BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Default sick room?

My dh and I are in a disagreement over a having a sick room in the farmhouse, he says a separate room will not prevent others from catching a virus or flu because the room is in the same house, I say it will, if they can be isolated early in the virus.

This room is in the back of the farmhouse away from the main living areas, very nice room with lots of windows for fresh air and a door leading out to the back deck. I think getting this room ready and stocked before flu season comes is a good idea. What do you all think?
Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

If you all live in the same house it will be too late to isolate someone.
By the time you know they are sick everyone else will all ready be exposed.
However if you do want a sick room then you need to make sure the air pressure in the room is lower than the other rooms.
In other words the sick room should be sucking air into it and not blowing air out.
A fan in a window blowing out should be enough.
Next problem is who is going to care for the sick person?
How will you prevent them from being exposed and carrying the virus to others?
I think the best thing you can do is make hand washing for everyone a top priority and stay away from people as much as you can.
Especially kids, they're walking germ factories.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Master Pontificator

I agree with Backlash, by the time someone shows symptoms, they have already exposed everyone else. Hand washing, disinfect door knobs, light switches etc. daily during cold/flu season. If you think someone may be coming down with something, I break out the chicken soup pronto! I know some people think this is rubbish, but it works for us!

A sick room might give someone a quiet place to recover but without lower air pressure, you can still be spreading germs every time you open the door. The caretaker would have to disinfect themselves every time they left the sick room. Probably not practical on the homestead, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM

It is possible that having a "sick room" may prevent spread of droplet-transmitted diseases. Hospitals do this all the time with flu and other such diseases. Hand washing and keeping common surfaces clean can also help. Alcohol-based sanitizers work great with bacteria, but I am not convinced they help with most viruses. (In studies done during the H1N1 scare a few years ago, they were not shown to prevent flu transmission.) Negative pressure in the room is a good idea, but not easily done at home, especially if you have a forced-air heating system, but most droplets will not travel more than 6 to 10 feet. True airborne diseases (see CDC link below) will spread no matter what unless you use extreme precautions.

You could stock you sick room with supplies such as gloves, N-95 masks, and disinfectants for hard surfaces. That would help protect caregivers and may help prevent further spread of droplet diseases.

http://microbiology.mtsinai.on.ca/fa...smission.shtml

http://www.drgreene.com/articles/droplet-transmission/

http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/settings/outp...ecautions.html
Old 09-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Gotta agree that "sanitizing" is a futile endeavor with viruses. You spread influenza and the common cold by picking up secretions dried on some surface with your hands , then inserting the germs with your finger into your eye, nose or mouth with a casual scratch, etc. Just keep your hands away from your face.

At the first sign of a cold, raise your body temp by bundling up and eating & drinking hot fluids & soups. That raises your body temp from the inside. Running a fever is "nature's way" of fighting the virus.

The more colds you catch when you're younger, the less problems you'll have as you age: you become immune to each strain you contact.

If you take the flu shot, you'll only get temporary immunity for 3-6 months. Naturally acquired immunity lasts a lifetime. Flu only kills people so feeble that they're looking for an excuse to die.

Influenza is just a really nasty cold. The strain that went around during the WW I yrs killed a lot of people. But it's the only outbreak that was like that and nobody knows what was different about it: was it the strain or was it just the fact that it occurred during the war with all it's stress and malnutrition?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 PM

As a rule of thumb, people start shedding a virus BEFORE a person spikes a temp. So, yes, isolation would protect anybody who has not inhaled the virus or touched a contaminated surface and then touched their face, but, frequent handwashing will do the same. I would not isolate a sick person

Of course, sleeping the same bed as someone who has the flu is a GREAT way to catch it. I would not isolate someone who was sick, but a separate bed to sleep in might not be a bad idea. Your spouse might not even object if you made it plain thy were welcome at the table and during the day. I would not ever isolate a sick child either unless it was life threatening. Encouraging a a child to rest and asking them if you can get them something from the kitchen is less upsetting and t would work as well, and you must check a child often anyways.

Lastly, I would not bundle up to increase body temperature: I would trust my body to make a temp if it was needed.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Interesting concept. I agree with your husband that a special isolation room once someone is symptomatic may be a room that ends up getting little use. Also, don't worry about the lower pressurization, either. Germs, even viruses, just aren't that robust. You don't have to create a class 9 clean room in your own home to prevent others from getting sick.

Your biggest threat is the outside world - other humans and animal diseases. Your family is used to each others' germs. It is the new germs from non-family sources that is your main concern.

With this in mind, you could consider using that back room as a transition center between the outside world and the safe, clean environment inside. That room would be where you'd receive visitors and isolate them from the rest of the house. That room could also be where you strip down, change clothes and clean up from being outside. The rest of the house can be filled with items that are never exposed to the outside world. In clean room speak, the back room and the entire outside world would be considered "dirty" and everything inside the house would be "clean". Never let the two mix.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks, for all the info. After having the flu last winter I am trying my best to avoid getting sick this year. That flu made me sicker than I have ever been in my life and took me a long time to get over it. Anyone know if those little machines called air sanitizers work or just a waste of money?
Thanks
Old 09-13-2015, 02:35 AM

If you're the one who got sick ...

~ Be religious about never touching your face unless it is immediately after washing your hands.

~ Wash hands with running, warm/hot water and soap. Sing "Happy Birthday", "Twinkle, Twinkle" or the "ABC song" to make sure you wash long enough.

~ Dry your hands with paper towels - not with a blow dryer.

~ If you use a towel, be the only person who uses it.

~ Be sure to wash under and around your fingernails.

~ Wear shoes, preferably with socks. Sandals are germ magnets and if you don't shower or wash your feet right before bed, you're inserting all those germs into your bed.

~ Of course, wash hands before eating, after eating, before preparing food and after preparing food.

~ Wash your hands immediately upon entering the house. Disinfect door knobs, cabinet handles, cell phones, keyboards, remotes ... frequently.

~ MOISTURIZE! Germs love to hide in the cracks of dry skin. With all that hand washing, you have to moisturize.

~ Consider using hand sanitizer. This is NOT a substitute for hand washing. It is in addition to.

The good news is now that you've had one strain of the flu, your body will be much more responsive to similar strains and your immune system will react quickly.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:59 PM

it will be a good place to put someone who is sick so that they will be out of sight and out of mind.

I can't stand being around sick people, moaning and crying all the time, I hate listening to them coughing gaging gasping and the incessant "help me , help me"