums so you health insurance is ok. The in one limit there is 981 but the Cash assistance (Dollar for dollar under the limit)you were getting under is the problem.

There is a help number - benifit counselling program 1-800-252-9248

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/hi...apnews400.html

Hope it helps you .
Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Master Pontificator

Thank you, MissouriFree. From what I've heard, this is something that is done by the powers that be and they let you know as a courtesy. If I don't like it, and I don't, I can do what I'm planning to do, which is draw on my ex's account. That will significantly increase my income. I hope....

I have an appointment with SS in early January.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you, MissouriFree. From what I've heard, this is something that is done by the powers that be and they let you know as a courtesy. If I don't like it, and I don't, I can do what I'm planning to do, which is draw on my ex's account. That will significantly increase my income. I hope....

I have an appointment with SS in early January.

Beaucrats don't usually think . They follow the rules and if the limit is a set amount. One dollar over us a good as 1000 dollars over to them.

Good luck

Mo
Old 12-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Fortunately, I live a no frills life.

This is the kind of thing we prep for.

This is why I buy a 25# bag of flour and store it in the freezer and
why I buy fabric, yarn, clothing or anything else I use when it's deeply discounted whether I need it right now or not.

It's why I cook from scratch.

Next month will not be easy, but I won't be eating my cat's food. ��
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
Yes - she tried. You need to have worked at least 5 years in the last 15 years to qualify for SSDI - no go. Can not qualify for SSI due to having too much in assets (which isn't much at all - trust me). It seems you need to be just about destitute to qualify. I worked for 35 years steadily so yes, I do have a little money saved.

I don't know how that works. I'm not actually retired (disabled due to Rheumatoid Arthritis).
If she is 62 she files. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html

Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. You can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

Note: If you are divorced, you may still be able to get benefits on your ex-spouse's record. For information on the requirements for Divorced Spouse's Benefits,