BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:02 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Working and Fixing the Yanmar

So, I dead headed my hydraulic pump on the Yanmar. Typical newbie mistake.

But - learned a lot about the hydraulic system, and the fix was cheap. A shaft key, couple of gaskets and O-rings. I consider the experience a good one.

Had a leak on the fuel bowl, fixed that too - and learned a bit about bleeding the fuel system.

I love this tractor (Yanmar 2420D), and it sure helps clear the property.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:16 AM

Default Yanmar

A good site for Yanmar parts. They also have good service and a knowledge center that is very helpful.

http://www.hoyetractor.com
Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 PM

I had a 220D I bought new in 1985. (22hp)

Kept it unil 1998, when I moved up to a New Holland 1925 (33hp) w/front end loader....and FELs are GREAT ! let me tell ya ! Set of pallet forks and everything goes on pallets to get moved around.

2012, sold the New Holland, and bought a 41hp LX410 Yanmar. Good stout tractor. Much better loader than the NH.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwnmt View Post
A good site for Yanmar parts. They also have good service and a knowledge center that is very helpful.

http://www.hoyetractor.com
I agree - that was where I did most of my research then purchased gaskets, O-rings, filters, and shaft key (which was the problem).
Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAndy View Post
I had a 220D I bought new in 1985. (22hp)

Kept it unil 1998, when I moved up to a New Holland 1925 (33hp) w/front end loader....and FELs are GREAT ! let me tell ya ! Set of pallet forks and everything goes on pallets to get moved around.

2012, sold the New Holland, and bought a 41hp LX410 Yanmar. Good stout tractor. Much better loader than the NH.
I have a FEL on mine, and also a backhoe. That's actually how I deadheaded the pump - I attached the backhoe, then when I was done with that I detached it. After detaching, before I re-attached the FEL, I started it up and drove forward about 10'.

I'm pretty sure I won't make that mistake again.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Glad it was a reasonably easy fix.. That always helps..

You lucky duck... There have been a dozen or more times I would have killed for a back hoe for my tractor.. Would have made some projects a lot easier.. I've had a number of holes in the place where BIG trees have tipped over and left a significant hole where the root ball pulled up.. The wood rots and disappears quickly compared to the hole.. Even now some are still waist deep..

And moving rocks... Don't get me started.. It is not uncommon to scalp a rock with the mower deck that looks to be about the size of your palm.. But by the time you get it dug up and moved, it is as big as a wash tub.. NOT fun at times..

Good luck..
Old 10-30-2015, 11:49 PM
Master Pontificator

A FEL is great when it is needed, but mostly in the way when it is not needed. At least that is the way I feel about them.

We have a Yanmar 240D (twin cylinder 24HP 4WD diesel) that came factory equipped with a FEL & Backhoe. It was purchased used and is a specialty tractor about the place, but when needed it is handier than a pocket on a shirt.

All that extra weight from the FEL & Backhoe frame and being 4WD makes it also very usefully when something needs to be pulled.