BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
If she is 62 she files. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html

Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. You can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

Note: If you are divorced, you may still be able to get benefits on your ex-spouse's record. For information on the requirements for Divorced Spouse's Benefits,
Thanks for the info. But I am 57 and she is 55
Old 12-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
Thanks for the info. But I am 57 and she is 55
IF she is disabled she can file for SSI disability not a requirement to have worked to be accepted into the program.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/ssi...fit-claim.html

Unfortunately, most SSI claims are denied after the initial application, and the disability claimant must appeal. The entire appeal process can stretch out to more than two years and perhaps as long as three years. Why so long? Partially because the first appeal (called a review, or reconsideration) can take just as long as the initial SSI disability claim, but mainly because the second appeal (a request for a hearing) can sometimes take over two years! Just getting a hearing date before a disability judge can take over a year.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, most SSI claims are denied after the initial application, .
You can show up with no arms or legs and in an iron lung and you'll get turned down the first time. In 40 yrs of answering med records requests for my pts to SS, I've never known acceptance on the first try. Lawyers here won't even consider taking your case until you've been turned down. With a lawyer, a mosquito bite is often good enuff.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
IF she is disabled she can file for SSI disability not a requirement to have worked to be accepted into the program.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/ssi...fit-claim.html

Unfortunately, most SSI claims are denied after the initial application, and the disability claimant must appeal. The entire appeal process can stretch out to more than two years and perhaps as long as three years. Why so long? Partially because the first appeal (called a review, or reconsideration) can take just as long as the initial SSI disability claim, but mainly because the second appeal (a request for a hearing) can sometimes take over two years! Just getting a hearing date before a disability judge can take over a year.
Tried that many years ago (SSI). Her application was rejected because of having too many assets to qualify.

That's what I get for working my butt off for 35 years......
Old 12-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Master Pontificator

My disability application was accepted without denial. I did not get a lawyer. The entire process took 8 months.

I answered every question with a detailed answer (mini essay). I told them more than they needed to know. I packaged it all in a bright red folder and mailed it off.

When one of the doctors I saw failed to submit the necessary paperwork, SS called and told me I would have to go through the process again. I told them to stand by. I called the local police in the town where this doctor was located and asked if this doctor had been in an accident. They said no, so I called the local newspaper and asked if there had been any fires, etc. involving this doctor. Again, the answer was no, but the lady told me where her husband worked and gave me the phone number. I called, he had just left but the receptionist gave me his cell phone number. I called, left a message and 2 days later SS called and told me the report had miraculously showed up in their fax machine that morning. 😁
Old 12-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Update: I found out that the reason for the $300+ deduction from my SS check next month was due to a computer interface glitch that affected 9,000 people in Central Texas. The count was 3,500 on Monday and 9,000 on Tuesday so it may have gone even higher by now. There was never a problem with Medicaid covering my Medicare expenses.

I'm told my check will come to me in 3 parts. I'll believe it when I see it!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:55 AM

Great news !!! So happy for you.have Merry Christmas .

Mo
Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Master Pontificator

Thank you. What a way to end the year! 😃
Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM

I know I have not gotten any paper from SS for taxes Usually out by now. .
Old 12-19-2015, 11:53 PM

I got a note from Social Security today.. The two things they said were I would be getting $5. more as my part C payment would go down..

Also.. That I am going to be 66 years old for the whole year of 2016, I can make all the wages I want with no deduction of benefit...

Was that a hint to get a job ??

Actually... I should find something to do part time at least..
I don't want to do much... And am sure I won't make much at it either...

Maybe cart guy at the grocery ?? I imagine they have trouble finding someone for that in winter...

"Welcome to Oles Grocery... Get your stuff and get out.... Have a nice day...
Old 12-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Master Pontificator

I think Wal-Mart is going to bring back greeters. That would be a good PT gig, you might get an employee discount.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I think Wal-Mart is going to bring back greeters. That would be a good PT gig, you might get an employee discount.
==
Chuckle...... I'd last 5 minutes total... It would be my luck some dumb bell would come in first thing and immediately say something exceptionally stupid...

And you KNOW I couldn't not respond to that....

That is why people keep reminding stupid people they are stupid...
Just in case they forget at times...

And yes... I have had to defend myself for being that way... And will do it again if necessary...

KnowwhatImean...
Old 12-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Master Pontificator

Sometimes you just have to smile, and not respond. There's a lady who rides the bus who told me she had gotten a job through United Health Care, packing apples in Colorado. She starts in March, they're paying for her flight out there and she also gets free housing. The job is a secret deal because the govt is trying to get rid of the Mafia. She's been buying up white linens, towels, etc. at Wal-Mart because the govt is very specific!

Another day she tells me that the PBS program about history through food is actually filmed in the White House kitchen. Cast iron pots over an open fire, etc. But it's a secret. Shhhh....

😊
Old 12-20-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Sometimes you just have to smile, and not respond. There's a lady who rides the bus who told me she had gotten a job through United Health Care, packing apples in Colorado. She starts in March, they're paying for her flight out there and she also gets free housing. The job is a secret deal because the govt is trying to get rid of the Mafia. She's been buying up white linens, towels, etc. at Wal-Mart because the govt is very specific!

Another day she tells me that the PBS program about history through food is actually filmed in the White House kitchen. Cast iron pots over an open fire, etc. But it's a secret. Shhhh....

😊
===
This is funny in a way, but not other ways... KnowwhatImean...

Completely different thing compared to people who are able to think, but don't... Those are the ones I don't have patience with.. And as I get older I have less patience, and more vocal..

One of my oft used shortcuts I use on a son-in-law and a daughter-in-law who deserve it more often than should be, is GHOYA.....
(close enough to standing for ''get you head out of your a$$)

Take care..
Old 12-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Master Pontificator

I used to be amused by the "in the head out the mouth" comments made by older folks who seemed to have a broken filter. Now it's happening to me, and I am not happy about it.

I recently went to 2 local stores looking for cat wormer. One was out, the other had prices so high that I blurted out that there was no way on God's green earth that I was going to pay that much for something I could get much cheaper on Amazon and this is why I feel absolutely no guilt for not shopping local because you never have what I need and you charge too much!

And I walked out.

I should feel ashamed, but I don't. I feel that they're taking advantage, especially in a small town where there are so few stores.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM

I did get the SS statement how much will get this next yeat minus medicare. Same as this year as expected.

Small towns do charge more. Saves trip to city. Here you have to make trips to the city. Mom and pop stores high any where.. Grocery here is supper market and still higher. You have to plan a ahead. Turkey for Xmas I bought on sale in city first week of Nov as that is when cheapest. Son and his wife take lot of leftovers home and I have plenty. I cook a lot. I am heating and eating. Put some turkey in freezer and should do me 4 meals.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I did get the SS statement how much will get this next yeat minus medicare. Same as this year as expected.

Small towns do charge more. Saves trip to city. Here you have to make trips to the city. Mom and pop stores high any where.. Grocery here is supper market and still higher. You have to plan a ahead. Turkey for Xmas I bought on sale in city first week of Nov as that is when cheapest. Son and his wife take lot of leftovers home and I have plenty. I cook a lot. I am heating and eating. Put some turkey in freezer and should do me 4 meals.
I've noticed that if a regularly stocked item becomes popular the price goes up. The 1# tube of fresh ground turkey just recently went up from $2.50 to $2.76 each. Wal-Mart can hardly keep it in stock. I'm hoping to buy 12 this coming month, if I can.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:43 PM

I use to season up ground turkey like sausage and 1# I would make 5 thin patties and freeze. Take out frozen fry it and make a hot sandwich. Fried fast. Store they said had two roasting chickens and were $15 and $17. 15# turkey did not cost close to that. Nearest Walmart is like 75 and 90 miles. Things keep coming up. Gas to city is not cheap if you drive.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I use to season up ground turkey like sausage and 1# I would make 5 thin patties and freeze. Take out frozen fry it and make a hot sandwich. Fried fast. Store they said had two roasting chickens and were $15 and $17. 15# turkey did not cost close to that. Nearest Walmart is like 75 and 90 miles. Things keep coming up. Gas to city is not cheap if you drive.
Chickens that expensive should come gift wrapped!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 PM

So did anyone who is not on Social Security notice a raise in their Medicare premiums?