BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Fishing Tackle Benefits - Nice to Have Old Friends

Old Friends and Family, you have to love them. Especially when they designate you to be a benefactor from their hoarding practices.

My Friend-Brother's Father - whom I've known for 30 years, was given a decree by his Wife that he had to slim down some of his fishing tackle.

This Man has bought sporting goods steadily for his whole life. His Wife asked me to come over and take some stuff of their hands - they are slimming down.

So, I was absolutely amazed when I hauled away about a dozen 5 gallon buckets and 4 large tackle boxes stuffed to their gills (yep, fishing reference).

Literally enough stuff to start a small tackle shop.

Won't have to buy fishing tackle for the rest of my life, or my Grandchildren - for that matter.

Good thing too - he's left handed, like me ...... for when he decides he definitely will no longer hunt.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 AM

You lucky duck....

Years ago I got an old rusty tackle box spray painted over how many times that was my Grandpas... I remember using out of that box as a kid..

Old corn cob, and chicken feather lures from the 1930s.. Old crumbly plastic worms he and I strung with hooks and braided line with a sewing needle.. Lots of stuff like that...

My x threw it out as junk to "de clutter" my life without asking.... In her "get under my skin phase".... Didn't work..

PICTURES..... WE NEED PICTURES....

Enjoy..
Old 10-16-2015, 12:56 AM

Heh, I plan on laying it all out and re-organizing and have all my Family re-stock their gear - will take pictures then ... although it might be early spring.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Master Pontificator

Absolutely, refreshing to have such a benefactor.

Over the years, I have been the thankful recipient of similar generosity, on a smaller scale though. My BIL is the luckiest person I know concerning such matters however. He like some other people I have known can fall into a cesspool and come out with a handful of diamonds.

My BIL did quite a few things for a neighbor over the years, that had fallen from a tree stand and broke his back. Even after the fall, this individual still hunted, until old enough he and his wife had made the decision to sell most of their furnishings and move into an assisted living facility. A few days before their estate sale was to commence, said individual phoned my BIL and asked him to come over. The BIL did as requested and after arriving at the neighbors said the neighbor told him, "You have did many things for me over the years and never accepted any pay, but before the estate sale begins I want you to look over my collection of guns and pick any two you want. All I ask is you keep the guns and remember me whenever you use or handle them." As you said about you and the benefactor being both left handed, so were the BIL and his neighbor. The BIL picked out two pristine left hand bolt guns one in 7-08 and the other in 257 Roberts. That was a day he will remember for a very long time.

Last edited by Jjr; 10-17-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: for clarification
Old 10-19-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
That was a day he will remember for a very long time.
... and the BIL's neighbor will have many fine thoughts of how a couple of his cherished firearms will live on in the hands of another - by the sounds of it, an incredible person.

I love good Karma stories - thank you for sharing.